Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old May 29th, 2004, 08:34 PM

Has anyone?

Has anyone seen the new Canadian t.v. show Corner Gas? And if so what do you think of it? I don't know if we like it because its our brand of humor and if its only ours that scares me!!
Old May 29th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Chany I'd rather watch Trailor Park Boys LMAOOOOOOO!
Old May 29th, 2004, 11:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Naw,I just saw part of it,I don't know how you feel,but it seems to me we have so very few actors,the ones we have are in all the shows and movies
Old May 30th, 2004, 04:17 AM

Actors-?

You mention there being so few actors in Canada they seem to be in all the shows?? However the few they may have seem to be better than many in the states.
There are also very few (true) actors in the US and they aren't in enough shows.
Most of the faces we see gracing (?) the silver and made for T.V. screens are not true actors. They are simply over paid, egocentric dopes (of both genders and some in between) who listen to other's babble instead of evaluating their own professional development.
What is truly depressing is to watch a somewhat good - experienced and dedicated actor take roles that are not only embarrassing and humilating to
them and their public, but are so bad they will be remembered for their pitiful attempts instead of their few rare successes. Many actors simply yak and babble their way through scripts to make more money to pay for their life style and hopefully keep them afloat until they stumble onto another good acting role.
I would prefer to see a few good actors in good shows rather than a lot of half a$$ actors cranking out crap filled cinemas for the masses.
Another rant from a disgruntled American whose only personal association to the film industry is to be distantly related by marriage to Marlon Brando.
I shall now fumble my way to the temple of all power and wisdom and give thanks to Mr. Coffee while awaiting another sun rise over the great state of Michigan.
Woody
Old May 30th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Morn' Woody I did not say we have BAD actors,just not many
and Canada has produced some excellent movies...winning awards,like "Ararat"(SP)?
Also Canadian actors do not make $$20 million/per movie...
On the other hand there are many great American movies seen all over the world,many not so great.
I am of the generation that saw "Bridges over Madison County" at least 4 times,love Meryl Streep and Clint Eastwood and "Out of Africa",a wonderful movie,only two examples...
You chose what you want to see,I do not watch violent,martial arts or horror movies and there are actors and then the likes of Pamela Andersson(Canadian) and other plastic-dolls whom I would not consider watching.
But Woody,don't knock your actors,there are plenty of wonderful actors in the US,we in Canada have some too,just too few.
Old May 30th, 2004, 12:12 PM

But the best Canadian contribution so far is Jim Carrey. If you like humour that is!!Actually I was surprised once how many Canadian actors there are that have made it big. Brent Butt from Corner Gas grew up in our small town,
thats why I was asking! Actually the guy who plays his dad does pretty good as acting like some of the old timers around here!! Also Marion Ross from Happy Days grew up in a small town ( village more like )15 minutes from here. Its kind of neat.
Old May 30th, 2004, 04:12 PM

One of the best performances I've seen Carey do was in Man on the Moon. He did such a good job in that one, it almost made me want to reach for a tissue a few times.

Now, let's not forget about Bruno Gerussi! Or the guy who played Relic! I was so happy to see him get a few spots on the Xfiles in the last few seasons before the show folded. He played a great Government Military General guy. Very secretey, and hidey. I used to be a big fan of the xfiles.

The Brits are creating a reality TV show called "Watching paint dry." Guess what the characters do during the show..... We'll watch anything these days. Meant to be a parody of the current trend of reality shows.
Old May 30th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree,Jim Carey is great,as is Keanu Reeves(sp?)he's gorgeous by the way,but they do not make Canadian movies.To make money they have to go to the US.
But we can hardly compare ourselves to the US,since they have 4(at least) times the population of Canada.Any actor in the world has a dream of going to the US to make money.
Same as Swedish hockey-players and the NHL
Old May 30th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Senior Contributor

what was that show based in alaska (90's) with keanu reeves in it, you know the one, they had a moose in the begining, oh what is it, my mind is not helping me. he was really young back then and oh so spunky? comon guys help my memory...
oh i hated that carrey movie truman show, it was sooo mean i hated it. it was a sad movie, so not funny.
acting is a mugs game, it is widly known only 5% of actors actually work whilst the other 95% are currently wiping tables at your local cafe.
a really good english reality show was that '1940's house'. they had to live in the era and through the war, funny watching modern poeple try to adapt to the harshness of that life.
australia has a good one coming out, it is called frontiere house. it is basically based on the early days of white invasion in oz and people have to live in the era. i think it will be very interesting.
Old May 30th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Senior Contributor

my amazing mind just remembered that name the show with reeves in it was Northern Exposure. fantastic show. yay my brain for remembering something.
Old May 30th, 2004, 07:58 PM

I never knew Keanu starred in that . Heres another Canadian actor Matthew Perry off of Friends!!!
Old May 30th, 2004, 08:17 PM
Senior Contributor

keanu played the sexy bimbo bush man in that show, and he did a great job at it also, oh it was the highlight of my week when i was younger and single, oh me so bad sometimes, sheesh i must get control
Old May 30th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I never knew Perry was a CanEHdian cool!
Old May 30th, 2004, 10:59 PM
Senior Contributor

I've actually only seen one Jim Carey movie I think it was called Pet-Detective,not too bad...
There is also William Shatner,but he never knew how to act...can't stand to even look at him now
Old May 31st, 2004, 09:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Saw corner gas a few times kinda liked it.
Also like Trailer parks boys
Have watched Jim Carey many times like him as well.
I just like comedy period.
Old May 31st, 2004, 01:48 PM

I don't think that Keannu was in Northern Exposure Mel. Can't be sure but I really liked that show at the time and don't remember him on it. If that's the show you were thinking of. I remember when I got chicken pox back then, one station had a Northern Exposure marathon on. I laid on the couch for 12 straight hours watching that show. I had the hots for that femal bush pilot on the show. Can't remember her name now. She was hot.

Trailer Park Boys is one of the funniest shows on TV. I like Bubbles the best but all the characters are great! Finally they've got new episodes on the telly now. At least I think they are new.
Old May 31st, 2004, 05:34 PM
Senior Contributor

oh now im confused, i thought he was and when i type it into google his name comes up with the show stuff, the piolot was maggie occonnell played by janine turner i tinks. but it could have been played by yogi the bear the way my mind is going, toooo many brain dumps after exams has permanantly affected my memory (i kid you not).
but he was spunky anywasy who ever he was.
Old May 31st, 2004, 05:58 PM
Senior Contributor

And Jason Priestly(sp) is Canadian......

I watched a bit of that show Chany...Just couldn't get into it.

As for the TPB's,oh man,Brad is soooooo into that show....LOL

As for Canadian show and actors,I love my Paul Gross from Due South.He is such a sweetie.I have known him for about 10 years when he first did the show.A friend of mine is the Property Manager of a complex that has warehouses where filming is done.He also produced Men with Brooms and is in it..Also went to the set sale and got a few things there from the movie.I actually got to meet alot of actors.Sofia Loren,Leslie Neilson and so on.The last one was Adrian Paul from the show Highlander and Tracker.Man I love his Scottish accent.And he IS a babe.....