Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures > Pet free photography

Old November 3rd, 2007, 05:16 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

What bird shouldn't be in this picture

He's looking pretty robust still, but doesn't belong in a cold climate for sure.

Some other birds in the yard today as well, 3 pairs of cardinals, only managed to get shots of a few of them, they're too busy fighting over the territory right now. We had 13 cardinals here the winter before last. It was amazing.

Cindy
Attached Images

Old November 3rd, 2007, 05:18 PM
Senior Contributor

A few more

Our first white breasted nuthatch ever.
A chickadee and a female red winged blackbird getting a drink at the pond.

Cindy
Attached Images

Old November 3rd, 2007, 05:40 PM
Remembering Lukka

I love your bird pictures.
Chickadees, white breasted nuthatch and red winged blackbird are all birds I enjoy seeing. I often get the white breasted nuthatchs on my pear tree.
I find birds so much fun to watch, and some day hope to see a pileated woodpecker, a Mountain Bluebird and a Scarlet Tanager.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:03 PM
Young at Heart

Great bird pictures! Are you sure that's a Red-winged blackbird??? The ones I've seen don't have that light stripe down their heads/necks and are quite black.

That poor little blue boy - I do hope he finds an indoor home or he just won't make it through the winter...
Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanM View Post
Are you sure that's a Red-winged blackbird??? The ones I've seen don't have that light stripe down their heads/necks and are quite black.

That poor little blue boy - I do hope he finds an indoor home or he just won't make it through the winter...

It's a female red wing blackbird. Not as black and flashy as the males.

Yes, I worry about the budgie. It's been so cold here at night. I'm happy he's eating well anyway. Putting the cage outside to see if he'd go in it has been a waste of time. No birds will go in it. Even if the feeders are empty. Now the squirrels will go in and eat the seed.

Cindy
Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:58 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
It's a female red wing blackbird. Not as black and flashy as the males.

Yes, I worry about the budgie. It's been so cold here at night. I'm happy he's eating well anyway. Putting the cage outside to see if he'd go in it has been a waste of time. No birds will go in it. Even if the feeders are empty. Now the squirrels will go in and eat the seed.

Cindy

Awww poor little Budgie:sad:it's way to cold for him now. To bad you can't catch him, throw a net over him or something/

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old November 3rd, 2007, 08:33 PM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Poor budgie! :sad: I don't suppose he's chummy with humans, eh? Sigh...

I absolutely love chickadees and nuthatches (both red- and white-breasted). They're so tame at the feeders. Some days I'll be filling the feeders with my hands all over it and I'll hear a bird whir in from behind. If I freeze, chances are the chickadee or nuthatch will still come to the feeder with me standing there ...until the dogs rush over, anyway!

I think your red-winged blackbird is an immature male, Cindy. The females look very similar but have no rosy wing bar like the bird in the picture. That's a great shot, by the way!

Lukka'sma--we have pileated woodpeckers here all year (there are a pair nesting in the next yard) and we have scarlet tanagers all summer. When you comin' to visit? Eh? (You'll have to bring your own mountain bluebirds, though--all we have are the eastern variety. )

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 4th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Remembering Lukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Lukka'sma--we have pileated woodpeckers here all year (there are a pair nesting in the next yard) and we have scarlet tanagers all summer. When you comin' to visit? Eh? (You'll have to bring your own mountain bluebirds, though--all we have are the eastern variety. )

Eastern variety will do! I'm on my way
Old November 4th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Garden nut

If they won't go into the cage, why not try introducing hand feeding? People do that with hummingbirds all the time on YouTube. lol

But seriously, there's a guy that has a website out there on how to gain trust of wild birds that come to feed. I'll try to find it.

Poor budgie! Used to have a couple when I was a kid. Fun birds! We used to tape toothpicks underneath glass on a combo chair lamp/table, and when the birds were let out for play they would peck the glass and try to get the toothpick but never could. lol

When all else fails, stalk out the area with a huge net.
Old November 4th, 2007, 10:19 AM
-

What the heck is that budgie doing outside ? :sad: people just let them go ?
Old November 4th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
What the heck is that budgie doing outside ? :sad: people just let them go ?
I swear there are some people who get tired of the mess they make and just let them go I get some around here every year. I've managed to catch a couple over the years. The ones who've had little human contact are the ones that are the hardest to catch. You know, the people who get the birds, never play or talk to them, never finger tame them. It's a shame but they tend to be really skittish and impossible to get close enough to to catch if they're outside.

Cindy
Old November 4th, 2007, 12:40 PM

I would just die if my Boo-boo bird budgie ever got out side How sad looks like a little boy bird The wild bird pictures are beautiful
Old November 4th, 2007, 02:23 PM
-

Quote:
I swear there are some people who get tired of the mess they make and just let them go
Cindy
how responsable
Old November 4th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

I've had Budgies here too,the last 2,after trying Birdcages from HS,posters up and other tricks,were found dead in my frontyard one day in december,they cannot survive the cold,for sure:sad:
I had some pics,but I must have deleted them
People are such monsters sometimes:sad:
Old November 6th, 2007, 12:46 PM
cat slave

my mom's friend's hubby's kid has a budgie and his dad keeps joking he'll set him free in the spring cos he feels sorry for him being trapped in a cage. But he'll let him go in the spring...not NOW..cos you know the cold will get him...but of course next year won't have a winter obviously
Old November 6th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Senior Contributor

I haven't seen him for 2 days now, but it's almost dark when I get home at night with the time change

I should get home a little earlier tonight. I hope the poor little guy is still okay.

Cindy
Old November 6th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Jiorji,a Cage-Budgie will not survive in the wild,I watched the 2 I had at my feeders beeing attacked by other birds.
IMO,never set a domesticated bird"free"..they'll die.
Old November 6th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
I haven't seen him for 2 days now, but it's almost dark when I get home at night with the time change

I should get home a little earlier tonight. I hope the poor little guy is still okay.

Cindy
Have you tried baiting an open cage with a largish mirror? Likely the bird is more lonely than hungry--and all our budgies used to love their reflections. Don't know if it would work Worth a shot, maybe?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 6th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, I was home early enough this afternoon. Filled up the feeders again and no sign of him. :sad:
I hope someone caught him and not something like a hawk, cat or owl.

Cindy
Old November 7th, 2007, 02:37 AM
-

I hope so too.
Old November 7th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Senior Contributor

clm,the Oakville HS lent me a birdcage and gave me some budgie-food hoping I would be able to catch the 2 Budgies,but it did not work,maybe it would for you..but it's been soo cold and miserable :sad:
Old November 7th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Chico2, I have a few bird cages and did try a few. I've never had success catching budgies that way in the past, but I gave it a try anyway. I haven't seen this little guy since Sunday now.

Cindy
Old November 7th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Aww poor thing,it's so difficult when you are totally helpless to rescue them:sad:
Depending on how scared he is,you might be able to catch him in a net,ours were always too high up..
Old November 10th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, much to my surprise, he was at 3 of the feeders this morning. I guess he doesn't feed later on in the day and that's why I didn't see him all week. He must not be active after 4:00 when I get home. He's still looking very healthy. Amazing considering how cold and wet it's been. No easier to get close to to catch mind you. He's hanging out with a flock of sparrows. He's learned from them well. He takes off when they do if they're frightened, he's learned where to hide to avoid the hawks and the cats that hunt them and he's sleeping in the big evergreens with them at night. I saw him head up into a huge spruce with them this evening.

Cindy
Old November 10th, 2007, 08:21 PM

Any chance of finding a recording of budgies singing? Maybe setting up a recording and putting a mirror in a cage would bring him in?

He looks just like my Ami did... :sad:

Old November 11th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Senior Contributor

clm,a long time ago we had another Budgie here(it's happened a few times)I don't know if he might have been just weak,or very tame,but he was on the ground and we just scooped him up and brought him to HS.
2 summers ago we had one of those white parrots,I think they are Cockatiels(sp?)in out tree,the owners were here and tried desperatly to get him,but to no avail,he flew off:sad:
Sparrows can be very agressive,I've even seen a group of Sparrows attack a Mourning-Dove,but it sounds like your Budgie has found some friends..
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Senior Contributor

I forgot to mention I LOVE your birdie-pics,I too have a Nuthatcher,I've never seen one before,had to check my bird-book
The Hawks are back too,but "my"3 Crows are great sentinels(sp?)look after their little cousins.
It's strange,but I've learned their behaviours,know when they are panicking,the Crows especially,they always let me know when a threat is around.
Crazy bird-lady???
Old November 14th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Of Wing, Paw, & Hoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Any chance of finding a recording of budgies singing? Maybe setting up a recording and putting a mirror in a cage would bring him in?

He looks just like my Ami did... :sad:
I was also thinking if you could ask around to see if anyone had a budgie of their own... weather permitting set it's cage next to the one with the open door.
I had a female blue budgie for 12 years. She was my pet while growing up from pre-teen on. I loved her, she used to ride along in my shirt pocket, no joke. She died the day before she had surgery scheduled to remove her tumor... cancer of the preen gland. I haven't had a budgie since but I love to hear them. They have that chattery kind of talk.

Great pics btw!
Old November 14th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Senior Contributor

most free budgies are lost when the back of the truck is open for the transfer into pet shops, at least thats what I was told, when I caught the loose one two years ago, I just kept going out and talking to it when ever I'd see it, then I'd place a cracker between my fingers and say" well there's the pretty bird etc etc" I eventually got close enough to it to grab it, mind you, my fingers sure hurt for awhile *L* sharp beaks, she was so intent on the cracker that she didn't watch my other hand
Old November 18th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Senior Contributor

I never would have believed it, but the budgie is still coming down to the feeders and doing fine. It's been really cold here at night, especially this weekend. It was -5 when I took the puppies out this morning. As soon as it was light, he was down to the feeders with his flock of sparrows. He still commands prime spot at the feeders and drinks freely from the pond. This is one tough budgie. I don't get to see him during the week, but the weekends he's still here and hanging tough.

Cindy