Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 23rd, 2007, 08:27 PM

Doggie Pooping Woes

Hi, I have a 5 year old, female, Cocker Spaniel. My DH and I are at odds over letting her poop on walks.

Some time ago, DH was mainly the one taking her on walks and was discouraging her from pooping during walks. He thinks she should only go in our backyard.

She didn't take well to his training and started pooping as she was being led. His solution was to walk faster to prevent it. Then, when I started going along and holding her leash, he expected me to carry on with the same method. It doesn't work for me as I can't walk that fast (short legs).

I have now got her where I can at least get her to an acceptable location before she goes, rather than on the sidewalk. We live in a rural area, so I can find places and/or carry bags.

We can't seem to agree over what the proper way to train her is. He wants to completely prevent her from pooping on walks and I think it is instinctive behavior for her to do so and just needs to be done with proper etiquette.

Any advice. I am prepared to admit I am wrong, but I would rather be right.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 09:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Doggie Pooping

The physical movement of walking will promote elimination. Thats one of the reasons people walk their dogs, exercise and elimination. Take DH on a long walk after he's eaten and see if he can hold it until he gets home. I honestly have never heard of anyone as your DH so ill informed and controlling over their pet. .
Old October 23rd, 2007, 09:26 PM
Doggie Wench

I have to agree with your approach rather than your husband's. What is to happen if your dog is perfectly trained to eliminate in your yard only, and you decide to take her elsewhere for the day? What if you have her boarded? Take her on holidays with you? Training her to use your yard only will certainly create confusion for her. Tell Hubby that there's nothing unmanly about stooping over to pick up a little dog poop . People will rather view him as a responsible owner .
Old October 26th, 2007, 02:22 PM

Doggie pooping woes

What needs to be clarified is why your husband wants the dog to only poop in the yard. But since I don't have that info I'll go on. I used to watch a man who lived across the street from me walk his dog. He also would pull the dog along when it was peeing or pooping. Whatever reason he did this the up shot of his behavior was he looked like a bad dog owner. He looked like someone who did not care about his dogs needs. To watch him pull the dog as it was crouching to poop and then watch it continue to move forward in a crouch pooping as it was being pulled made the owner look cruel. Most dogs (after being trained not to poop or pee in the house) don't want to poop where they live if they get walked. A dog that never gets walked (which I disagree with anyway) but is let out into the yard to do its business has no alternative but to do it in the yard. But, if you walk him I'm pretty sure he will want to do it on a walk instead.

If your husband really insists that the dog only poop in the yard, then your husband will probably have to change his behavior rather than the dog. Instead, it might be better to walk the dog after he has just finished pooping in the yard. Then he won't have a need to poop on the walk.