Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old October 12th, 2007, 03:29 PM

Vet recommended Hill's vs. SolidGold dry cat food ???

Hi,

In addition to Jerms, the GSD, I also have a three year old cat named Monkey that I have been feeding ScienceDiet and Hill's tartar control for 2.5 years as this was the food that my Vet strongly urged me to feed him. I have started researching the pet foods several months ago and swtiched my cat to SolidGold dry food.
Yesterday we had an appintment with our vet, who upon hearing that we feed our cat SolidGold has right away dismissed it and claimed that
SolidGold is not a good food and that we should stop feeding him that and to go back to Hill's (same thning that he said about the SolidGold food we feed our dog).

I strongly feel that SolidGold is a good food based on the ingredients, however feel uncomfortable just plainly ignoring a Vet's advice -- aren't we supposed to listen to the Vet? who else can we turn to for advice on our pets if not the Vet?
Should we switch vets to a more knowledgable one or is this a common problem? What are your thought on Solid Gold for cats?
Old October 12th, 2007, 03:46 PM

Hi! Welcome to the forum! And to learning more than your vet about nutrition I had a similar experience a little while back....and felt really guilty initially. At the time, I had no concept of dog food nutrition. When I got my dog he was on a decent food actually, but it wasn't working out for his digestive system. My vet suggested switching foods...I had my other dog on Science Diet at the time. The vet was all for it - even suggesting that Science Diet was a better food. Well that didn't work for him either....and suddenly I kinda got the cold shoulder about dog food. That's when I started doing my own research. After a couple other brands, I put my dog on Solid Gold and the other dog on a different high quality kibble (and the cat on a higher quality dry food). When I brought it up to the vet, it was as if I had offended him personally. He seemed very put off by the concept of there being higher quality foods than others. Well my dog is doing excellent on Solid Gold and I've come to the conclusion after my experience and reading others' posts here that dog nutrition might just not be a vet's strong point. I think some are great with it....but most might not be. I still go to the same vet and think he is wonderful....but I just go with the understanding now that I have a better grasp of dog nutrition and I don't really look for advice in that area. And from what I've heard, many vets like Science Diet because the company kicks money into veterinary offices, research, etc.; but it has less to do with the actual nutrition of the food.

Last edited by mika140; October 12th, 2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old October 12th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Mika and Masha,we at the Forum have come to the conclusion,at least 75% of the vets out there know next to nothing about cat/dog nutrition and will push the brands they are selling.
If it's not for medical reasons,do your homework and choose the best food you can find.
Don't feel guilty,you are doing what is best for your animals
Old October 12th, 2007, 04:02 PM

Wow the replies here are quick!!

Thanks for the feedback!! Makes me feel better knowing that I am not the only one out there going against my Vet's advice
Old October 12th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Masha,I think most of us here do
Old October 12th, 2007, 04:33 PM
NOT a senior member

Masha, I think that you will get better nutritional information here than from your vet. I have an excellent vet that I trust 100%...that is for everything EXCEPT advice on what to feed my dogs. She also plugs Hills products that they sell at her practice, but she knows me enough now not to bother....lol. Now, she just tells me how great my dogs look, and to keep doing whatever I am doing. What I'm doing is NOT feeding the crap that is on the shelves there, because I know better and have learned to read labels. That is the best thing to learn regarding your pets health IMO.

It really is shocking how many people feed their pets garbage kibble, and whole heartedly think they are giving them the best. Researching label ingredients truly is the key to understanding what's in the food. This is a great website... www.dogfoodproject.com

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old October 12th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masha View Post
Hi,

In addition to Jerms, the GSD, I also have a three year old cat named Monkey that I have been feeding ScienceDiet and Hill's tartar control for 2.5 years as this was the food that my Vet strongly urged me to feed him. I have started researching the pet foods several months ago and swtiched my cat to SolidGold dry food.
Yesterday we had an appintment with our vet, who upon hearing that we feed our cat SolidGold has right away dismissed it and claimed that
SolidGold is not a good food and that we should stop feeding him that and to go back to Hill's (same thning that he said about the SolidGold food we feed our dog).

I strongly feel that SolidGold is a good food based on the ingredients, however feel uncomfortable just plainly ignoring a Vet's advice -- aren't we supposed to listen to the Vet? who else can we turn to for advice on our pets if not the Vet?
Should we switch vets to a more knowledgable one or is this a common problem? What are your thought on Solid Gold for cats?

Hi Masha, and welcome to Pets.ca!!

Ya, unfortunately most vets really are not well versed in animal nutrition, felines especially. Here is a link about it that you might find interesting: http://www.nowtoronto.com/issues/2007-05-31/news_story5. particularly this part:

Quote:
Who's sponsoring any of the studies on animal nutrition? "A lot of the research is funded by the industry. We have to be very grateful, really, to the industry, because there is no federal funding for dietary studies in pets. Unless [that funding comes with] strings attached." When pressed to confide which companies are applying such pressure, Hoenig stays mum.

It's a point that gets raised at the Cecil Street meet by host MPP Rosario Marchese. He tells NOW, "University of Guelph is the main veterinary college in Ontario, and it has no nutritionist teaching in the [core curriculum]. Companies like Hill's and Royal Canin/Medi-Cal provide the only nutritional information that veterinary students receive, including free products. That is a problem."

Indeed, Marchese is tabling a private member's bill this week that will require Ontario post-secondary schools to report annually on all private donations they receive and come clean on any agreements signed between them and the private sector to smoke out just such connections.

Marion Smart, clinical studies and nutrition prof at Saskatoon's Western College of Veterinary Medicine, has surveyed every accredited veterinary college on the continent and found a similar pattern almost everywhere. "The pet food industry has seen this void and filled it by sponsoring and supporting nutrition programs in colleges. If the educators aren't willing to take hold of it, in a way the pet food industry is doing a service and a disservice to veterinarians."
So no, I wouldn't necessarily switch vets due to their views on food, but I also wouldn't let them bully you into buying their products. Do your own research and come to your own conclusions, and if it comes up during another appointment, just firmly say that as your cat's primary caretaker, you've done your homework and their diet is not up for debate. Also, check out these sites for good info on feline nutrition (the first three are, coincidently, written by vets. Maybe your vet would even be open to learning a little, in which case the second article is a good 'scientific' one to show them):

http://www.catinfo.org/
http://www.catinfo.org/zorans_article.pdf
http://www.felinediabetes.com/hodgkinsarticle.htm
http://www.catnutrition.org/index.php
http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

If you want to read a fantastic book on cat care and diet, I highly recommend this one: Your Cat, Simple Secrets to a Stronger Longer Life. Just came out in June and is written by a vet, one who actually used to work for Hill's.

As for whether Solid Gold is a good cat food, if you check out the above websites, you'll probably realize that cats really shouldn't be eating any dry food, no matter who makes it or what the ingredients are. Definitely some brands of kibble are worse than others, but they all have the fatal flaw of being, well, DRY. Cats need to eat wet food so that they get enough water, otherwise they're chronically dehydrated (drinking from a bowl isn't enough to cover the deficit). The medical issues resulting from this constant dehydration are potentially very serious (kidney and bladder issues). Does that mean that every cat eating dry will suffer from these ailments? No, just like there are lots of people who have crappy diets and seem to live forever with hardly a sneeze, but for sure the possibility increases. Anyway, I've babbled on enough, take a look at those links and you'll get the whole scoop.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 12th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Papa D

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Mika and Masha,we at the Forum have come to the conclusion,at least 75% of the vets out there know next to nothing about cat/dog nutrition and will push the brands they are selling.
If it's not for medical reasons,do your homework and choose the best food you can find.
Don't feel guilty,you are doing what is best for your animals

Funny you say that chico2....i just got back from the vet (a new vet,and one that is really great)they give you a puppy pack that includes 1 free dose of advantage , a large squeeky bone and a puppy kong along with every type of info sheet about health care you can imagine....the food info says to feed premium dry food....medi-cal,science diet......and they have a kitty pack too
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old October 13th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Dawson,I never got a kittenpack from my vets:sad:
Rereading my own posts,it seems like I am speaking for everyone here,I am not,just wanted to say that before someone gets excited
Hope little Maggie checked out with flying colours!
Old October 13th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Swift Tribe

i also recently found this (posted by another member SUPER HUGE THANKS TO YOU!!) to be VERY informative.

http://www.catinfo.org/zorans_article.pdf

if you can give your cat to eat raw meaty chicken bones NOT COOKED!! along with a bit of chicken meat (to balance the phos and cal) that will help out hugely with the tartar. also getting grain products out of their food. Cats are obligate carnivores. as in NOTHING but meat. personally... i dont feed horses salmon... why would i feed my kitty grass?

-ashley
Old October 13th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Senior Contributor

I've tried giving my cats little morsels of raw meat,it's hilarious,they look at me like they were saying"You expect us to eat that,yuck,NO WAY"
Old October 13th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Wellness food is GREAT.

That is what I feed my cat. No animal by-products, soy, wheat, corn or corn gluten, artificial preservatives, colours or flavours.

I would go check out their website. http://www.omhpet.com/wellness/

They are expensive, but well worth it. For a 5 pound bag here in Ontario, it costs about $20 a bag. It lasts for a month and a bit.

ACO22
Old October 13th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Honestly, nutrition advice from a vet is alot like taking investment advice from a mechanic... sure they may have some experience but in the end, they arent the ones to turn to.

Honestly feeding Solid gold is great. If you cats are doing well on it, dont switch them.
The nutrition they get from a high quality food like that is worth dental cleanings.

You should ask your vet why Solid gold is so bad and what Hills has to offer that SG doesnt... they usually dont have an answer, especially if you ask about the grain content.

Keep feeding what you please and dont worry, Chico is right alot of us go against our vets wishes when it comes to nutrition.