Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old October 5th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Retriever Fever

Angry Rant: My neighbour's dumped cat

Well, I don't know if anyone remembers my previous rantings about my dumb neighbour and her inability to take care of animals responsibly. She is the one who keeps getting pets (mostly dogs but did have 1 cat) and then dumps them when she gets tired of them or she feels they're too much work, or whatever other dumb excuse it is. She has recently moved out of my neighbourhood, but the cat she dumped over a year ago (just let her go stray and didn't feed her or let her in) has been seen wandering the streets again. I thought for sure she hadn't survived the winter! I have no idea if anyone is feeding her, but she looks skinny and matted.

I try to put food out for her but she is so frightened she doesn't dare come near. (Hopefully Toby's presence or smell isn't keeping her away). I'll keep trying but in the end I won't be able to take her in since my husband has big time allergies to cats. I'm just wondering what to do IF (and its a big if) she comes around and starts to trust enough for me to take her somewhere. Do I track down the dumb neighbour and make her face her responsibility or is it pointless and I should just bring her to a rescue if I can ever 'catch' her???
thoughts??

It makes me mad that someone could dump a cat this way, but even madder that I know who the culprit is!!!!
Old October 5th, 2007, 01:39 AM
~Cat Servent~

I hear ya! I would skip trying to find her as it is probably futile and a bad idea for the poor kitty. If you can get her to come around and eat, trapping her and getting her in with a rescue is probably best, at least then she might be adopted by someone who actually wants her.

Owners like that are really just complete jackholes!!! But then without them, I wouldn't have 3 out of my 6 beautiful babies...:sad:.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 5th, 2007, 02:21 AM

I too would skip the tracking of the previous owner sorry I have no help for catching him, though Ford Girl is having success here:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=44899

this kitty will come to you & you can find a good solution for her situation

In my mum's neighbourhood one of her neighbours moved & left behind 1 cat who he couldn't catch on moving day, left 1 dog with another neighbour (who eventually couldn't keep the dog cuz it was play biting the toddler too often & not learning "no bite" [good dog but no manners] - owner p/u the dog but never looked for the cat :sad. He took with him the other dog (his girlfriends) & the other 2 cats, then came back to p/u his dog. The cat left behind is super skittish around people/animals although the lady @ the end of the block (next to former home) allows him in her kitchen & feeds him some, he sneaks in eats & bolts. I have tried numerous times to get him to come to me (with food) but he bolts as soon as you get w/in 8 feet :sad: From what I can see when I get close enough he looks pretty good, not too skinny & he has a few carports for shelter. I just wish he would come to me :sad: No shelter calling on this guy I think he's too feral at this point (5 years on his own) they would euthanize him as unadoptable :sad:

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old October 5th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Retriever Fever

Thanks guys. Yeah, I have been reading about FordGirl's AllyKat, hoping that this one will come around in the same way. She didn't bother with the food I set out last night (yummy chicken and salmon and fresh water), so maybe she's not that hungry??

I hope she is getting food and some kind of shelter somewhere!! Poor kitty. :sad:
Old October 5th, 2007, 11:48 AM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Doesn't it p*ss you right off that people treat animals this way??? I can't stand it! It makes me so mad and sad at the same time. Idiots like this make us wish we could do more for these animals that aren't even ours...when the owners are doing nothing! Drives me insane!

I agree not to bother asking the neighbour to deal with it...but you know what would be fun (for the lack of a better word), take a picture of her poor hungry cat all skinny and matted, and mail it to her with a tear jerker poem about "it's just a cat" or something like that. I dont think she would take resposibility for it if given a second chance, but if she felt any guilt or sadness at all, it would be worth it to me, too little too late I know, out of sight out of mind, but if I knew where she was, I would do that.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old October 5th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Sadly some people see animals as disposable things. They can just dump them when the novelty has run its course or when they don't feel the need to be bothered with them anymore.

They don't realize these are living beings, that have feelings!

They should be dumped with no food or shelter, see how they like it
Old October 5th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Retriever Fever

Yeah, FordGirl - I just want to throttle this person! I doubt she would care if she got a photo of her poor cat (even if the cat would stick around long enough for me to take a picture!). She'd probably dump that in the trash too. It just puzzles me why this woman would want to get a pet in the first place given the previous history of her pet experiences!!

Can you believe this woman has procreated!!!! Imagine what she is teaching her children...:sad: I hope to raise my son as a defender of these poor creatures (part of the reason we plan to call him Noah ).
Old October 5th, 2007, 09:10 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Girl View Post
Idiots like this make us wish we could do more for these animals that aren't even ours...when the owners are doing nothing!
Yep , we're the ones who end up feeling sad and heartbroken over THEIR pets

I hope it works out for the kitty cat.