Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old September 28th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Zoo operator

changing habits

HI all, most of you already know I took in a stray kitty from a pack of ferel cats off a trail... hes adjusting fast but I noticed right away his wild habits..like wildly attackign and scratching furnature, climbing into the garbage can and scrounging around on the floor for scraps. He would prefer to eat a chip or lick off a can of pop then to eat the readily available cat food and fresh water. I take himto the wet food and dry food . I have a feelign it is going to be hard to get him to adjust his eating habits. any particular brand/kind of food suggested for helping garbage cats change over to a healthy diet?
Old September 28th, 2007, 11:56 AM

maybe mixing a little bit of canned food with the regular kibble would help
Old September 28th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I've noticed that habit in one particular cat, it's kind of heartbreaking, considering some of the crap they eat out there. It will pass in time, his body is out of whack in so many ways. Make his food as attractive as possible.
Bird sits in front of his bowl as if it's not for him, I almost have to hold it up near his nose to get his attention. It's almost as if no-one ever offered him anything in his life. He is the first rescue (of about 30) who I think was seriously abused (as opposed to , 'just' abandoned or left for lost).
None of these situations are permanent.
Lock up your garbage and discourage counter surfing.
Old September 29th, 2007, 11:45 AM

We too have been adopted by a feral cat. It has been over 3 months now. She was on the bird diet when she arrived. We set up several feeding stations all over the house for her and did not allow her outside by herself to hunt. We initially gave her plain meat, cooked chicken and beef chopped up then started mixing it with cat food. She once took a bag of dinner buns from the counter and ate them all. Sneaky. She would also grab food from our plates at mealtimes. We never saw it coming. Things will improve. So many adjustments for them to make. My husband built her a big square (stable) box and covered it with the remnants of our carpeting. She has left the furniture alone since. This is an amazing place to come for help and information. Best of luck to you both and patience for you. We can not imagine our life without Maggie. Laurie
Old September 29th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Zoo operator

HI Badger!, Hi Maggieandme
Thank you for your responses. I have been extra cautious about taking garbage out before its full and when "tempting" items might be in there...and have been offering him food often. It is sad indeed what he might have resorted to eating. He attacked my daughters cheerios lastnight and no..we didnt see it coming!!
The kids have started up a "cat fund" and are workign hard around here to earn money to keep the cat...all looks good.
Old September 29th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Zoo operator

Isolde
sounds like an option, will try it, THanks!