Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old May 23rd, 2004, 10:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Question Missing

Missing Woody and Amaruq
Amaruq,what happened with Robin Williams,maybe he swept you off to the blue yonder
Woody,miss your morning pick-me-uppers
Old May 23rd, 2004, 04:37 PM
Senior Contributor

maybe amaruq fell in love (hmmmm with robin w doubt it) so maybe the show producers fell so in love with her and her doggies that they swept her of her feet and into a famous doggy career traveling the world making movies, hey they might make one centered around the lives of people on the board, hmmmm? ok so not likely, but it may have happened? where are they
Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:09 PM

Woody's out riding his tractor. That is fully running and operational.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:25 PM
Senior Contributor

and one of many, remember a good man gotta have at least 3 running, oh dear i dont think i married a very good farmer (great mechanic though)
Old May 23rd, 2004, 06:34 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

I miss Chaney also. (sp?)

For all the MIA's, *pouting, sniff*

Wishing for a rapid return...we so need your knowledge and input.

"Must" may be a better word...
Old May 23rd, 2004, 06:39 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Hey you know Amaruq's off flirting with Robin Williams, or she's become his personal assistant (wink wink)

As for Woody, I think the buggers still trying to figure out how to upload pictures....meantime as Bill says he's using the fully functional tractor to collect all those 'droppings' LOL
Old May 23rd, 2004, 08:44 PM

Aaaaaw Karin tanks!! I'm still around but I had to take advantage of some of the warm weather we were having..Hopefully it will still be nice tomorrow as well. Whats been happening?
I didn't think I was MIA but then you've gone MIA once in a while yourself missy.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 09:12 PM

Woody Rides Again

and I'm riding one of three fully restored and highly functional tractors too.
and I'm not a bad mechanic either.
I dropped out for a week or so to get a new system on line and take care of some things here in rainy-MUDDY Michigan. All Hail broke loose around here as the ice pellets fell.
This is going to be a bad year for farmers if this rain doesn't stop.
I have two friends who farm near me. One farms 4500 acres and the other farms 8,000 acres. If they don't get the crops in by end of May there will be some big loses.
I spent the day bull dozing mud and pulling iron fence posts out of a pond. Just an average day in the life of a Weekend "WOODY" Michigan guy.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 09:14 PM

Woodbyter did you go through mid life and decided you needed a change?
Old May 23rd, 2004, 10:07 PM

Mid life crisis ? not !!

I am so far past the time for a mid life crisis I can't even remember when I should have had one....

Actually I logged off not realizing loggin off equated to quiting the board. So I just took a few days off to help some of the folks around here and then came back and signed back on as WOODY.

I'm way past mid life and too busy for a crisis, plus my wife tells me if anyone would have a mid life crisis it would not be me. She is seldom wrong.
Woody
Old May 24th, 2004, 07:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh good,you're still around
Mid-Life crisies what's that???Somehow that passed me by!! I was a BD-party in Port Coloborne yesterday,beautiful property but the whole grassy woodsy area was like a swamp from all the rain,talk about "skiters"
It was a paradize for bird-people,I was amazed,but even completly covered I have skiter-bites galore
Anyway Woody,maybe we'll see some pics soon
Old May 24th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Senior Contributor

poor farmers, always copping the worst of it. everyone cross your fingers and eyes and send that rain down here, gosh it is dry. animals dying all over from drought and the poor farmers, well at least the government gives them some money for food for their families. but funny that, not one extreme it is another, your crops get destroyed by drenching, ours just dry to dust. but i did think this morning, that if we all die in the drought, at least we all died on a sunny day, it is funny how beautiful the days are but that beauty is so destructive as well, and yet 2 years ago i was waist high in a raging flood, ah the beauty of our planet. as human we can control most things but nature still rules us no matter how hard we fight it.
hope not too much financial damage other than the loss of your fences woody, and your wife sounds like a very intuitive and smart lady (whos got you all figured out buster )
Old May 25th, 2004, 02:08 AM

The Mrs.

[QUOTE=melanie]woody, and your wife sounds like a very intuitive and smart lady (whos got you all figured out buster

right on all counts.
I never stood a chance.
Woody
Old May 25th, 2004, 01:09 PM

BC is prepping for another fiery summer. I'm sure everyone saw the pics from last years burns. I was back east when they were still going on and was surprised that it made it to the east coast front pages. Almost entire towns being burnt to the ground. Last year was the driest we've had in many years. Not good for the forest animals either. Lots of bears and deer that were shot because they got seriously burnt trying to flee the fires. This year looks just as bad. One of the fires is started already, and they are guessing that it never actually went out over the winter. Just went underground smoldering until the surface dried out enough to burn again.
Old May 25th, 2004, 04:47 PM

Fire problems here in the south also..a news flash just came on TV, the Daytona area has 3 fires going now as I type, roads are closed and evacuations have been issued for some areas. News choppers are on the way.
Okay....fires are now out! WHEW! *wipes brow*
This scared me so bad...my sister lives in the affected area and I could not reach her. (She is recovering from surgery)
In 1998 the fires were so bad all over the state. The Pepsi 400 was canceled due to the smoke...in the Ocala area (where I live) we opened up stables and took in hundreds of evacuated horses from all over...sadly, some horses did not make it out in time..mainly from the Orlando fires.
This fire season is just starting and has disaster written all over it...
93 degrees in the shade...not a cloud in sight, or rain for that matter.
I hate to go to bed at night with the sky glowing orange.
Please wish us rain....no lightning, just rain..
Old May 25th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Senior Contributor

karin im confused (nothing new) are the fires on now?? if theyu are we are thinking of you, fires suck. dont worry too much for your sister (hard i know) surely emergency services can get to her or did! funny how similar our natural hazards are, the globe is so big but we tend to have similar climatic experiences, just goes to show not such a big place after all. i saw those awful fires you guys had, boy the design of suburbs and housing development over there looks nearly as bad as ours, this is a big reason many houses burn fast and endanger lives (of course not in country, reasons different). as we saw here in oz in the Canberra fires, poor street design (known globally as the radburn design, oh bad choice) contributes alot to the damage and speed of a fire, and our suburbs were designed on a round culdersac design so emergency service has big trouble getting in, another huge factor. i think better desing of suburbs will eventually lead to less fire intensity and damage to housing areas, in turn saving lives and resources.
those underground fires are the most dangerous next to spot fires. simply because you may not know it is burning or able to predict its course. last summer after underground fires we had to go down to the creek and poke holes in the ground with large poles, the smoke would come pouring out of the holes and the temp is like a hot oven fire is soo scary yet errily beautiful, i saw a hill on fire in the night and the color contrast was just fantastic, absolutly surpurb color choices by nature, so vicious but just so pretty.
now lets all cross fingers and eyes and pray for a big drenching here and over there.
Old May 25th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh Karin,that is just terrible,I could not imagine anything scarier,maybe floods,but fires are horrific,such total destruction and soo many animals lost.
We see it on the news every summer and to think there are idiots who would even start a fire,it's not always lightning right?
We'll keep our fingers and toes crossed,that there will be no fires this year,I remember the BC fires last year,scary!!!
Old May 25th, 2004, 07:59 PM

The fires are not out but under control, arson of course.

This will be a busy season..most fires in Florida are either by lightning, (no cloud in sight) Or bored kids out of school with no supervision. Schools have just let out so here we go.....

I live 1/4 mile west of I-75, in between Ocala & Gainesville, Florida. Two years ago Orange lake, 1/4 mile East of I-75 was on fire for 3 weeks...the lake had drained into the aquafer and left nothing but muck...basically peat or fire fuel. The smoke and ash was horrible, I left and stayed with friends 20 miles away. 1998 was the worse year by far...from the Everglades to the Georgia border.
This will be a repeat I'm sure...
No word yet from my sister..my mother said she will call if she hears anything.
Old May 26th, 2004, 12:56 PM

Last year, they convicted some moron for starting two fires that had to have major resources allocated to. Idiot was a forest firefighter who got into a big arguement with one of her bosses or something and wanted to give out some payback.

Another fire that pretty much burnt an entire village to the ground was started by a guy who was installing a satellite dish on his roof. Flicked a cigarette butt off the roof and away the grass went. Before he could stop anything it had gotten out of control. All the warning people had was this fool running down the street yelling about what he'd done. Guess what he did in his spare time.....volunteer firefighter. Was pretty much run out of town with death threats from neighbours.

Here in Vancouver they banned smoking in all parks, and laid out plans for severe fines if you were caught flicking a cigarette butt out your car window. They actually found that was starting all sorts of fires through the mountains on the highways.

Interesting thing is that when I was working in the prison system, they trained the inmates in forest fire suppresion and put them to work (with minor pay) putting out fires. Great idea. Showed the guys that they could contribute something, earn money, and gave them some marketable skills too.
Old May 26th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Senior Contributor

australian fire fighters are my heros, they are amazing people who sacrifice so much for us, but in oz we have found that firestarters often join volunteer fire fighting brigades and cause lots of fires. so now they are introducing psychological testing for this type of thing, really sucks as people endanger their lives for these freaks to get off. good idea bill, in oz we have a welfare system where on can get the dole, a fortnightly payment from welfare. most people are hard working but there are those out there who take advantage of these systems. i think all people on the dole should have to do volunteer training and join a brigade. currently our firefighters are loosing their jobs ect because employers will not be flexible with fires. here you never put these skills on a resume as you wont get the job, everyone loves a hero but no one wants to let them off work to fight the fires, it is a huge problem. so dole people should be trained to do it, and give them skills, a reason to get up in the morning, and instill some work effort and respect for the environment. i have a mate who has not had christmas with his family for years as he is off fighting every christmas, this man is hard working and i think if we had more fire fighters people like him will have it a little easier.
a friends son was caught lighting fires in the bush the other week, his dad kicked his butt all the way home but it really scared us all, he is a nice boy, normal, grew up in bush so he should know better, and has a nice family life, why would he do it? we have a feeling it was a bit of peer pressure from another boy doing it but we are all totally shocked, his father cannot bring himself to speak to him he is so ashamed, but his punishment has been very sever and we told him we would take him to the cops if he ever does such a thing again and he is really sorry and we doubt he will be that thick again but wow, it really blew me out of the water. it is just amazing how these people start bad behaviour, and a normal kid too, sheesh. lets just say everyone has hassled this kid and all friends have expressed disgust to him, so we are hoping he will not do this again.