Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old September 17th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Swift Tribe

Meat Allergies

so far we KNOW the Boys are allergic to turkey, beef, pork, corning game hen and we arent sure about lamb. i gave them a can of canned lamb cat food that might have been that it was canned food and not raw. i have a lamb leg in the fridge so i will try the raw version probably tomorrow.

they are NOt allergic to fish, oyster, clam, or chicken.

is there a way to introduce meat that will give us a less likely chance of an allergic reaction (ie all they are doing is vomiting it up... no hives or anythign like that) or should we just assume everythign else but the listed non allergic meats will create an allergy?

why are they allergic to so many different meats? did we do somethign wrong? is this an allergy at all? there is no skin reaction, no loose stool or anything, it just doesnt stay down.

ANY thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old September 18th, 2007, 11:01 AM

That is odd they would be allergic to so many different meats... I am not sure what food allergy symptoms are, but could be something else. Are they perhaps eating too much at one time? Or maybe they are having a hard time digesting the food, could you try supplementing something to help? Sorry, I'm no expert in this area, i'm sure you'll get more useful replies, just throwing out ideas. Maybe they exercising/playing too soon after they eat?
Old September 18th, 2007, 11:49 AM
-

We're talking about Mighty and Shadow here right?

As suggested, it may not be an allergy it may just not be easily digested being too fatty or too rich for them. Or if the first time they experienced say beef for example, they also just happened to be feeling nauseous or unwell that day, they may always associate the taste of beef with the feelings of nausea and illness. Or it's so delicious to them, they are wolfing it down and because it's been hoovered so quickly their tummies revolt and bring it back up. Another possibility of course is that the meat served that day was "off".
Old September 18th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Swift Tribe

you think a touch of yogurt would help before eating the 'new' stuff??

yeah its the two fat boys, the girls eat *anything* i put in front of them but if it has even the slightest hint of anythign not fishy or chicken they ralf it up.

im going to pick up some turkey and start slipping parts into their chicken. hopefully the meats are close enough i can get away with it. it would be really really nice if i could feed them OTHER things.

any suggestions for less rich meats??

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old September 18th, 2007, 12:26 PM
-

No, the yoghurt is more of a long term restoration to good gut flora project. It doesn't usually have an immediate effect on digestion. Have you tried digestive enzymes with them?

Rabbit's not terribly rich and if you find a "bunny farm" you could probably get them fairly inexpensively (you might have to do your own butchering).
Old September 18th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Swift Tribe

i could only find what looks like SHOW rabbits.... im not sure if i want to call and ask for EATING rabbits.... might be a little offended by that!

butchering our own rabbits would be good actually, the whole animal versus just the meat and bones.

i have a friend who is going to give me all of the 'unusable' parts of a deer. ill be sure to make a post about it if i ever get my hands on it.

-ashley
Old September 18th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Some pet food stores actually have freezer sections with frozen whole rabbits too. You could try raising your own if you're not squeamish about that kind of thing....for those of you who have or love bunnies, I'm sorry, but I like to eat rabbits and I used to help with the fall slaughter of pigs and cows and deer every fall on the farm after watching them being born as beautiful little piglets and calves in the spring. Not a pleasant task, but I still love beef, pork and venison You could look up and see if there are any rabbit producers around where you are as well. It's not a rich meat, but it's not one of the most nutritious either.

Cindy
Old September 18th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Swift Tribe

i dont think i could slaughter one i didnt raise. ive thought hard abotu chickens and whether we would keep them or not... i decided i couldnt take the life of one unless i knew i had given it a good home first. kind of a way to justify doing it myself?? im not sure exactly.

-ashley