Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 4th, 2007, 05:23 PM

10 month old dachshund losing hair

I bought a mini dachshund, chocolate color, she's not a long hair but not totally smooth either. I noticed yesterday that her fur was getting thin on her outer thighs and around her head and neck. I checked her out for mites, fleas etc.. nothing, but bathed her anyway. After the bath she looks horrible, so much hair is gone... her skin is smooth, not crusty or bumpy, she's healthy, happy, eating, no temp..anybody know what's going on here!
Old September 4th, 2007, 05:35 PM
-

A Vet check is certainly in order. It could be any number of things (which a blood panel and chem screen will help to rule out or will identify) but you might want to talk to your Vet about Alopecia.

Here is a little info on it: http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=421
Old September 4th, 2007, 06:07 PM

Hair loss!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
A Vet check is certainly in order. It could be any number of things (which a blood panel and chem screen will help to rule out or will identify) but you might want to talk to your Vet about Alopecia.

Here is a little info on it: http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=421

I read all the symptoms and issues on that site, thanks for posting it. Alopecia, I did not think of that.. didn't think animals were affected by it.
From what I read, it sure looks like alopecia..hmmm!

She's not scratching or biting, I would have noticed that and figured fleas.. or ?.. but her "skin" which I can see quite a lot of, is clear and smooth, no hot spots or irritation.

I didn't know what to do. I noticed it this morning, but after her bath, as I said, the amount of hair that washed away was scary..

Thanks again .. taking her to the vet tomorrow..
Old September 4th, 2007, 06:16 PM
-

Please let us know how you make out at the Vets. I'm glad your sweet pup isn't suffering with it whatever it is.

And welcome to pets.ca btw !
Old September 4th, 2007, 06:26 PM
-

Sorry to hear about your little girl and glad you're taking her to the vet. Good luck and keep us posted.

Also, have you told the breeder about this?
Old September 4th, 2007, 07:55 PM

Good Point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Sorry to hear about your little girl and glad you're taking her to the vet. Good luck and keep us posted.

Also, have you told the breeder about this?
No, haven't told breeder yet, I imported this dog. I'll send an email to let her know but will wait to see what the vet says.

I should have noticed it sooner, but I wear glasses too see up close, and her coat has never been thick, it's very shiny but when she moves you can usually see a little of her skin. But I was looking at her and noticed two bald (tiny) spots above her ears, ... I thought she might have gotten caught up on something, but on closer examination (glasses on) I noticed her legs, temples, under her chin, all spotty type balding.. (then the bath) yikes..

will let you all know.. thanks again.
Old September 4th, 2007, 08:09 PM
-

Just a suggestion ~ you might want to keep a photo-journal of her hair loss (and hopefully it's regrowth !) so that you can track her progress reliably.
Old September 5th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Senior Contributor

I would definitely see the vet. My short-haired Dachshunds' coats did change a bit as they matured, but they definitely did not suffer any hair loss, other than the normal shedding that occurs with all dogs, short or long-haired.
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:52 AM

Saw the vet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDancer View Post
I would definitely see the vet. My short-haired Dachshunds' coats did change a bit as they matured, but they definitely did not suffer any hair loss, other than the normal shedding that occurs with all dogs, short or long-haired.

Vet says it's likely alopesia, although he's taking tests as she has a very dark coat, BUT, skin colored lips and around the eyes; nose is not too red though, fairly dark..

But she has Isabella's in her pedigree.. I had no clue about this dilute color issue.

In the absence of skin problems, fleas, ticks, cuts, scrapes.. my vet says he can only check for a few things which include alopesia.

Gee! Bald dachshund..I read up about "sun screen" cold weather precautions.. I'll just call her a rare breed of hairless mini dachsie..lol

Good part is she's healthy in every other way,and very happy as she doesn't know she's going bald..

Thanks for helping..
Old September 6th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh my! But better a bald Dachshund than one with back/neck disc disease - trust me on this. My guys wore sunscreen on their noses and tummies - all but one were auburn - the last guy being a Dapple - toffee and cream with a BIG pinky brown nose and hazel eyes - lots of suncreen their. They had coats of course - the best fitting I found were by Canine Equipment - fitted the deep chests really well. Actually our Eskimo has a Canine Equipment raincoat - modelled of course by a Dachshund - it is called the Cosmopolitan -it is also on the Canine Equipment website - you just have to jump back and forth over the links - Canine Equipment, Canine Friendly, RC Pets. You probably know the line as it is made in BC. The Canine Friendly bib harnesses are great - quite a few Dachshund owners have asked where I got mine - and mine is on an Eskimo. Hope that it turns out your pup is just blowing the summer coat, but somehow I doubt it. And watch those stairs with your pup, please! I don't want to have to give you advice on what to do should your pup's back go.
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:29 PM
-

You might also want to have a look at http://www.k9topcoat.com/ as they have full all-weather body suits. Not sure about Doxie-sized though!

And you never know, she might make a SPECTACULAR looking bald Doxie!!