Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 30th, 2007, 11:33 PM

Those of you with old timers..

Blaze is my first really old dog (12-1/2 years old) and as time passes I see the effects the arthritis is having on her. She seems healthy in every other way; drinks well, good appetite, good stool and most importantly, to me anyways, is that she still has that glimmer in her eye when I come home and she trots to the door to greet me, when I mention the word WALK and grab her leash.

She's on a good food, Chicken Soup Senior + glucosamine and chondroitin.

Is there anything a vet could do for her (meds/supplements?) to help her stiffness? It makes me so sad when I see her so excited to go for walks or to the park and she wants to keep up with Autumn but she knows her limits.
Old August 30th, 2007, 11:39 PM
-

I'm a little confused...the Chicken Soup has Gluco + Chondroitin in it or are you giving her a supplement ?
Old August 30th, 2007, 11:43 PM

Sorry, just stating that the food has glucosamine and chondroitin in it already in case people reading weren't familiar with that food.
Old August 30th, 2007, 11:50 PM
-

Thanks ~ that's better ! The amount of gluco & chondroitin is likelt to be very small and I doubt any of it survived during processing. Many of us have had great success with supplements like Glucosamine+Chondroitin+MSM and Cosequin. Others have found their animals do well on natural supplements like shark's cartilage and Sasha's Blend. If your dog finds no relief with supplements you could always speak with your Vet about using an NSAID.
Old August 30th, 2007, 11:56 PM

You could also look into physical therapy, Laser therapy, massages, & swimming. Cally was a Dal x Lab with arthritis in his hips & spine, he was on glucosamine, physical therapy to strenghthen muscles, Laser therapy for help @ the cellular level, home massages & Cartophen Vet injections - they worked wonders for him for the time he had left. Talk to your vet about trying some of these & some people have also found acupuncture helps too.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old August 31st, 2007, 08:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes, you can do more for her but her condition needs to be assessed by your Vet before deciding on a protocol.

Rimadyl or Cartrohpen Vet are extra things your Vet can do. I have my Lab girl on Cartrophen Vet injections and I have to say the results are amazing but differ for every dog. At mine's very old age of 14.5 she now gets a booster once a month but at first it was only every six months.

I also supplement with Glu/Chon but again, after checking with the Vet as to appropriate dosage. My girl gets a 900 mg G/C at brekkie and at supper. I buy whatever is on sale at a local pharmacy. The Vet version is WAY more expensive. My Vet agrees this is OK.

The thing with G/C and cartrophen is that they may actually help to repair small damage and help to prevent further degradation of the joints. It is good to start them early.

Something that also worked for us was to actually increase my girl's exercise. We were used to doing the weekend warrior thing with long, long hikes and cross country skiis. After reading how aging baby boomer humans were finding that hard on their joints I wondered if the same applied to my girl. So, we began to do one longer outing midweek and kept up our regular schedule otherwise. It worked so well I took her off the cartrophen and she did not go back on it for five years (age 8 to 13).

Last edited by Longblades; August 31st, 2007 at 10:35 AM.
Old September 4th, 2007, 02:12 AM

My 15 year old Maltese does very well on "Dog Gone Pain".

http://www.doggonepain.com/