Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 30th, 2007, 01:55 PM

Cat getting skinny

I have an 8 year old male cat. He used to be a hearty, robust cat with a really muscular body. About six months ago he starting losing weight, and has now gotten really skinny. His appetite hasn't changed, his energy levels have decreased, but not a huge amount. He still hunts, plays, and takes an active interest in his food. We feed him some canned food in the mornings, and all the dry food he wants throughout the day. He also seems to be shedding a bit more than usual, but not any more than typical warm summer weather shedding. I checked him out and he doesn't seem to be in any kind of pain, externally or internally.

Of course we don't have much money to spend on vet bills. He seems content and happy. I worry that if I take him to the vet, they'll want to run tests that will go into the hundreds of dollars, just to tell me he has terminal cancer and we can't fix it anyway. We can't afford that. But I get this nagging doubt maybe he just has worms. We have four cats, so getting a stool sample that I can guarantee is his is almost impossible. I gave him roundworm de-wormer just in case, that seemed to have no effect.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Old August 30th, 2007, 02:05 PM

Can you check w/your vet regarding payment plans? Most are quite willing especially since you have 4 cats they know you & know you will pay. If that were my cat he would be in for blood & urine & fecal tests. They can take a fecal sample in clinic. 8 years is a good time to start checking the geriatric blood panel - to catch anything early. The weight loss could be a number of different things, worms included but many other things too. Cats are also very very good @ hiding pain/sickness.

Good luck, I hope it's nothing serious, keep us posted.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old August 30th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Senior Contributor

I think a blood panel is a must, even before urinalysis and fecal. Rapid weight loss is a red flag. I really doubt that it's parasites, but you could keep him inside until he 'goes' and take a fecal sample along. Call around in your area and ask how much a blood panel costs, maybe a clinic attached to a local shelter, there is bound to be some variation. There is no reason why you can't specify that you only want a blood panel for now, even though you are open to other suggestions, particularly if the blood shows nothing. The vet will also 'feel him up' thoroughly, there are things they can find out just from the exam.
I wouldn't wait.
Old August 30th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with growler and badger that your kitty really needs to see a vet. The thing is, whatever might be going on with him, the earlier you find out what it is, the better. Most of the more common issues are readily diagnosed with blood work and a urinalysis, which shouldn't break the bank. Would be less expensive for you in the long run, rather than waiting until your cat's health is dire. And anytime a cat is losing weight for no apparent reason, it's cause for concern.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 30th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Please go and see a vet. My cat went through the same thing and it was her thyroid. Rapid weight loss always means a medical problem.
Old August 30th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor

My Rocky too(soon 11yrs),went from a large 16lb cat to skinny 12lb's,bloodtest showed Hyperthyroidism.
The initial test does not cost hundreds of dollars,neither does the meds your cat might need,so please take him to a vet.
I am not saying this is what's wrong with your cat,I am no vet,weightloss could mean a number of things,but that's what was wrong with my boy.
Old August 30th, 2007, 06:06 PM

Well i was going to say the same as the last few posts. I would try and have at least a T4 tested to see is the little one has a thyroid issue. Is the kitty drinking more water, eatting more or anything because that is a sign. Amber
Old August 30th, 2007, 06:28 PM
~Cat Servent~

My cat also had this a few years back, she had a tape worm. It was fixed with one vet visit and a $6 pill. Please take him in, the vet will also probably suggest deworming first, unless there are other troublesome symptoms. SO it may not cost you much, and may save him a lot of discomfort.
that kitty gets better soon.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old September 4th, 2007, 06:10 AM

Is your kitty drinking more than usual? Peeing more than usual? Those are possible signs of diabetes. My cat was just diagnosed and he pretty much acted the same except that he was losing weight and then he started to drink alot and pee alot, but other than that did not act sick. Then over a week period he did start to act ill and I took him in and he had diabetes and was extremely dehydrated. The vet bill was not bad at all and because I home test him that saves me even more money. And there are vets out there who will take payment plans but the one I went to keeps their costs very low and they sell me the insulin for my cat at cost, which is only 8 bucks a bottler compared to 35 bucks anywhere else.
Old September 4th, 2007, 02:02 PM
-

Nothing to add here as I agree with all the posters. Do you have an update for us? Did you find a way to take him to the vet?
Old September 5th, 2007, 09:54 PM

The weight loss could be an indicator of so many different things: thyroid, diabetes, kidney failure, etc., but you need to check it out. By the time you start noticing the weight loss, whatever is causing it could be well under way - but could hopefully be treated with something as simple as a change in diet. Good luck... keep us posted.