Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 28th, 2007, 10:11 PM

Green dog stool

Very recently I switched my dog's food to Solid Gold Barking at the Moon. Previous to that he had consistenly loose stool on other foods, and his stool was brown. His stool has improved greatly in a very short time (it's now solid). However, it is a dark green color. I saw the same thing with color when I had him on Pro Plan Performance a while back, but it was even greener. Any ideas as to why it is green? Anything I should be concerned about? Both foods are higher protein than the others we tried.
Old August 28th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Live well, laugh often

Different protein sources will cause changes in poop colour and aren't really anything to worry about. I would also suspect a lot of grass munching might have something to do with the colour.
Old August 29th, 2007, 09:21 AM

Thnx for the info. As long as its not indicative of a larger internal problem, then the color is fine with me. He doesn't eat much grass, and I'm working to keep him from eating any, as he seems to have loose stool / diarrhea after just a blade or two of it. Guess I'll do a different thread on that sometime. Thnx though.
Old August 29th, 2007, 12:28 PM
-

You wouldn't also be giving him (coloured) treats like MilkBones would you ?
Old August 29th, 2007, 12:51 PM
-

I have heard that a high iron content in water can cause poop to look green. Maybe it's the iron proteinate in Barking at the Moon?

Ingredients
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Salmon Meal | Beef | Potatoes | Potato Protein | Canola Oil | Tomato Pomace | Natural Flavor | Salmon Oil | Choline Chloride | Taurine | Dried Chicory Root | Parsley Flakes | Pumpkin Meal | Almond Oil | Sesame Oil | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Thyme | Blueberries | Cranberries | Carrots | Broccoli | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Ferrous Sulfate | Zinc Sulfate | Copper Sulfate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Manganese Proteinate | Manganous Oxide | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Manganese Sulfate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |
Old August 29th, 2007, 01:03 PM

Good suggestion about the iron. I had no idea that could cause a green color....and as long as its something in the food i'm thinking it should be ok, right? The only other food I saw the same effect with was Purina Pro Plan Performance.....and it was even greener. I had a hard time comparing some of the ingredients, but for sure they had copper in common....maybe that also plays a role. As for treats, the only ones I give him now are Solid Gold beef jerky (dark brown) and wellness venison jerky (medium brown). The Barking at the moon is also a dark brown color and maybe some of the coloring could be affecting the stool. As long as it's not a medical issue, I don't mind the color though.
Old August 29th, 2007, 01:12 PM
-

As I am the overly cautious type I would take a stool sample to your vet. Or maybe he/she could tell you over the phone if green poop is a concern.
Old August 29th, 2007, 02:01 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Hi, Dazy's has been green for a few days too? I was thinking it was from eating grass from our filed walks and the green milkbones that came in the variety pack my man bought. Are either of those things green enough to make the poop green even after digestion? Her poop is healthy looking and solid, just green.

One day at walmart they had vet techs in to answer questions about animal nutrition and I heard them warn people about anything green - how the body indentifies it as a toxin and deosn't digest it and will try and rid the body of it as quickly as possible.

Just what I heard them say to a couple who had handfuls of Greenies products.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)