Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 19th, 2007, 03:14 PM

agressive cat

We have a 13 week old kitten named Joie. Yesterday we got her a friend, a 6 week old kitten, we named Abby.

Joie hiss's and spits and growls at her and runs away. Fine it will take time to get used to each other.

Well, Joie has started getting aggressive towards me. She deskinned my arm yesterday. And today everytime I go near her she spits and growls at me. Won't have anything to do with me and she always comes to me for loving.

I don't understand.
Mom to 2 kittens ages 6 weeks and 13 weeks.
Old August 19th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Cats under stress will often lash out at anything and everything. Perhaps you need to take a step back and keep them separated a little longer, make the introduction more gradual: http://www.homevet.com/petcare/petmeet.html

You could also try a calming pheromone like Feliway in a room diffuser, to help ease tensions. Do you have at least 2 litter boxes? There should be one for each cat, plus an extra if you have the space, preferably in different parts of the house.

Good luck, these things mostly just take lots of time and patience.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 19th, 2007, 04:04 PM

sugarcatmom

Thanks for the advice. I hope that is only takes a few weeks. I do have 3 litter boxes, one for each cat and one just in case.
Mom to 2 kittens ages 6 weeks and 13 weeks.
Old August 19th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I had Vlad about a month and a half before I brought Oksana home. For about a week I kept them apart while I was at work. When I came home, I played with Vlad first then would go play with Oksana. What I did to get him used to her was I'd take her out to the living room with me, where Vlad was, in a carrier. Vlad could see her and she could see him.

He was curious, she hissed, he ran around the carrier and jumped on it, and she meowed. But I wanted them to know the other was around. The only place I had that the door wasn't too close to the floor was the closet. I put Vlad in the closet and allowed both to touch paws for a little bit.

After a week, I took her out to the living room and allowed them to get close. Vlad wanted to attack her immediately, but I always held her and when I'd see him coming, I'd cover her. After another few days a friend of mine came over and said I needed to just let them work things out.

It was hard, because I put Oksana on the floor and Vlad went for her. I thought he was going to kill her or something, but my friend, who has dogs and went through this told me to let them work it out. Oksana fought back and managed to get away from him. I didn't realize that Vlad was just showing himself as the dominant one. After a few hours things died down. At one point he was chasing her and she stopped at his water bowl. To my utter surprise he stopped chasing her and allowed her to drink from his bowl. Later that evening, they were both sleeping side by side.

So it took my two about a week and a half, but I know sometimes it takes longer. Your first kitty just isn't used to another cat around, and if he's like my Vlad, was probably taken from his mom young, and doesn't know how to associate with other cats. So it may take time for him to get used to the new kitty.