Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 6th, 2011, 10:54 PM

Question What Do Black Spots on A Cat's Eyelids Mean?

I have an 3-year-old orange cat that I've had since he was a kitten. When he was about 1 1/2 years-old he began to develop black spots inside the bottoms of his eyelids. They look like dark black ink. Over the years they've increased in number; but, they don't look terrible. I initially thought something was wrong, so I called my vet and asked. She asked me, "Is it your orange cat?" I said "Yes." She told me that this was normal for orange cats ....that it was just part of their marking. I always thought that cat's eyes were a reflection of their health and, while it doesn't look disfiguring, it also doesn't look too heallthy. She is a new vet for me, so I don't know much about her background.

Also, just today I noticed one small dot like the others on the same cat's lower lip. Has anybody else had this experience with orange cats? Or ANY of their cats? Is it normal or is it a sign of an illness? Thanks for your input!!

Shaun
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Perhaps instead of calling your vet, an actual visit should be done.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I have an orange cat and he does have black inside his mouth, sort of like some dogs that have black spots in their mouths.
Old April 7th, 2011, 01:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If only for peace of mind, I think I'd make an appt for a vet visit, katzmeow. We have an orange and white dog and she, too, is developing dark 'freckles' as she ages--on the lids, the lips, and even some flecks in her irises. These, too, turned out to be normal, but we still get them checked now and then when we go into the clinic for other things.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 7th, 2011, 02:50 PM

Thumbs up Regarding Black Spots

Since yesterday I did some research on my orange cat's eyelids with the black spots. The condition is normal for [I]orange cats only[I]. It is a pigmentaion condition similar to freckles and is called "Lentigo Simplex". Although it can sometimes look bad (or cute!) it is purely harmless. It can appear on eyelids, noses and mouths. Starts at 1 or 2 years of age (or so) and more "dots" appear as they age. My cat's eyelids look a little funky with all the spots; but, maybe they will all join together and look like eyeliner someday!! I don't care -- I'm just so glad to know it is a harmless condition!

Old April 7th, 2011, 03:59 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Glad to hear it!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 8th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

That's neat! i didn't think anything of it, cause Coco's been to the vet for other things and the vet never said anything about his black spots. He's got them on the bottom lids of his eyes and in his mouth. I think he's around 10 years old so he's got quite a few. Makes him a little more unique He's quirky as it is!

I would've been concerned if they were raised or crusty or nasty in some other way but they aren't.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 04:51 PM

Orange cat with black spots on lips and eyes

I have 2 orange tabby cats. They are both 3.5 years old and both have the black spots on their lips and one has the spots on his eye lids. The spots look like dark purple ink. A month ago the vet examined my cats and checked their teeth and did not say anything about the spots. Now that I see this I will pay close attention and monitor the spots.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 10:51 PM

One of my cats is orange and white, and has these spots on eyes and lips. I always wondered what they were, and our vet never mentioned them either. Interesting to find out what they are, thanks.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 11:01 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

Have grown up with orange cats, and all of them had the spots. I think its akin to our fairer human folks that get freckles in the sun. It is what it is. I am fair skined, I sunburn, and freckle. Not as bad as a cousin of mine...but still..you can play connect the dots on my arms and legs. (thank god not my face) (no offense cousin april).