Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 15th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Question? Dermaxx or Metacam- long term?

Okay, most already know about my Ciara's problems and medication she has/is on....I count my blessings, she has been with me for over a year longer than predictions and is doing so..so. Last month Ciara went through a vomiting stage daily, mostly at night when her stomach was empty, she never vomited after eating.
To back step for a moment, I am not posting this under "ask the vet" because I am comfortable with my own vet's advice & have been in constant contact with Dr. Stapler.
Ciara has been on Deramaxx since Febuary of last year and has done well, I give credit to this drug partially for her still being here and pain free...with her recent episode of vomiting and soaking up info from this board I began to question the on going use. Renal failure is a big fear.
I have stopped using Deramaxx...as of today I am starting to use Metacam.
Metacam has only been availible in the states for one year now. Dr. Stapler uses this with her own dogs and she said she is very pleased.
Just to rehash..Ciara is also on Adequan inj.- 1.7 cc i.m bi-monthly and Synovi-MSM Glucosimine granuales 800mg daily.
I would like some feedback on Metacam. I have the website addy but we all know the proof is from experience.
Also note please this is a must in Ciara's case, she needs to have one of these drugs for her well being and to lead a pain free life given her condition.
Thanks again..
Old May 15th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I put my dog on Metacam, but only when he was nearly 13 and old age would claim him long before any potential liver damage from the drug would.

If your dog is old and arthritic as mine was, I would say give anything that offers freedom from pain. At a certain age, quality of life is much more important than quantity. JMO!
Old May 15th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

My dog was on metacam off and on in his very senior years and it did not do him any harm.

Joint inflammation and arthritis can be combated with glucosamine and shark cartilidge, you may want to give that a try ?
Old May 15th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I should add that Rimadyl, Metacam and glucosamine stopped working on my dog as the joint deterioration increased, and I ended up just giving him plain aspirin, which did relieve his pain.
Old May 15th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Senior Contributor

where does one get shark cartalidge? what does it look like? can i get it at the pet shop and how often do i give it to her?? thanks lovely people
Old May 15th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Glucosamine and shark cartilidge can be purchased at any health food store, holistic vet office or even pharmacy.

There are combinations of the two on the market in one pill form (or capsulated to break open and mix with food) good idear for doggies!

I would try a holistic brand, from a health food store or one from your vet.
The dosage would depend on your dogs health, age and weight.
Old May 15th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Senior Contributor

thanks spunky chicken. i had visions of a big bit of shark tail of something, would want to hope that one is dead eh? 'dog gets eaten by shark cartlidge that wasnt quite dead'
i will go and have a looksee see what i can find, thanks lovelies.
Old May 15th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

yw melsies

BTW sharks are immune to every disease known to mankind SO the shark cartilidge is actually a great immune system booster as well esp if you have a dog sick with an autoimmune disease.

Hey Karin you ever considered the shark cartilidge for immune system boosting?
Old May 15th, 2004, 07:57 PM

If you had to weigh the two against each other..Metacam vs Deramaxx...

Which would get your vote...I have a month supply of Deramaxx on hand and just picked up the Metacam today..

Ciara has already been on the best glocosamines availible..Adequan is amazing...

What do I have to fear with the Metacam?...I know it metabolizes differently but the cautions are the same.

Knowing you have used the drug with good results helps alot with my decision to switch...I was not warned of the problems with Deramaxx and since I no longer work for a vet I was not privy to the info, I learned about the problems from the board here and talked with my vet.
Give me a heads up signal if you here of any contradictions...
Btw, the 100ml bottle cost $ 90.00. Is this about right?
*Not that $$ was EVER an issue with Ciara!*
Old May 15th, 2004, 07:59 PM

Hey Melanie, can't you just go out in a boat and reel in one of those big Great White suckers outside of the shark fence? Yow, you folks grow your sharks big down there. You could have enough cartillage to make a super dog with unbreakable bones! 30 feet long even! Maybe their teeth would become serrated, and they could sense the smell of blood from a mile off! And swim better too! Just kidding.
Karin, I hope your poochie gets the meddies that work best. I swear when I went to the vet the first time I never realised how many different meds there were for animals! I figured there would be a number of them, but not as many as are actually available.
Old May 15th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

You may be able to get it cheaper but depends on where you go:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...3&pCatId=10803

http://petrx.com/index.asp?PageActio...ODGROUP&ID=137

http://nationalpetpharmacy.com/store...ge=2&root_id=0

Shark Cartilidge would really benefit Ciara, help boost her immune system.
I'm glad she's on the glucosamine, thats great stuff for sure!

Since it's not a steroid, you don't have to worry about the side effects of steroids (good thing) which relieved my mind a LOT I can tell you. Rusty was on prednisone before which created all kinds of problems (weakened joints ...surgery for torn cruciate ligaments etc....it was horrible)

Boosting the immune system with natural products you may find the pain lowers and you won't have to give as much of the metacam. I never gave the recommended dosage all of the time, I would see how he felt first. NO need to over drug. But if there is discomfort yup give it!

How are you doing through all this? It's so hard!
Old May 15th, 2004, 08:45 PM

My Foster boy, Taylor, is on metacam and cosequin. I have been told by a very knowledgeable person, that putting one capsule of Milk Thistle on his food each day will help counteract any effects the metacam will have on his liver. I am doing this and I don't know how it is working, but I am doing in case it does help.

Heather
Old May 16th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Senior Contributor

All you people are just a world of information,great read
Billy-Bob,you're a bit of a nut-case your sense of humour will get you a loooong way
Old May 16th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Senior Contributor

oh billy bob, yeah right, i might use the dog as bait, they say dont swim in the sea with a dog as a shark can smell them for a 10km radius. well she hasnt been taken yet, maybe the sharks have blocked noses. . funny in australia we have a habbit of breeding big, nasty looking things that generally bite and try to kill, so watch out i might come after you, chomp (watched a doco last night on shark swiming and they say that a shark attacks as it can feel your raised heart beat, stay calm and they will leave you alone, yeah well i dont think i will be trying that any time soon).
for imune boosting i use a product called Bob Martin Multi Vitamins, they make them for dogs and cats and are full of lots of yummy vitamins, they also come in chicken flavour. i just use them daily or weekly just for added security. am i correct milk thistle comes from health food shops??
also a friend of mine has a old sick puppy and she uses Bowen Therepy. it is a form of muscle manipulation that has wide ranging health effects, she actually performs the therapy but said there is lots of book out there and other practicioners, so check it out, it may help. hope he feels better soon, poor baby, give him a big cuddle from us all here, and give yourself one too
Old May 17th, 2004, 06:49 PM

Hmm? I was told by Dr. Stapler to not expect any results from the Metacam for about a week, she had her second dose today, ( in the am), and while attempting to walk her today she yanked and pulled me all over the park!
She is very brite eyed and spry..she wants to play. I called Doc and she said it's possible she is already feeling the effects being as how she was already on a NSAID for long term. I am pleased so far with the results but I do have a concern. I will go to the Metacam website because I am not fimiliar with meloxicam and my loaned out PDR was never returned. ( BOO-HISS!)
My concern is the make-up of the drug, anti-inflammatory is great but too much pain relief from other properties I fear will "mask" her pain, I know Metacam is not a scheduled drug, (narcotic) but masking the pain can cause her further injury. I do not want her to overdo it and ignore her limits.
She chased a squirrel up a tree today...first time in her 5 years.
Just a reminder she weighs 85 lbs, left femoral head is broken (self fho) right femoral head is disintegrating also, her bones are pitted and brittle due to a miss diagnosis Of Addison disease as a pup with following steroid treatment for almost 4 years, an endocrine nightmare.
I love it that she feels so good but I also worry. I know I could be just paranoid a little, *just a little bit?*. I have been through so much with her now is not a time to wear blinders.
Also looking into a second job to pay for the increase of expense of Ciara's monthly meds. This will keep us apart for a few hours in the evening.
Sorry for the long middle part.
Old May 17th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Wow great to hear! She must have been happy herself she got to chase a squirrel yaaaaa Ciara!
I love her name by the way!!

Don't forget the supplements.

Sardines are high in calcium, maybe she'd like a tin every week!
Old May 17th, 2004, 07:24 PM

Thanks Luba!......but, she already has butt breath, (ongoing anal gland problem, constant expressions needed). I fear a sardine breath to add to it..ugh! There has to be a better solution! Butt/fish, butt/fish..gross! lol!

She is big on kissing too....

Btw, I named her "Ciara" after my favorite perfume, so no one would forget.

..and I get butt breath!

Gee, I love her so much!
Old November 15th, 2005, 06:06 PM

Adequan? Is it too late?

Hello,
I'm new to the board, but have been researching the use of Adequan for my Samoyed, Tasha (11 year old rescue that I've had since she was 9 mo old). She had ACL surgery last March on her right hind leg, which never seemed to help much, her joint is still grinding and she has a severe limp. She has been on Rymadyl all year, this seems to manage the pain but doesn't help with her use of the leg (she doesn't put much weight on it) - which makes me wonder if the Rymadyl is really helping with the pain?

Anyway - our new vet suggested we try Adequan, but we were wondering if there has been too much damage to the joint? Any advise - thoughts. Also - just as we were going to start the Adequan treatment, I noticed Tasha developed an absyss in that same joint. That absyss is finally about drained and healing- now we are hoping it doesn't come back!

Any advise would be appreciated.

***no self promotion please

Last edited by White Wolf; January 30th, 2006 at 09:40 PM.
Old November 15th, 2005, 06:17 PM

This thread is over a year old, so I'm not sure if the problem is still an issue.

Welcome to the boards.

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!