Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 16th, 2007, 05:31 PM

Vet wasn't concerned

I took my dog to the vet after she had diaherria and was vomitting. All of her bowel movements were not liquid and she had vomitted 8 times in 17 hours. After keeping food down over night she still did not want to eat the next morning so I got her to the vet. Since my dog was upbeat and playful he was not too concerned and put her on a special food for a few days and some medication for 4 days. My dog has since had 2 bowel movements one was fine and the second was liquid with a trace of blood. Should I be concerned and get her back to the vet?
Old October 16th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Senior Contributor

The blood would concern me...did the vet tell you any thing to watch out for? Is she still happy and active? drinking water?
Trust your gut, if you think things are looking worse bring her in... if something doesn't feel right to you, bring her in....
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old October 16th, 2007, 05:47 PM

My vet did not tell me anything, I really do not trust him because he went back and forth on if he should be giving my dog any medication.
Old October 16th, 2007, 06:59 PM
-

The blood may be something to be concerned about or she may have ruptured a blood vessel from straining with the diarrhea.

Dogs (and people) who have had continuous vomitting and diarrhea should be fasted not fed for at least 24 hours. This gives the body a chance to settle itself ~ sometimes when your body has been throwing up for a long time, the signal to throw up gets kicked into overdrive and it won't shut off even though whatever was making you ill in the first place is no longer making you ill. It also gives the body a chance to process out any food or drink which may have been in the system and caused the illness in the first place. Fasting generally means no drink and no food.

In your case, after this period of time I would worry about your dog and dehydration. You can try allowing him a little water or water and pedialyte (you can pick this up at the drug store). I would also take his temperature to monitor for fever and keep an eye on his tummy for distension and discomfort.

If the vomitting continues during and after the 24 hour fast or starts again with feeding, if it were my dog I would head to the Vet with a stool sample for parasite testing, blood panel and chem screen and to ask for something prescribed to combat nausea. You can try Pepcid AC in the interim. To help stop diarrhea some people have found Bismuth useful in treating diarrhea but note most otc products contain aspirin.
Old October 17th, 2007, 03:19 AM

Time to take your dog to a new vet - if you don't trust the first one

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food