Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 13th, 2007, 08:57 AM

What's wrong with my dog? (sorry, long)

Here is the background: Sunday evening Buddy just wasn't right, seemed like his neck was bothering him. I sat with him for a little while, then he came around and seemed fine. Monday, he was fine, no problems. Tuesday my mom let him out around noon and she said he didn't seem quite right. I got home around 3 and he was fine, let him out, brought him back in, no problems. Left the house and came back in around 4:30, called him to get out of his bed and he literally fell out of it. He was all hunched up with his head down, trembling, unable to walk straight. I rubbed him all over but he didn't seem to be in pain on any particular part of his body.

My regular vet was unavailable and her fill-in was booked so I took him to a local guy. The dog seemed a little brighter at the vet, but still wobbly. Normal temp, normal blood sugar test. He ran a snap test and said he was a +2. He gave me some doxy and also sent away blood for a full work-up.

Wed a.m. the dog was not happy. Very stiff, very wobbly. I gave him some doxy as prescribed by the vet and a short time later he threw up 3 times. I think the doxy upset his stomach. He has not vomited since.

Wed p.m. I took him to my regular vet who looked at the blood work and didn't see anything that caught her eye. The dog was almost normal at the vets, but all day Wed he stayed in his bed, and had to be carried outside to pee. He was very wobbly - looked drunk.

My vet decreased his doxy and gave me some rimadyl.

Thurs and Fri he was really bad, he would literally fall over if he tried to walk. Very stiff and the few steps he would take would be very crooked. Not a happy dog. When I carry him outside and put him down, he falls right on his face, then I help him stand up.

He is no better today (Saturday) Still hunched over with head down.

He is eating and drinking. He has not have a fever. Has anybody had a dog act like this when he/she had Lyme?
Old October 13th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Senior Contributor

What BREED of dog do you have. This information really helps, particularly if symptoms are those common to health problems experienced by certain breeds. Your dog definitely needs to go back to the vet and I am thinking an X-Ray.
Old October 13th, 2007, 12:07 PM

Curious...

Which SNAP test did the vet run? There are several for dogs.
Old October 13th, 2007, 12:24 PM

I'm not really sure what breed of dog he is, I got him for a shelter in April of 2006, they were told he was 2 years old. We are guessing shih tzu, lhasa apso, maybe maltese in there too?

The receipt from the vet states: 4DX snap test for the Lyme.
Old October 13th, 2007, 12:36 PM

The SNAP 4Dx Test Kit is an enzyme immunoassay for the detection of Dirofilaria immitis antigen, as well as antibodies to Borrelia burgdorferi, Anaplasma phagocytophilum and Ehrlichia canis in canine whole blood, serum or plasma.

http://www.idexx.com/animalhealth/te...ifications.jsp

After looking at the website, not sure what +2 means.

Also was the doxycyline just given as a precaution?

Last edited by Freyja; October 13th, 2007 at 12:38 PM.
Old October 13th, 2007, 12:47 PM

FYI Rimadyl is often used for arthritis in dogs. It is an anti-inflammatory.

"I have never used Rimadyl in my practice. I never buy drugs the first year they come out. I wait to see the number of reactions reported to the FDA. Unfortunately, most vets get all their information from the sales people. I have asked a Senator in Texas to introduce a bill to prohibit the approval of Continuing Education Credits for a seminar where the speaker is a paid employee of a drug company or where a conflict of interest exists. Speakers should reveal all financial ties to any products discussed. I feel this is central to the problem with Rimadyl and many other drugs. To follow is the handout I give to all clients to warn them about side effects of all NSAIDs. All the information came from Dr Dawn Boothe, pharmacology professor at Auburn."

http://www.srdogs.com/Pages/rimadyl.rec.html (Senior Dog Project)
Old October 13th, 2007, 06:11 PM

I've been spending quite a bit of time searching out his symptoms on-line. Could he have WNV?

"symptoms include depression, decreased appetite, difficulty walking, tremors, abnormal head posture, circling, and convulsions."

That describes him.

Two vets told me it was Lyme, but I am really doubting that diagnosis.
Old October 13th, 2007, 08:37 PM
-

I'm not sure where you are located but it's not mosquito season and the number of companion animals infected with West Nile Virus (in Canada) is statisically rare.
Old October 14th, 2007, 06:48 AM

I live in Pennsylvania, and up until mid-week last week, it was quite hot and the mosquito's were out.

Buddy went to an emergency clinic last night and they think he has C. spine pain and put him on Tramadol. They ran blood work and found nothing, but they didn't do any x-rays. He's still in bad shape this morning.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get him to my regular vet and she can x-ray him.
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

for a quick recovery for Buddy.
Old October 16th, 2007, 09:52 PM
-

I hope you were able to get some answers from your regular Vet. Did he get an Xray and did it show a disc problem ? that he is being appropriately treated and feeling better.
Old October 17th, 2007, 02:27 PM

Sunday I started him on robaxin and pred. Monday morning he seemed a little brighter.

Monday I got him to my vet and she did x-ray him and really didn't see anything. He seemed fine at her place, a normal happy dog, tail up in the air. It's a 45 minute ride home over some bumpy roads and by the time we got home he was a miserable little dog again! AHHHHHHH!

He is still miserable, although he is not falling over anymore. He keeps his head down and his back hunched and walks around a little. He is still on the pred and the robaxin.

I have a call into a chiropractor. (vet #4)

I just want my happy little dog back!