Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old July 17th, 2007, 02:57 PM

Help! Kitten/Cat new to BARF

My kitten Belle is almost four months now. She is a Seal Point Siamese. (Shes the one in my profile pic!) I love her to death and really want to include more raw meat in her diet. Currently she only gets scraps from my family, and the odd thing of tuna when I open a can.

I've been reading this forum and doing some research myself and I would love to put Belle on to a strictly BARF diet, but because I'm a student and most of the time away from home, I don't have the money to have all the raw food for her.

I was hoping I could get some tips and suggestions of the best kinds of meat and veggies to combine to give to her. As well as portions. My biggest concern is what kind, or if I should give her raw bones. I also was reading that tuna is not so good for cats, but she is unshakable when the can is opened. lol

So far she seems to eat just about anything that drops to the floor, and hasn't shown any reaction to tuna, beef or chicken. Please help this newbie!
Old July 17th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Not sure if you've seen these two websites before but they have some really great info on feeding cats a raw diet:

http://www.catinfo.org/makingcatfood.htm
http://www.catnutrition.org/foodmaking.html

As for the tuna, a snack of it here and there shouldn't be a problem, you just don't want it to become a substantial part of Belle's diet. Gotta keep the little furballs happy after all!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 17th, 2007, 06:11 PM

Thank you so much! The second link pretty much answered all my questions.
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:00 AM

its not pricey

Just wanted to chime in on this one-When I got a whole chicken plus chicken livers from the butcher recently-ground-it was only 2.75 for the entire thing~~!! I believe if done right, raw can actually be cheaper than canned (especially the upscale fancy cans). Even if you do organic! I guess if you're getting venison and exotic meats it may be different too-but raw meat shouldnt cost much at all. I think the cost is more in the time you put in to mix it all together.