Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old July 14th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Gravol ? has anyone used it before?

Just wondering if anyone has used gravol for travelling? I would like to go somewhere for a few days and bring Winston along...We have travelled with him before to Pet Friendly hotels but it does stress him out! I could get something from the vet but it is hard on him...We are worried because when we go away with him we feel that he is going to bark his head off when we go out somewhere?? He has never destroyed anything but I would like to go out for dinner or maybe some shopping and of course I cannot take him along!! and would like to feel comfortable that he is okay.

We plan on taking him everywhere we can but there may be some places he cannot go?

Has anyone tried gravol before?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 14th, 2007, 03:15 PM
-

The primary purpose of gravol is as an anti-nauseant. The fact that it puts us, our children and our pets to sleep is simply a bonus. If Winston is anxious about new circumstances Gravol won't work ~ his anxiety will override all the soporiphic benefits of Gravol.

You would be far better off with training techniques (the same as is used with separation anxiety and with teaching quieting), a crate if appropriate to Winston and a Bachs remedy or two. I know you know that "doggy-downers" are available and agree that they are a last resort.

Last edited by mummummum; July 14th, 2007 at 05:04 PM.
Old July 14th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Mum3 .. have you used this before? What are the effects?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 14th, 2007, 05:02 PM
-

I've only used gravol as an anti-nauseant and it didn't work. For days and days it didn't work.
Old July 14th, 2007, 07:33 PM

Try something called "Compose" http://www.trinatural.com/proline/compose.php
I have a young Bitch that because we were in a small Fender Bender and her Crate crashed into the Front Seat pants freakishly from anxiety when we travel.
It is rather costly, but I guarantee it will work, and the nice thing about it is you can eventually do without it entirely.
Old July 14th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I assume you mean for Winston?

I would recommend NOT using gravol or valarian for two primary reasons: (I realize you di not ask about valarian but the same advice applies)
  • Gravol is a powerful medication (even 1/2 is a lot for an animal) and it can over sedate them and they become confused and can choke on something or smother on a pillow or something in their carrier
  • Very often, these meds - both of them - affect the cat or dog in a reverse manner in which they are supposed to, ie a pet will become very hyper and you will have a yowling or barking animal for the entire trip and one who is unhappy and scared. It is not worth it!!

I have used either Rescue remedy or cocculine , the latter more often. It was suggested by my vet and is available in any health food store. It has no adverse effects and is for anti-nausea (like gravol) but tends to make animals sleepy. However, I would advise you to talk with your vet before giving your pet ANY medication - even one from a health food store since I do not know what other meds your pet might be on and your vet will know your pet's history.

I have seen the effects of gravol and valarian given to cats who had no experience with it - members of their family (ie , small children) arrive in our ER badly scratched after the cat because s/he was so so hyper!! Of the 2 substances I have mentioned here, I tried them out on my pets first before taking them anywhere. You do not want to be in a moving vehicle or an airplane and discover that something you administered yo your pet has had the opposite effect of what you wanted.

Now, I rarely give my pets anything when travelling. The best way to is to get them accustomed to it when they are young so they are used to travelling so you do not require medications.
Old July 15th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Yes it is for Winston But the main purpose is not really for the drive but afterwards..he is great in the car! he just gets really stressed if we leave without him...We went to Ottawa a few years ago and he was uptight about being in a different place...and if we went out he would be barking or panting etc...so I am looking for something to calm him and maybe make him a bit sleepy??

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 15th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I used Gravol for my cat once for calming during traveling and I only used it one day. It made him worse, not better.
Old July 15th, 2007, 12:09 PM
-

I've never tried Compose (see Bpiss'spost < ya gotta change yer monicker !>) but a quick look at the product base (L-Theanine ) ~ it looks good to me and well worth a try as a natrural de-stressor. See http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/n...lth_0296.shtml for information about how and why it works.
Old July 15th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Cindy, perhaps an anti anxiety med your vet could give might better suit your needs -or Winston's needs if it is to help him relax when you are out. But you still would have to make certain there is nothing he can choke on and so forth. I would ask your vet and see what s/he thinks.

Good luck!
Old July 15th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thanks Cyberkitten! I was trying to avoid that! She gave us something years ago and I did not like the way he was on it! He was stoned out of his mind and that cannot be good for him! I was just thinking of a way to relax him...he probably thinks we are leaving and not coming back!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown