Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old July 16th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Senior Contributor

The Lattice is up!

Hello all! So this weekend my friend Ernie and I put up the lattice in the loft of my new apartment. Actually, Ernie did most of the work, I just handed him things.

I think it looks great! I took some pictures of it this afternoon.

Here's a view from downstairs. Now, the lattice comes in different colors and has matching joiners, but when we went there were no white joiners, so I decided that the gray would look the least yucky. They can be painted, but I don't know. I rather like the look of the white with the gray.

Here's a view from the closet area.

And this is from the bathroom.

It's sturdy, and I'm going to put something on the bottom and in the joiners called liquid nails which is supposed to be strong stuff, so that will make it a bit more sturdy. It filters some of the light so its not so bright in the room, and the kitties can still sit on the ledge and enjoy the view.

I didn't go around the corner of the ledge, because the stairs are there, and so they can jump down on the stairs, which are carpeted and not get hurt. Also, in the future, when they are a little older, I want to make like a walkway right on the bottom part of the loft, and then bring it around the entire bottom edge, to the wall where I'll put some shelves or stairs for them.

I wouldn't feel so nervous about that, because its a little lower and I'll be positioning furniture under there. AND they will be able to walk onto the ledge from one of the stairs, and not jump, which is where there could have been an accident.

So what do you all think?

Last edited by ancientgirl; July 16th, 2007 at 05:47 PM.
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Doggie Wench

Great idea and it looks real good too
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks! It's just how I pictured it in my head.
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I love it,great idea,what a comfy cute miami apt...are you in south beach?
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm glad you like it. It's not on Miami Beach, in fact, I'm about 25 miles from the beach. But I'm in a great location, very close to everything I need.
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Senior Contributor

How nice,the colors make me think of south beach.
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:54 PM

I never offered my opinion on whether or not you should do it, but I was secretly vying for the yes side... It looks great! Depending on your furniture, the joiners look fine in grey. If you want to paint them, white would probably be best, but the same green as that side wall might look good as well?
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh yes, the colors are wonderful. I hate white walls, so I'm very happy that the previous tenants painted, and I'm even happier they painted colors I like.
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetFriendly View Post
I never offered my opinion on whether or not you should do it, but I was secretly vying for the yes side... It looks great! Depending on your furniture, the joiners look fine in grey. If you want to paint them, white would probably be best, but the same green as that side wall might look good as well?
Thank you! I knew it would look great, and it came out just the way I pictured it in my mind. It was the least expensive fix, and it wasn't cheap, but worth every penny. It will not only serve to ease my mind and know my little ones will be safe, but it also filters some of the light. I like your suggestion of the green on the walls. That would look nice.
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I know we still have yet to do our bedroom it reminds me of a hospital,i hate it..Those colors are nice.
Old July 16th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Senior Contributor

It's such an easy way to add some life to a room. This is like an olive green, which is the color I presently have in my kitchen. I would like to paint the bathroom in my room brown and a nice bright fun color in the half bath downstairs. I say get some paint, a roller and paint that room!
Old July 16th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I love the colors in jamba juice,i want soemhting like that in our place.bright and cheery like me(yeah right)
Old July 16th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh yeah! They have some great colors. I noticed you live in Hawaii, you must have some great colors just in the nature around you!
Old July 16th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah it is like nothing i have ever seen,and throw on polarized sunglasses and take a look,it is insane,i guess they take out the glare,man the water is 20 different colors,the trees are insane,the sky is to die for.So yeah it is pretty inspiring,
Old July 17th, 2007, 02:42 AM

Wow!

That looks amazing!!!

I just knew that it would look great!

Have you heard anything from those who thought it would look terrible? Now they will have to eat their hats!
Old July 17th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks! I think it looks pretty neat too. And its especially going to look nice when I leave a little light on up there.

I haven't shown the pictures to anyone else, but I'm sure they'll still say it looks bad. You know how some people can be.

But the important thing is, it will keep my little ones safe, it will give me peace of mind, and I like the looks of it.
Old July 17th, 2007, 08:47 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I like the looks of it, too! I'll bet it makes the loft feel a little cozier, too.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 17th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

You know, it does make it cozier. I like my bedroom to be enclosed! I didn't much like that it was a loft and just wide open to the rest of the apartment. I feel like I'm in my own little cave. I wish I'd had the money to do something really interesting, but the lattice is good for the time being and its an interesting architectural feature.
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:39 PM

I think it turned out great
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks! Ernie did a great job. In the future, when I have more money, I can think about doing something a little different and more permanent, since the condo owner said I could do whatever I wanted. But this will work in the meantime.
Old July 17th, 2007, 06:06 PM
-

I think it looks great.....the walls colours are so "refreshing and springlike" so it seems to fit right in.
Old July 17th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor

You know, you're right. I hadn't even looked at it from that point.

I sent a picture to the condo owner, who is a friend of mine, I've worked with in the past and have known for almost 8 years. He told me, and I quote: "Dude, you can put up a steal wall there for all I care, it doesn't matter."

LOL, so apparently, I've got the green light for anything.