Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 11th, 2006, 03:57 PM

Unhappy Cat Seizure

My 4 year old cat has had 2 seizures. One was recently and the first was 2 months ago. His last visit to the vet was about 4 months ago for a checkup and shots. At that point he had a clean bill of health. I am worried that taking him to the vet will result in a huge vet bill that i can't afford (I can afford about $100-200). I have read that diagnosing seizures in a cat will mean lots of costly tests and they are usually difficult to diagnose. His seizures have lasted less than a minute each time. Afterwards he seems confused, but is back to normal within 10 minutes. If I took him to a vet and explained that I can't afford the tests would the vet prescribe an anti-convulsive drug like Phenobarbital without performing tests? Should I just order this drug from the internet? Or should I just monitor the seizures and hope they don't get worse?
Your comments and advice are helpful, Thanks!

Last edited by kfowler; September 11th, 2006 at 04:05 PM.
Old September 11th, 2006, 04:08 PM

You should NOT order Phenobarbitol off the internet and give it to your cat, you could kill him. Only a vet should prescribe medications. Have you changed your cat's food recently? I had a cat who had seizures due to a food sensitivity, we put her on holistic food and she was fine after that.
Old September 11th, 2006, 04:08 PM

I don't know what tests the vet would do. A lot of vets just put them on anti-seizure drugs and see if that does it, depending on the history of the cat. You'll never know how much it costs till you go and you can always say no to the tests.

oh, yeah, never give drugs the vet hasn't told you to give. That could be deadly.
Old September 11th, 2006, 04:14 PM

Cat Seizure response

Hi and thanks for your responses to my post. Based on your responses I will definately not purchase any medicine from the internet for him!
Yes, his food did change about 3 months ago. I have another cat, Spot, who is overweight and has sphincter problems and the vet has recommended we give her medicinal food, which has definately helped her. The vet said it was okay to feed the other cat (Barry) the food as well.
I will certinaly try changing foods to see if that helps. I really appreciate your suggestion.
kf
Old September 11th, 2006, 04:18 PM

Pet Insurance

Just a thought but have you thought of pet insurance. I have just called this afternoon to add my new kitten to my pet insurance and it is only $17 a month. I am using Pet Plan www.petplan.ca. I only have the petselect coverage (as for my two dogs) but it covers a certain number of illnesses & accidents.
Old September 11th, 2006, 04:22 PM

Cat Sizure response 2

Thanks for the suggestion Daizy. Do you think they would insure a cat if it already has a health problem?
Old September 11th, 2006, 04:25 PM

They would as long as it has not been diagnosed by an animal health professional.
Old September 28th, 2006, 08:49 AM

have you read my threads about my young cat having seizures? What happens during your kitties seizure? Can you describe it to me? I am very interested. My Sassy is 3 and has had 4 violent seizures in 6 weeks. She is now on phenobarb, ( less than a week now) I wonder about her food so I will try to find something natural and change it. I live in a remote area so I may have to order it on line.... I look forward to chatting again... Barb
Old July 10th, 2007, 02:24 PM

Your pet needs medical attention. No question.