Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 13th, 2008, 12:00 PM

Question dog with trouble breathing

Hi everyone,

I'm new here after googling my problem, I found this site and hope I can get a bit of clarity.

I have a pekignese, and the situtation is a bit difficult otherwise I would bring her to the vet. She is 500KM away..

Anyway, the past few years, she has had problems come summer time. This leads me to believe a seasonal problem. She stops breathing, the makes grunting noises as though she's trying to breathe but something obstructs her, I try to help her breathe... Then after 20 seconds, sometimes a minute, she starts again and is ok. I have brought her in before for this, I was told it could be allergies/sinusitis/tonsilitis/cold. So, I don't know what it is. Allergies I suppose could make sense however she's started already and normally, she doesn't have this problem until the end of june, or july. Where she is, it's very cool still, no humidity yet and she normally stays indoors as she's not a very big doggy. She's a lazy dog, and is old as well.. 10 years.. She's pekignese so she does have a smaller snout, I'm sure that this doesn't help her at all.

She does have other conditions.. She has seizures, sometimes very bad, but no vet has been able to help with this other then for us to regulate her diet, it helps for the most part.

I just want to know.. what does this sound like?? I read something about a reverse sneeze although, to me, it doesn't sound like a sneeze of any sort. Everytime I hear it, I feel as though she's choaking. I do try to check her airways although I'm not professional, and I probably don't know exactly what I'm doing. By the time I bring her in to the vet, she's fine. They never have any sort of solution since they can't see it.

I worry that this will some day be the thing to take her.. and I feel this year is going to be the worse for her yet. She never did this as a pup, until she was about 7 or 8. I know allergies can develope suddenly however nothing has changed, she has been in the same house for a long time.. My parents do garden, but it's always the same stuff, even in the other houses we've lived in.

This doesn't happen when she goes outside though, it can, but it happens indoors too when she hasn't been out for a long time. It's just random.

I'm not sure what I'm asking but if anyone has any insight into this I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:11 PM

Have you ever had allergy tests done on your dog? What has your Vet suggested? I believe the short-snout dogs (Pek, tzus, pugs etc) can have some difficulties breathing but your Vet should be able to tell you if that is the case.

As for reverse sneezing, both my tzus have done this. It can be very scary when it happens but I have found (with Buster) that the best thing to do is calmly hold the dog and if you gently cover the nose for a few seconds they will start breathing normal. With Buster, his heart rate increases quite a bit with reverse sneezing so I do try and keep him calm after. Your Vet again should be able to help you with this.

Is there someone else who can take your Pek to the Vets? I think I would be working with my Vet, or another Vet for a second opinion, to find out exactly what was happening with my dog.

Good luck and would love to see some pictures!

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:22 PM

I don't know what tests they had done in the past. It cost a pretty penny though, and they gave me some medication for her... I didn't find it worked though. I think they had given her some antibiotics.

No one who is currently where she is has the means to pay for a vet visit, and their reasons are justified, its been a year of real difficulty for my family, and it's not even half way done yet! I don't currently have the means to bring her in at the moment either as I've got a huge move to plan for (back to where she is)... So we're in a bit of a bind. Once I'm able to I will bring her in again though as it seems to be the norm, I don't think I'll get many answers.

I will see if covering her nose a bit helps. I don't want to make her suffocate more though if she truely is just choaking, so I'll get my family to test it very carefully.

I'll see if I have a picture here.. I'm currently at work but have one I used for my desktop. I'll add it later as it's much too big..

Thanks for replying!

** I put her up as my avatar.. that's my little bug!

Last edited by aarnat; May 13th, 2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I think we need a bigger picture
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:21 PM

yes, bigger pictures please!!!

As for covering the nose......it is for a matter of seconds....if that makes them too nervous, try gently rubbing the throat, sometimes that helps.

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:37 PM

lol, alright. Twist my rubber arm! I will definately get one up when I'm back home.

I could put the other one.... but, I think I should wait til later, unless your monitor is a 22 inch, you may not be able to see it all!!! haha.

In the past I have tried to rub her throat. The first few times since I thought she had something lodged in her throat, I started to pump her chest a bit to try and make her cough it up. I don't know if it helped the breathing or not, but she would stop after a bit. Right now, I told my brother to make sure she keeps breathing, and if she does stop at all, to pump her chest... I figure this is the best thing for now since if she stops breathing, this will help restart.. I wish I was a vet!!
Old May 14th, 2008, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarnat View Post
I read something about a reverse sneeze although, to me, it doesn't sound like a sneeze of any sort.
Here is a video of a dog w/reverse sneezing.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old May 14th, 2008, 08:42 AM

Hi sorry, got so caught up last ngiht in a million and one things but I think I managed to get a smaller one.. If it's still gigantic, sorry!