Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 13th, 2007, 09:21 AM

accidents in the house

My dog, March, is just over a year old. His previous owner did not housetrain him at all, so when we got him (he was about 9 months old at the time), we had to teach him where to go. It only took a couple of months and he was doing very well. He had no problems for about 3 months. Then, one day, he started peeing in the house again. We weren't sure why, but we started over with the training methods. He didn't improve, instead he started pooping in the house as well. He even does this moments after we take him outside. He seems to do this when we leave him alone and don't put him in his kennel. He knows he shouldn't and immediately goes to his kennel for his "time out", so it's not that he doesn't know any better. I just heard it could be a health problem, but my vet here doesn't have any appt's available for almost a month and won't help me over the phone. March isn't really showing any other signs or symptoms other than he started licking his feet about the same time. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do about this? I really don't like to keep having to put him in his kennel for "time outs", but I really don't know what to do about this, so any suggestions are appreciated!!
Old June 13th, 2007, 11:01 AM
-

Sorry to ask the obvious but ~ is he doing ALL of his business when he is outside. Often males will pee several times on a typical walk as well as "mark their territory". On our medium-long walks (about an hour) my dogs will sometimes poop twice.

Has there been any change in your household lately that may have disrupted his routine or upset the "family balance" ~ caused him stress and uncertainty ?

What are the training methods you use ?

Is there another Vet you can see to rule out health issues ?
Old June 21st, 2007, 09:23 PM

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back (my internet suddenly decided to crash), but, yes, March does everything outside and only seems to do anything in the house when we leave him alone, out of his kennel.

My husband is military and is deployed right now, but he's usually gone more than the rest of us anyway, since he works a lot, so I wouldn't think that would be it.

When we originally trained him, we used the crating method (I guess that's what it's called). We would take him out every 2 hours or so (no more than 3 when he's out of his kennel), and keep him in his kennel when we weren't home or in bed. This seemed to work very well until the last few months.

We started to just kennel him when he does something he shouldn't -- sort of like a "time out" -- for about 15 or 20 minutes, and that seems to be working for the now. Hopefully, it will work and this behavior will stop altogether. Thanks for trying to help me out, and thanks for posting back, I really appreciate it!
Old June 21st, 2007, 10:14 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterboxx01 View Post

We started to just kennel him when he does something he shouldn't -- sort of like a "time out" -- for about 15 or 20 minutes, and that seems to be working for the now.
I don't think this is related but you really can't use the crate as a punishment, the crate is suppose to be a "good place" for him. Maybe call the vet and leave your name , in case they have a cancellation , you could get an earlier appointment.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 01:13 AM
Rottie Lover

I agree, the crate is not supposed to be a place of punishment but thought of as a home for your dog, sort of as its own room. You would want to find a different place to put him when being punished like a separate room away from everyone or something. By making the crate a punishment spot he could be 'revolting' against you when you put him in there for a reason other then punishment. Think of a spoiled kid having a tantrum!
Old June 29th, 2007, 07:49 PM

thanks for everyone's feedback, I really appreciate it and will look into all the advice you've given!
Kristina
Old June 29th, 2007, 07:49 PM

thanks for everyone's feedback, I really appreciate it and will look into all the advice you've given!
Kristina