Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 3rd, 2004, 07:12 AM
rcmcgee rcmcgee is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6
question

I have six cats. One started sneezing the other day. Now the other five have also stared sneezing. What is going on
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:08 AM
amaruq's Avatar
amaruq amaruq is offline
banned user
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 743
You need a vet...could be an Upper respirtory infection which can be deadly.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:30 AM
rcmcgee rcmcgee is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaruq
You need a vet...could be an Upper respirtory infection which can be deadly.
Are you serious. My cays are all indoor cats . Could you please tell me more. how could they have picked up something. thank you
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:56 AM
MBRA518 MBRA518 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Blackstock, Ontario
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmcgee
Are you serious. My cays are all indoor cats . Could you please tell me more. how could they have picked up something. thank you
Well it may be just a cold... but best to go find out. But we had cat parvo go through the barn before and it was sneezing... but quite violent. Not sure how yours would get it unless there are other animals around your windows maybe... cats sitting near screens??? Just a guess.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:28 AM
Lucky Rescue Lucky Rescue is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 10,287
It sounds like your cats may have picked up a mild case of rhinotracheitis, an upper respiratory problem that might be compared to a cold, although cats do not get colds in the way we do.

If your cats are indoor and healthy, it should pass in a week or 10 days. Just be on the lookout for green discharge from eyes or nose, or any wheezing. This would indicate a secondary infection and a vet visit would be necessary.

Make sure they are eating and drinking too.

My own 3 cats just had a little case of this just recently, with sneezing only, and now everyone is fine.

MBRA518 - your cats had feline parvo?? This is a very serious disease and requires treatment.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:28 AM
rcmcgee rcmcgee is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
It sounds like your cats may have picked up a mild case of rhinotracheitis, an upper respiratory problem that might be compared to a cold, although cats do not get colds in the way we do.

If your cats are indoor and healthy, it should pass in a week or 10 days. Just be on the lookout for green discharge from eyes or nose, or any wheezing. This would indicate a secondary infection and a vet visit would be necessary.

Make sure they are eating and drinking too.

My own 3 cats just had a little case of this just recently, with sneezing only, and now everyone is fine.

MBRA518 - your cats had feline parvo?? This is a very serious disease and requires treatment.
yes i just talked to the vet and they said it should go away in about two weeks but to keep an eye on their eating habits . I thank all of yous for the help.Yes you were right lucky rescue. thank you again
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:51 AM
MBRA518 MBRA518 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Blackstock, Ontario
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
MBRA518 - your cats had feline parvo?? This is a very serious disease and requires treatment.
Yup.. a stray brought in to my mother's place... The treatment didn't work... the cats would clear up and it would look like she had it beat... then a few months later it would return... after about 3 - 4 bouts of this she finally had to put them down. Since we didn't know were it came from she stayed catless for 18 months to be sure the virus had died before she got more cats. She has 3 of the cutest cats now... each one is a great mouser... they bring "presents" most every morning... LOL. I keep telling her I'm going to steal her steel grey cutie.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:02 PM
rcmcgee rcmcgee is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBRA518
Yup.. a stray brought in to my mother's place... The treatment didn't work... the cats would clear up and it would look like she had it beat... then a few months later it would return... after about 3 - 4 bouts of this she finally had to put them down. Since we didn't know were it came from she stayed catless for 18 months to be sure the virus had died before she got more cats. She has 3 of the cutest cats now... each one is a great mouser... they bring "presents" most every morning... LOL. I keep telling her I'm going to steal her steel grey cutie.
Ijust wanted to thank all of yous again and is there any other signs to look for besides their eating habits and green discharge?what about their sleeping habits is there any change there? thanks again
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 10.00%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 PM.