Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 21st, 2007, 03:05 PM

Coccidia

I have a 8 month old Blue Heeler that was diagnosed with Coccidia two week ago on Sunday June 10. He was put on SMZ-TMP for a total of 10 days along with a bland diet of rice and boiled beef for 4 days. Through out the 10 days I noticed he had been dry heaving a bunch and vomiting a few times what looked to be white foamy liquids. When I got home from work yesterday my sister informed me that Mister had been staggering around the house as if he was intoxicated. I kept an eye on him through the night and this morning I woke up to him vomiting on my bed and when I called him to get him out of the room he got off the bed and fell flat on his face and now he can barely seem to stand up straight and his breathing is pretty rapid.

I've been trying to find out more about this SMZ drug however I'm not finding much when it comes to being taken by canine. Has anyone had any run ins with this drug or even a dog with the same side effects?
Old June 21st, 2007, 03:36 PM

Please stop wasting time researching side effects of the drug. Your dog sounds like he is SERIOUSLY ill .. get him to a vet asap!
Old June 21st, 2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchelp View Post
Please stop wasting time researching side effects of the drug. Your dog sounds like he is SERIOUSLY ill .. get him to a vet asap!
I'm well aware he might be seriously ill but I took him to the vet this past Monday, June 18, and the vet found nothing wrong with him. I mentioned the vomiting and the vet didn't seem to be too concerned about it.

I already have $800 on my credit card in vet bills and I'm just trying to refrain from having to drive almost 2 hours to go to the nearest VCA clinic like I had to do when I found out he had coccidia.
Old June 21st, 2007, 04:51 PM

I'm sorry, but this sounds like much more than vomitting. Have you tried calling the vet and describing these symptoms and asking if you should make the 2 hour trip?
Old June 21st, 2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchelp View Post
I'm sorry, but this sounds like much more than vomiting. Have you tried calling the vet and describing these symptoms and asking if you should make the 2 hour trip?
I called my vet this morning and all the lady could tell me is that it didn't sound good and she could make me appointment to bring Mister in, however the earliest I can get in is Friday but I can't take him Friday because I have to work and I don't get paid until Monday and my credit card is maxed out.
And as far as the VCA clinic goes they told me I could bring him in but there's still that money issue until I get paid because I can't put anything else on my credit card. I just moved a little over two months ago and started working about a month ago so money is sort of hectic right now and the only reason I took Mister in is because his previous owner was going to shoot him.
I just feel horrible because I have no idea what's wrong with him and I feel there's nothing I can do to help him right now. I'm going to try to buy him some different food when I get off work in awhile hoping that maybe he just isn't liking the food I'm giving him and he's famished due to not eating right.
Old June 21st, 2007, 05:39 PM
-

While I appreciate your money and work barriers (personal note: I have just forked over four thousand dollars for unexpected surgery) however, this is a life we are talking about. I don't know your circumstances but I encourage you to reach out to your relatives and friends, find things to pawn or sell etc.

Personally, I would do whatever I had to do if my dog was as seriously ill as your dog appears to be from your description. Please update us once you have seen the Vet.
Old June 21st, 2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
While I appreciate your money and work barriers (personal note: I have just forked over four thousand dollars for unexpected surgery) however, this is a life we are talking about. I don't know your circumstances but I encourage you to reach out to your relatives and friends, find things to pawn or sell etc.

Personally, I would do whatever I had to do if my dog was as seriously ill as your dog appears to be from your description. Please update us once you have seen the Vet.
I know it's a life, hence why I'm so at lost as to what to do. I can't spend money I don't have. What money I didn't have that I could spend I already spent that on the first time I took him in.

I'm hoping that maybe he has an ear infection or some sort, which would explain is loss of balance and such. I have a friend that is a Jr at A&M doing Veterinary medicine and he's going to be down tomorrow for a week and he said he would look at him.

My fingers are crossed that it's something minor as in an ear infection that I can fix without having to go to another VCA clinic.
Old June 21st, 2007, 07:59 PM
Senior Contributor

doesn't sound like a minor ear infection to me AT ALL. it sounds rather serious actually.

what is a VCA clinic? there are no vet offices in your town? near your home? there may be a vet who is willing to be flexible and work out a payment plan for the cost of an exam and treatment.
Old June 21st, 2007, 08:06 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with mummummum et al -it does sound serious and I assume you want your dog to be well. So, he really really needs to see a vet!!!

I can only tell you what I'd do in a similar situation and I have been as a student - not a starving student but one who was on a very tight budget! I would ask any relatives (parents, siblings, etc) for financial help. And I would ask the vet for a payment plan - explain your situation. Many vets are understanding - if not, find one that is. Ask a friend for a loan. Or sell something to someone - pawn something even. If one of my cats were ill and I was without funds, I would be asking my family members or friends for help so fast - and I think I'd go to the vet even without money and promise to pay or barter with her or him.

But please get your dog to a vet or you will regret it later! if it is serious - and it does not sound good buy we are not vets and cannot diagnose something online (Even a vet cold not do that without knowing much more!).

I am certain you love your dog and he really needs medical assistance, the sooner the better. Good luck!
Old June 21st, 2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessi76 View Post
doesn't sound like a minor ear infection to me AT ALL. it sounds rather serious actually.

what is a VCA clinic? there are no vet offices in your town? near your home? there may be a vet who is willing to be flexible and work out a payment plan for the cost of an exam and treatment.
VCA are emergency care places and since it was a Sunday evening when Mister got sick the first time it was my only option. http://vcapets.com/ My local vet won't take payment plans nor does he except credit cards. It's either cash or check. So it's either I have all the cash up front or all they can do is look at him and tell me what is wrong from what they see, and that alone is $45. Given it's a lot cheaper than the VCA clinic, which cost $80 to just see the vet, however the VCA clinic excepts credit card, but right now I don't even have that option.
My parent's live about 2 hours away and they can't be of much help because they told me I shouldn't have taken the dog if I knew he was sick, but I wasn't aware that he was. Heck, I was told he already had his shots and all that stuff when I got him. I didn't find out until two weeks ago that he hadn't had anything, no shots, no worming or anything like that. So when he started pooping blood my first thoughts were Parvo. Hence why I rushed him to the VCA place no questions asked and told them to run whatever test they needed and put it on my credit card. Luckily it was Coccidia and not parvo. However now, I've in another problem because of all that's happening now.
I called the VCA clinic and the lady told me the dry heaving might be a side effect to the antibiotics he's on but as far as the staggering she didn't know what to tell me besides take him to a vet. And when I informed her of my money situation she had no advice for me. Because even they don't take payment plans. She said she was going to call the vet that checked him over and took his tests and stuff the last time I was there and get him to call me but he hasn't yet.
I know when I took him all his blood counts where horribly low and to my knowledge he hasn't pooped anymore blood since starting the medicine. He's an inside dog and goes out on a leash with me so I'm almost positive I didn't miss anything seeing as how I'm always around when he does his business.
Old June 21st, 2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten View Post
I agree with mummummum et al -it does sound serious and I assume you want your dog to be well. So, he really really needs to see a vet!!!

I can only tell you what I'd do in a similar situation and I have been as a student - not a starving student but one who was on a very tight budget! I would ask any relatives (parents, siblings, etc) for financial help. And I would ask the vet for a payment plan - explain your situation. Many vets are understanding - if not, find one that is. Ask a friend for a loan. Or sell something to someone - pawn something even. If one of my cats were ill and I was without funds, I would be asking my family members or friends for help so fast - and I think I'd go to the vet even without money and promise to pay or barter with her or him.

But please get your dog to a vet or you will regret it later! if it is serious - and it does not sound good buy we are not vets and cannot diagnose something online (Even a vet cold not do that without knowing much more!).

I am certain you love your dog and he really needs medical assistance, the sooner the better. Good luck!
Like I said in my last post my family is sort of out of the question. As far as friends well, I just moved to this town a little under two months ago and really don't know anyone. The only people I've really met are co-workers and when word got around that I had that $800 vet bill numerous of them told me I was stupid and I should have just put him to sleep then. People are heartless. Pawning has crossed my mind but the only thing I have worth value is an Ovation Guitar that was left to me by my late uncle and yea I love my dog but I couldn't pawn that without feeling horrible a million times over.
I live on my own, and make probably $200 more a month than I have to spend in bills so money is extremely tight for me. I went to my bank and tried to apply for another credit card but that's going to take awhile before I know if I get it or not. I have great credit so I'm hoping I can. The one credit card I have now has helped me out a lot but this is the first time I've actually had to use it and max it out. I still don't know how I'm going to be able to mange to pay it off on time.
Old June 21st, 2007, 10:47 PM
Doggie Wench

How is your dog doing now?
Old June 21st, 2007, 11:02 PM
Doggie Wench

I found this: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_coccidia.html
and this: http://www.drugs.com/cons/smz-tmp.html

SMZ-TMP is an anti-biotic. I don't understand how this is supposed to help a dog with Coccidia I'm thinking either your dog is having an allergic reaction to the medication (but he's been off it for the past 4 days ?) or he's reacting severely to the Coccidia because it isn't being treated. Is he drinking any water and does he still have diarrhea?

Is there a shelter or rescue in your area? Sometimes they have a vet on staff or know of one who may be able to help out in a situation such as your's. I'm terribly worried about your dog and feel that he should be seen by a vet asap. There's a solution to all problems, including financial...try any/all other vets in your area. Some even have emergency numbers where they can be reached 24 hours. You never know, there may be one who will be sympathetic to your dog's situation.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
Old June 21st, 2007, 11:13 PM
Doggie Wench

Ok, I just found this: http://briandeer.com/septrin/bactrim-effects-10.htm

If you scroll down the page, you will find people whose dogs were badly affected by this medication. The symptoms sound very similar to those your dog is experiencing. I would say that if you are still administering the meds to him, please stop and get him to help asap.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Ok, I just found this: http://briandeer.com/septrin/bactrim-effects-10.htm

If you scroll down the page, you will find people whose dogs were badly affected by this medication. The symptoms sound very similar to those your dog is experiencing. I would say that if you are still administering the meds to him, please stop and get him to help asap.
There are only two other vets in this area, one I wouldn't trust sending my worst enemy to and another the place itself looks rather shifty. But like I said I'm new to the area and even the phone book isn't much help. I've been playing phone tag with bunches of vets in the greater area(30+ miles away) and they keep referring me to places that keep referring me to other places or telling me there is nothing they can do. I actually had one desk lady/nurse tell me, "Yea, well let this be a lesson learned" and hung up on me when I started to explain to her my finical issues. I really don't know how to take that.

To answer some questions referring to his Coccidia, no he doesn't have bloody stool anymore and hasn't since the day after I took him to the vet, Monday, June 11. He is still drinking plenty of water and I made some more of the boiled beef/rice mixture that he was put on when this mess first started and he ate it. I plan on buying some chicken and rice later today

I called the VCA clinic that gave Mister the prescription of SMZ-TMP and told the lady what he was doing and she acted as if nothing was the matter. And then I started bringing up everything I found out from the research I did last night and she got really, I don't know how to put it, um... put on the spotish. There were a lot of "uhs..." and "well..." and "I don't know what to tell you" and when I started stressing the point that my dog is even sicker because of the medicine they gave him she put me on hold and a few minutes later I was hung up on by either a fluke in the system or a person. Today is my last day of work for this week so I'm hoping between the time I get off tonight and this weekend I'll be able to figure out something.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 04:32 PM

I feel as if I sold my soul to the devil. I had posted something about this whole ordeal on my blog and my ex husband responded. He's actually in the process of trying to find a new place to live in the Houston area however he said I live close enough that he would front me his share of the bills before he moved in so I would be able to take Mister to the vet.
I called the vet to make an appointment and the lady told me it wouldn't be needed due to the case and she would fit him in. I get there and the door is locked. So here I am with 30lbs dog in my hands outside and it's raining, I was pissed. So I go back to my car and call them and she says, "oh they're on their break, we'll be open in another 30 minutes." And I informed her I was the same person that had just called her no more than 15 minutes ago about it so finally she let me inside. Long story short he has Distemper. I was faced with the option of either putting him down or attempting a medicine. After about a hour worth of bawling my eyes out not knowing what to do I went for the medicine and amazingly the medicine was only $20 for a weeks worth. I have to give him Clavomax two times a day. The vet gave me his personal cell number and told me if I had any questions or needed anything.
I guess now it's pretty much just a waiting game. I have to make sure he eats and drinks enough and moves as little as possible.
Anyone have any suggestions on what I should feed him?
Old June 22nd, 2007, 04:51 PM

I am so sorry. Unfortunately there is no one 'cure" for distemper, just supportive therapy to help the dog fight it on his own.
Quote:
TREATMENT FOR DISTEMPER: Distemper is such a virulent disease, has so many complications involving the digestive system, the respiratory tract, and the nervous system, that it is hardly a dog sickness for the inexperienced amateur to handle alone. If it is at all possible consult a veterinarian. Distemper is the kind of a dog disease that needs the services of a dog expert, especially in the early stages, when the veterinarian may be able to do a lot of good by the use of a modern, effective serum.

Here are suggestions for the care of a dog when he has contracted distemper:

Install the dog in a part of the house that is warm and quiet, preferably a place you can disinfect and clean thoroughly after the illness.

Feed the dog a variety of foods so he will have strength to fight the disease. For example, tempt the sick animal with raw ground beef, milk, possibly whipped eggs and milk, combination of beef and malt extract, or anything of this sort that he will eat. It is imperative that the animal eat. In some cases owners must force-feed the dog, usually using liquids that the veterinarian recommends. Nursing and feeding are important in treating distemper, almost as much so as medicines in the later stages.

In many cases of distemper there is apt to be a severe nasal discharge, although it is not a constant symptom in every case. When it exists, you may relieve the sick animal by wiping the nose with a soft cloth moistened with a mild antiseptic. Be sure to give attention to the dog's eyes, too. There may be a discharge from them. Bathe the eyes frequently with a warm boracic acid solution.

During the late stages of a severe case, pneumonia may be a further complication. Nervous complications may take the form of convulsions. All of which leads me to repeat what I advised in the early part of the distemper discussion: this is a disease which requires the help of a veterinarian.
Found that info here:http://www.oldandsold.com/articles03/dogs41.shtml
Make sure puppy stays warm and hydrated and good luck!!!
Old June 23rd, 2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SableCollie View Post
I am so sorry. Unfortunately there is no one 'cure" for distemper, just supportive therapy to help the dog fight it on his own. Found that info here:http://www.oldandsold.com/articles03/dogs41.shtml
Make sure puppy stays warm and hydrated and good luck!!!
Thank you, that helps a lot.

The vet that diagnosed it gave me his personal number and told me I could contact him whenever I needed it. Mister has been munching down on chicken broth, boiled beef, and rice. Every time I put it in front of him he laps it up. I picked up some Pedalite however he isn't very fond of it. I figure if he's lapping up the chicken broth he's at least getting some liquids. I keep both bowls full at all times.
I have the support of a few of my co-workers and such which is nice. But I guess it's just the waiting game.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 06:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Good luck with Mister-- for a speedy recovery!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 24th, 2007, 03:02 AM

None of this makes any sense to me. First off, isn't coccidia a protozoa? That is a type of parasite. You do not treat parasitic infections with antibiotics. SMZ is a sulpha-based antibiotic.

I'm glad that you at least have a diagnosis, even if it isn't a good one. I'm kind of wary of that vet, though. I know that we all make mistakes and that a lot of medicine involves guesswork, but I honestly don't know what your vet was thinking if this is how he was treating and diagnosing your poor dog.

Good luck. I wish Mister a speedy recovery.
Old June 24th, 2007, 03:25 AM
-

I am sorry to hear about what you and Mister are going through. :sad: Sending lots of good wishes for a safe and speedy recovery.
Old June 24th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I picked up some Pedalite however he isn't very fond of it.
They have different flavors of Pedialite, as well as unflavored. Perhaps he would like a different kind better? It's very good that he's eating!
Old June 25th, 2007, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterless View Post
None of this makes any sense to me. First off, isn't coccidia a protozoa? That is a type of parasite. You do not treat parasitic infections with antibiotics. SMZ is a sulpha-based antibiotic.

I'm glad that you at least have a diagnosis, even if it isn't a good one. I'm kind of wary of that vet, though. I know that we all make mistakes and that a lot of medicine involves guesswork, but I honestly don't know what your vet was thinking if this is how he was treating and diagnosing your poor dog.

Good luck. I wish Mister a speedy recovery.
I honestly don't know why he was given it either. The vet that gave him the SMZ was at the VCA emergency clinic that I had to take him to two Sundays ago. And the vet that diagnosed him with canine distemper is the local vet.

I'm not really liking either places but I'm trying my best. Sadly good vets aren't easily found around here when you have an actual sick animal.
Old June 25th, 2007, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SableCollie View Post
They have different flavors of Pedialite, as well as unflavored. Perhaps he would like a different kind better? It's very good that he's eating!
I got him the unflavoured because I wasn't sure if the flavoured would mess up his stomach.

Is it safe to give them the flavoured ones? When I kept trying to give it to him I was like "man, it can't taste that bad" and I poured about a shot of it in a glass and drank it and was disgusted. lol
Old June 25th, 2007, 01:21 AM

My bestfriend Kim drove down today to see how I was doing and stuff and took this picture.

I was laying on the floor next to him crying a bit and went to get up to blow my nose when she noticed this.

I don't know if it's just weird coincidence or someone upstairs telling me to hold on to my faith, but either way the picture gave me a boost today.

Name:  Paw.JPG
Views: 164
Size:  32.5 KB
Old June 25th, 2007, 12:34 PM

Maybe it's a sign!

I don't think the flavored ones would hurt him. Just don't use the grape one if it contains real grape juice, since grapes can be toxic to dogs. I'm pretty sure they're all artificially flavored though. I think the other flavors are fruit punch and bubblegum. Too bad they don't make flavors especially for dogs! The stuff has a funky taste, the flavors do help cover it up somewhat.
Old June 25th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW2430 View Post
... When I kept trying to give it to him I was like "man, it can't taste that bad" and I poured about a shot of it in a glass and drank it and was disgusted. lol
We've been successful when mixing it with a bit of homemade chicken broth.
Old June 25th, 2007, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
We've been successful when mixing it with a bit of homemade chicken broth.
He goes to town on some chicken broth. I never thought about mixing the two, I might try that. Thanks.

I have been sleeping next to him on the floor every night in the living room and when I woke up this morning he was in the kitchen. I don't know how he managed to do it but he was next to the sink. Not sure if that's a good sign or a bad sign. But common sense wants to me think it's a good one.