Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old June 17th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Soft poop on Orijen?

A while ago I asked for advice on what to feed my cat Onnie ( thanks everyone!) and decided to go with Orijen. He is doing very well, BUT my new kitten Hazel is not . Very stinky, soft, smelly poo (lighter coloured than Onnie's too). It's not diarreah, but its still soft. I thought it might be just a kitten thing but weve had him for 2 months now and he's about 6months old. I tried changing litter brands to multicat, extra stength, adding arm and hammer to help with the odour...but nothing really helps.

He just got neutered and even the vet commented on his poo when he had a bowel movement there. She reccomended I switch his food to one of their prescription brands and gave me a sample (ummm, no thank you.)

Any ideas? I will have to switch the both of them to the new food. Poor onnie he really likes the Orijen
Old June 17th, 2007, 02:06 PM

You can try a prebiotic like Inulin, just sprinkle on the food, it will absorb the excess water. Not sure how well it will work on kibble, but goes well in tinned food.
Old June 21st, 2007, 01:01 PM

2 months isn't very long - do you know what he was being fed before you got him? I would give it a little more time before you switch because they say it takes awhile to adjust to new food. However, if there is still a problem maybe there is something that is not agreeing with him.
Old July 1st, 2007, 07:29 PM

Try slowly scalling back the amount of food. My cat gets that way when she eats too much for too many days ina row (normally they free feed, but sometimes they get a little over zealous and we have to feed set portions for a few weeks).

Basically, take a dozen kibbles away every day until the poop gets harder (and with hardness, it'll get less stinky!)
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:46 AM
Senior Contributor

My cats like different foods,Rocky and Chico likes and eats Orijen,but Vinnie likes Solid Gold,so they have 2 dishes of dry food,however it's mostly for snacking.Their morning and evening meals are canned food.
I have noticed the poop-smell from the litter-box is a bit smelly though,more than normal and the boxes are in the downstairs bathroom and Rocky has some real stinkers when he"passes wind"(nice way to describe it )
Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:34 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

At first we had some smelly poops for the first few weeks, but then it stopped, perhaps its some sort of detox or something???
None of mine are kittens but all of them had some stinky issues. None were soft.
How long have they been on Orijen? Is it a fresh switch?