Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old June 16th, 2007, 01:18 PM

Preventing UTI's in male cat.

So, I really want to take my male cats off of dry cat food to prevent UTI's. Better for them and all that. But, one of my cats is still craving the dry food, big time, I give him a small tin of cat food in the morning, and one at night, I mash it and add water, he loves it, but he still checks his bowls to find the dry food, and when he doesn't find it there, he's pretty sad. Meowy kinda sad.

So, I've been putting a little of the dry food for them, just not as much as before, and I eventually want to take them off of it all together, however, will he need supplements or something. It's not like it's great food, the one who doesn't want to leave the dry behind only likes eating Friskies.

So I guess I'm at a loss for what to do, I want my babe to be healthy, and I know wet will help him in the long run, but I don't want him to be sad getting there. Is there some treats I can give him to make him a happier guy?

Is there anything else I should avoid giving him? I think I read somwhere not to give tuna?

Any suggestions for my kitties' UTI health would be much appreciated.
Old June 16th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Wet food is definitely the way to go if you want to avoid UTI's. But the really good stuff is sooo expensive. I feed Friskies morning and night, and holistic dry in between. I think the fact kibble is so much denser and more filling (notice how much water there is in the canned) means that your cat might be feeling a little deprived. You could try adding water to his kibble.

I've heard canned is also better for cats who need to lose a few. Tuna is fine, just not every day, I give them Friskies tuna variety about once a week. Also sardines packed in water. Have you tried fresh chicken livers, mine love them to distraction, but I only feed them once in awhile.

Regarding UTI's, I think some cats are more susceptible than others, as long as they are good drinkers, a bit of dry isn't going to kill them.
Old June 16th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with Badger,my cats(3) refuse to eat any other canned than Fancy Feast and I've tried them all ,but they split a small can twice a day...
I also leave a bowl of Orijen dry for them to munch on in between meals and my cats drink a lot of water,I have to change it at least five times a day.
Old June 16th, 2007, 07:24 PM
-

My cats eat the same as Badger's and Chico's. We've never had any UTI's here but they are only 3 and 4 years old so I just keep my fingers crossed.
Old June 16th, 2007, 11:07 PM

Thanks everyone,

I'm going to try adding a little water to their dry, I'm not so worried about Slim, because despite his name, he's a hefty feller. It's just Biff, I want him to get the right nutrition, and I have always noticed him taking less water than Slim ever does in any given day, he's also picky about what he likes to eat. He also seems to be prone to UTI's, he's just recovering very well fom one. I'm going to see if they like the chicken livers.

Basically, I get a good supply of the Merrick's canned, I know it's expensive, but it's like I'm addicted to the petfood store, I just can't help myself, (I am a bit of a shopaholic), I give it two or three times a week,and then on the other feeding times it depednds, sometimes friskies, sometimes fancy feast, it does depend on what we have left in the pantry, lol, sometimes there's more pet food than dry and canned goods for us, which is fine with me, I prefer fresh.

And it's good to know about the tuna too, because they sometimes like the seafood meals, but I had stopped getting them worried. So this is great.

Thanks again all.