Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 30th, 2004, 09:08 PM

After much thought...

Well, after much thought, I have decided that I will not succomb to the bullying of others, and I will continue to post on this board. If you do not agree with the way I keep my animals, please keep your opinions to yourself.
Here is a link to the pictures taken yesterday on another camera(that's battery didn't die on me!!!) of the kittens. They are beginning to open their eyes at 4 days old. Several have one eye and slit of the other open, and one has both eyes open. Is it normal for them to not focus on things right away, or can they see when they first open their eyes? All of them seem to be looking different directions... So I'm guessing this is normal at this stage(Again this is my first litter, so I'm new to this )
Thanks for the help. And..... http://community.webshots.com/album/136471819kmUmFL .....Enjoy!

Last edited by rescuekitty; May 1st, 2004 at 12:20 AM. Reason: mistakes...
Old April 30th, 2004, 10:02 PM

RK they are so sweet. I know absolutely nothing about cats. Sorry. But I'm glad you're still going to hang out here!
Old May 1st, 2004, 12:22 AM

Thanks. I'm glad too. I realized that the board would be much better off if there were people around to stick up for others when some of the bullies come out of the woodwork
Old May 1st, 2004, 07:22 AM

Hi RK

I just adopted a kitten, she is now 7 weeks old. One thing I was lucky enough to watch was the first 6 weeks of her life, it was my neighbours cat and we visited very often.

From what I observed and was told is that it is normal for the kittens not to be able to focus yet. Our kitten still falls over and if you move something to fast in front of her, she doesn't see it

It is amazing to watch these little ones grow up so rapidly. By about week 5 they should be ready to eat soft food and pablum (Sp ?) and also start potty training

Your kittens are absolutely adorable and way to go on saving Angel, all your help in the wee hours of the morn have paid off, she's a cutie
Old May 1st, 2004, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcin
Hi RK

I just adopted a kitten, she is now 7 weeks old. One thing I was lucky enough to watch was the first 6 weeks of her life, it was my neighbours cat and we visited very often.

From what I observed and was told is that it is normal for the kittens not to be able to focus yet. Our kitten still falls over and if you move something to fast in front of her, she doesn't see it

It is amazing to watch these little ones grow up so rapidly. By about week 5 they should be ready to eat soft food and pablum (Sp ?) and also start potty training

Your kittens are absolutely adorable and way to go on saving Angel, all your help in the wee hours of the morn have paid off, she's a cutie
Thanks!!
I'm glad to hear that it's not a problem that they aren't focusing yet. Do they see right away as soon as they open their eyes?
Old May 1st, 2004, 08:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "bullies." Who are they? I hope I'm not one.

You have quite a few pretty kitties there! They are really beutiful cats! Good luck with them.
Old May 1st, 2004, 08:45 PM

No Spoiled you're not one!! Don't even worry about this bs.
Old May 1st, 2004, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "bullies." Who are they? I hope I'm not one.

You have quite a few pretty kitties there! They are really beutiful cats! Good luck with them.
No No, Spoiled, you're not one!!
Those people know who they are, although I'm sure they'll never admit it.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 06:35 AM

Hi RK,

The kittens can see when they first open there eyes...but...they are like human babies, they can't see things that are far away or very close. The nerves in the back of the eye have not completely formed yet...that is why sometimes they are just sitting and all of a sudden will fall over or end up head first in a bowl of water They lose focus Of course not having much balance doesn't help either
Old May 5th, 2004, 09:08 AM

They are gorgeous!!! How are they doing?
Old May 5th, 2004, 09:10 AM

They are doing great! Although Mom Cat moved them last night and I can't find them yet But I'm sure I will. They all have their eyes open now, and are happily romping around a little..!!
Old May 5th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Senior Contributor

OK, good! I was getting a little worried there.