Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 30th, 2004, 06:38 AM
Senior Contributor

This is just WRONG

These people need their head examined.Why would anyone want to do this to a beautiful wild animal is beyond me.

http://www.shadowridge-wolves.com/BreedingPairs.htm
Old April 30th, 2004, 06:54 AM
banned user

Don't get me started on this Its a total power thing to take one of these magnificant creatures. I would prefer to see them wild any day then chained to a house cause their "Too wild".

We had in the papers other day the spring bear hunt is starting and they are gonna nail the hunters that set up feed areas and wait till the bear comes and kills it whoopty do! Then conservation was whining how many orphaned cubs will be left for dead. Now why on earth any person would want to shoot a bear knowing there is a cub???????? People are sooooo cruel!
Old April 30th, 2004, 07:37 AM
Senior Contributor

These people are asking for trouble...I'm wondering if there is anyone I can contact about this?

I was watching a show a while back.It was in England.And how they use the Bloodhounds for hunting.Well what they are now doing is,instead of them hunting for animals,the are hunting people.What I mean is that it's more of a game for them.They get a guy to go in the fields and bushes.Then the bloodhounds are let go.So instead of hunting for animals,they are hunting for this person.No they don't tear up the guy...LOL...But I thought that it was a great idea.This way no animals are involved...I hope this made sense.....LOL
Old April 30th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Where can I sign up?? I know a few guys I'd like to send out to the woods to be "hunted"!!! LMAO
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old April 30th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Senior Contributor

You and me both...LMAO
Old April 30th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Does the word idiot say enough or is it too easy?
Old April 30th, 2004, 01:02 PM

Damn...why do people mess with mother nature like that? We've already got enough pooches in this world that don't have a home plus we've already got enough dogs on the dangerous breeds list...why add more?
Old April 30th, 2004, 01:45 PM

Wow, that's incredible. Just wait for the first lawsuit to happen. Someone's going to buy one of these beasts and eventually it's going to turn and rip them to pieces. And who do you think will get shot after that happens? I saw something a while back about some guy in BC who has an entire pack of wolves. They showed him and his wife out on a frozen lake walking the pack. They all looked pretty friendly and happy, but they just aren't that far removed from being wild animals.
I bet you'd need to use a Halti or gentle leader on them eh? Not exactly the dog you'd take to the local dog park I wouldn't think. Poops must be absolutely massive too!
Old April 30th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

EXACTLY!!

And shelters won't end up taking them obviously they'll be euth'd right away!

BUT WAIT!!! Sue Sternberg can save them LMAOO!
Old April 30th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

This is common place here in the south. Unfortunetly. You only need a license if they are over 73% I believe in Florida. People get them as a novelty and when that wears off the wolves end up with a rescue group. ( I know many) When I worked for that last vet one client had a 95% Timber named Jombie. Jombie was a cutie and I knew him from a cub. The clients refused to have him neutered. When he was almost 6 years old & 160 lbs he nearly tore my arm off while trying to draw a blood sample. I have never had to have stitches in 25 years of working with animals. After that I refused to work with Jombie. He cannot be collared nor leashed, so how is someone going to be able to help him if he becomes ill? He has become to aggressive.
That was 2 years ago. These clients love their animals...they have many wolves and a horse farm in my neighborhood & one in St Criox., but they are lacking in common sense. They are licensed...
Old April 30th, 2004, 03:18 PM

My family ended up with a wolf hybrid by mistake..... He is half Akita, half God-Damned-Dog-Down-the-Road. Okay, let me try to give a proper explanation of how this "mistake" happened before I get the royal chastising.....

My parent's female Akita, now 10, was left intact intentionally, with the breeder's support, to breed her to another Akita when the time came. Yes, she comes from a long line of champions, is show quality (although not shown by choice), OFA hip certified "Good", eyes screen, temperment checked, etc. The breeder selected the male for us to take her to (also champion, OFA, etc). The first male turned out the be sterile so we tried with another male selected by the breeder. This breeding did not take. And then another male selected by the breeder. Also did not take. We were waiting to try to breed her one last time on the next heat. Some breeders were saying she could not get pregnant.

A dog, which we assumed was a husky, husky/cross, started coming over to play were her (being an Akita, she does not normally like other dogs but she liked him). Well turns out when she came into heat, he came over even more often. We called the owners (to no avail) and even called animal control. In fact, he jumped/scaled 6 foot fences to get to her. Well, turns out that the female that could not get pregnant certainly COULD. We were absolutely torn as to what to do! At this point we still intended to breed her later on so we could not do a spay. The vet recommended against aborting since he feared infection may set in rendering her sterile. As such, she ended up having a small litter of which we kept the only male puppy. The others were sold on spay neuter contracts and they were spayed/neutered.

Well, turns out "God-Damn-Dog" was a wolf hybrid. This idiot owner also did not believe in "caging" ie having dog in kennel or behind fence or "tying" his dog, nor neutering it (must be a personality trait that they screen for in prospective owners of these dogs... ). As a result, this dog did not live long since it was killing livestock in the area.

In any event, Koji, neutered at 6 mos by the way, the one we kept, is the absolute sweetest suckiest dog on earth BUT would we have gotten him intentionally? NOT A CHANCE!! We also don't believe in messing with nature and just because we have a sweet hybrid cross does not mean that we are silly enough to believe that people should be intentionally breeding these dogs!

The true irony of the story, however, is that all of the stressing that we went through with our bitch was for naught since we finally decided to spay her instead of having an Akita litter.
Old April 30th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Senior Contributor

A pure wolf living in captivity? Thats insane, and unsafe. These "dogs" are in captivity, torn between their owners that they might like and their instinct in the wild. They can easily become agressive. The wolf crosses are even worse. I can not believe that someone would do that to a dog. It is just plain cruelty, dangorous, and unsafe.
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:45 PM

I must have missed this post...Being FirstNations myself the wolf needs to be left in the wild and not behind a chain linked fence, someones pet or bred with our domestic friends. What these people dont understand is these animals can not be tamed like our domestic fur friends,We all have to remember that when these animals attack for what ever reason they go for the throat.
If anyone ownes one of these animals and hasn't had a bad incident with one yet than they are just lucky and are just fooling themselves.

Just my 2 cents worth
Old May 4th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Senior Contributor

why do humans have to own nature? isnt it enough to be part of it than having to force it to live in ones back yard, humans are just too weird for this little duck. sheesh, just makes me dang furious. i met a man once who claimed to have a pure dingo, he said it could jump any fence around. i asked what he does to keep it from roaming in the urban streets. well the big man said " i lock it in the shed". yep he kept it locked in his little dark shed all day, a shed that was next to a dam so got alot of snakes, this poor dog used to have to kill the snakes as they came in, big man used to boast of the dogs dangerous kills. just sucked. ahhhh, humans what ever will we do with them?????
Old May 4th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerclan
I must have missed this post...Being FirstNations myself the wolf needs to be left in the wild and not behind a chain linked fence, someones pet or bred with our domestic friends. What these people dont understand is these animals can not be tamed like our domestic fur friends,We all have to remember that when these animals attack for what ever reason they go for the throat.
If anyone ownes one of these animals and hasn't had a bad incident with one yet than they are just lucky and are just fooling themselves.

Just my 2 cents worth
I cannot agree more. I have only had contact with wolves and hybreds due to the work situation.
I will also add as a teenager, through my high school years I had a "pet" Ocelot, Fesha, before wildlife regulations were passed by my state. This was back in the early '70's. I had Fesha for almost 4 years but she became to hard to handle and I had to donate her to Gator Jungle zoo in Christmas, Florida.(no joke, there is a town by this name) I knew the owners and she lived out her life in a better atmosphere suited to her needs better than what I could offer in an apartment. She was becoming very aggresive.
I saw her at every oppertunity and could take her for private walks on the grounds on off hours.
I was very stupid back then, I had no idea Ocelots would become endangered. She was given to me by a friend who increased his household with Leopards that did not get along with the Ocelots.
I miss Fesha and treasure my time with her..I am also more mature now and will fight to keep these critters where they belong...every animal ..every species is a link..if these links become weak and dissappear this harms all of humanity..every link has its place..like the Florida Panther and Northern Ocelot to name a few..unfortunitly with over population we are taking over these animals natural habitat's...1200 people a day are moving to my state!
We stack them in condos now because the building of house's is out of control! Manatee's, Panther's and others....makes me so sick..
I'm getting riled again..must quit.
Old May 4th, 2004, 07:18 PM
banned user

Deer whats your tribe? I have incredible crushes on older native people both male and female.

Ever watch North of 60? I love old Joe and Albert. Oh yes and Etsu (TV's Gramma)

I'm fascinated with the old culture..I read alot about it.

There is a great book called "The Spirit Song" Love it!