Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old April 29th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I really need to vent

My dog has started biting this little kid. This one is kind of anoying, because of always trying to get Bentley's attention. How can I stop this habbit? Bentley has been agressive towards little kids before, but I think its mostley because he doesn't know what they are. Once they settle down and actualy pet him, he's fine with them. Its just that when they are jumping up and down, and don't get the message when he nips and snaps at them the first time, and then they ask to hold him I get a little more than a tiny bit ticked off. And he was perfectly fine with this one before the kid decided that Bentley would like to be dragged around on a shoe lace!

I just need to vent, but any answers or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old April 29th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
And he was perfectly fine with this one before the kid decided that Bentley would like to be dragged around on a shoe lace!
How and where did that happen?

Since Bentley is not used to kids, I would keep him away from them for now. You mustn't let any kids hurt or drag him around, or he will rightfully feel he has to defend himself.
Old April 29th, 2004, 08:34 PM

Angry Bentley and the shoe lace kid.

First thing I would do would be to kick the kid in theA$$.
What is with letting Bently be dragged around on a shoe lace???
Try dragging me on a shoe lace and see how fast I bite you.
Dogs are not made to or should not be required to put up with what ever some people think is fun or cute.
And where are the parents of this little monster?
I don't know why you are concerned -I would just keep the kid away from Bently and if that meant keeping the kid out of the house - double yeaaaa.
As you said Bently was fine until someone let him be dragged around on a shoe lace.
Ill behaved children and children in general are a burr under my butt anyway.....
Rant - rant - grumble -snort fire....
Old April 29th, 2004, 08:57 PM

I have to agree with LuckyRescue by keeping Bently away from this child.
I would also be telling this childs parents that you dont like how this child is treating your dog and to control their child.
Old April 29th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, when Bentley was little, we didn't have a leash when we brought him home and so we made a shoelace into one by tying a snap onto the other end. Of course we don't use it now. Oh well, thanks for the advice. I really just needed to get it out. And I'll tell the parents.
Old April 30th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Senior Contributor

OK, this takes the cake!

A person I know just got a dog latley. The dog is now about 3 months old. This gang of little kids (4-9 years of age) decided they would beat him up through the fence, so one grabbed his collar and was probably choking him while he did it as it was through a chain link fence, and another leaned over the fence and started beating on the dog with a stick!!!

This has never happened before to me (although there was an incident with a noose being lowered over the fence to catch Bentley with) but it makes me soooo mad.

And another reason to be even madder is that the poor puppy will probably be mentaly scared for life and be afraid of little kids from now on - I certainly would be!
Old April 30th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Senior Contributor

May I ask where the owners where?.Did you go over?
Old April 30th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Senior Contributor

I didn't see it happen, but the owners probably let him out for a quick pee or something, and the kids were there and he started barking at them. The owner came out right away and really gave it to them.
Old April 30th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor puppy.The owners should not have let the poor pup out alone.This is why it is very important to keep an eye on your dog.To many nutbars out there.

I dare someone to try that with my boys.LOL
Old April 30th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm not sure if they did leave the puppy out alone. The owner must have come pretty soon or else I'm not sure how much longer the pup could have taken it Sombody would be off to the hospital pretty soon if they tried it with your dogs, Mona!
Old April 30th, 2004, 08:23 PM
banned user

OMG!!!! the nerve of some peoples kid!!!!!!! If i ever found out my kid was doing that I would do a super flip out on her! Someone should tell their parents what they are doing?

As for the child spoiled you will have to keep him away or muzzle poor Bentley when he is around There is no if and's but's or maybe's when it comes to dog bite. They bite and your in big trouble so is poor puppy
Old April 30th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Sometimes you just have to take matters into your hands!!

WATER HOSE the kid!! LOL
Old May 1st, 2004, 03:25 AM

Thumbs up Kids can be mean buggers

Quote=As for the child spoiled you will have to keep him away or muzzle poor Bentley when he is around

Muzzle Bentley ?? How about slapping the little crumb cruncher in irons and keel hauling his ill behaved butt.???

I had a friend years ago who had their first child and he was a holly terror. He would slap them in the face and announce he wanted to do this or that or go home and they would do it.
He went after a pet skunk I had living with me and when I told him to quit it (in the absence of any dicipline on their part) I was informed speaking to him in that tone would damage his self esteem. I told them if he wasn't brought under immediate control he would find himself in a dog crate. They got offended and took the little critter home (to protect him I am sure). I never had them under my roof again and the kid grew up to be a woman beater. He is now incarcerated. They should have let me handle it when he was small.LOL
Old May 1st, 2004, 07:17 AM
banned user

OMG!!!! thats insane!!!!!

Oh there are a few kids that need disapline disperately!!!! But unfortunately if Bentley did bite the pound doesn't care. It's the dog who is taken away.

We had a story here few years back. A girl got out a cab and didn't want to pay...she bolted and tried to climb a 6 ft fence..when over she was met by 2 rottie's who proceeded to chew her butt off. You know the dogs were taken away. One had just given birth.... The girl cried on TV how bad these dogs were....course she was inocent The public was so outraged the fellow got his dogs back. Oh here's another one for you...did you know if someone breaks into your house and the dog bites them....you can be charged and your dog put to sleep? Now is that not just insane??????
Old May 1st, 2004, 08:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Oh here's another one for you...did you know if someone breaks into your house and the dog bites them....you can be charged and your dog put to sleep?
It's beyond insane! I doubt that anyone breaking into your home in the middle of the night has good intentions, but they must not be harmed in their mission to kill/rob you!
Old May 1st, 2004, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaruq
Oh here's another one for you...did you know if someone breaks into your house and the dog bites them....you can be charged and your dog put to sleep? Now is that not just insane??????
Actually you can't be charged if your dog is on your property... what can happen though is you can be sued... it a liability thing, not a law. Depending on the circumstance you can be forced to put the dog down though... your property or not.

I think this may change by area... because here I know all to well how it works... My 3 yr old Mastiff cross snapped one day and went right through the door at a little girl who rang the door bell... we never knew what got into him... this was the dog that was too friendly, well socialized and would bowl you over with is insesant tail wagging. Luckily the girl was not badly hurt, but did require stitches.

The area here (Clarington) requires 10 day quarintine, they don't require you to put the dog down, but the dog will have to be muzzled and on a leash whenever our of your fenced yard or house for the rest of it's life. I didn't think that was fair to him as he was a very active dog that loved his off leash runs on the beach and in the wood trails near here, and after the attack we noticed a big difference in his attitude toward stangers (I think there is truth to the taste of blood theroy) so we did have him put down... it was horrible... so Please, do everything in your power to not allow this child around your dog and try to socialize your dogs to children.
Old May 1st, 2004, 09:05 AM

Thumbs up

Totally agree Woodbyter!!
Old May 1st, 2004, 09:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Wow, what awlful stories! Well, I guess that I'll be keeping Bentley away from the kid, but even if I put him outside, the kid wants to go out, if he's inside then kid is inside, if he's in his kennel, fingers could get poked through, if he's on a walk, he's fine, but I can't take him for a walk every time. If I take him up to a different room, the kid will follow and try to play with him, if I kennel him in my room, they question where he is.

Grrrrrrrr!!!
Old May 1st, 2004, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled
Wow, what awlful stories! Well, I guess that I'll be keeping Bentley away from the kid, but even if I put him outside, the kid wants to go out, if he's inside then kid is inside, if he's in his kennel, fingers could get poked through, if he's on a walk, he's fine, but I can't take him for a walk every time. If I take him up to a different room, the kid will follow and try to play with him, if I kennel him in my room, they question where he is.

Grrrrrrrr!!!

Wait a minute... who is this kid??? The kid goes in your home?
Old May 1st, 2004, 10:00 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

True MBRA! We've had discussions on here about liability previously. Including that some insurance companies are not providing home owners insurance to those with specific breeds. You would think, they'd get a discount instead

Spoiled, what roll has your parents played in all of this? How are they dealing with the situation?
Old May 1st, 2004, 10:01 AM
Senior Contributor

(quote) Muzzle Bentley ?? How about slapping the little crumb cruncher in irons and keel hauling his ill behaved butt.???

LMAO woodbyter!!! Your choice of words make me giggle!! I'm going to start calling my students crumb crunchers!!!! LMAO

P.S How the heck does the quote thingy work?? LOL
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old May 1st, 2004, 04:55 PM
Senior Contributor

It is a friend, I guess.

Catt, I think you highlight the letters you want to quote, and then press the quote button at the top of the screen.
Old May 4th, 2004, 06:35 PM

Ugh...I hate that. People wonder why I prefer animals to humans. To think of all the animals that are caged, when sometimes it is the kids and their parents who need to be caged themselves.
Old May 4th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Exactly!
Old May 5th, 2004, 04:12 AM

The Local laws prevail

The state you live in will govern the venue for legal action.
I believe I remember a case in California a couple of years ago when a gentleman shot a car thief with a bow and arrow from his apartment window...No charges were filed and deadly force is allowed in some areas to protect your property.
In Kentucky if you shoot some weirdo breaking into your house and the smuck has the good fortune to fall back outsie the physical footprint of the house-you better haul his bullet riddled butt back inside if you want to enhance your legal defense. You would be surprised at the high number of thieves who have the defense's good fortune to die inside a house (usually just inside a window or door) in the state of Kentucky. Especially those who break into lawyers and law enforcement officers homes.
Some localities you can legally use deadly force to protect yourself and in some place you can't, even if you feel your life is in danger.
Personally I am an ex law enforcement officer and still carry a licensed concealed weapon. I think more people should (OK all your "peacenics" line up and give me "what for") but when some drug crazed social misfit shoves a gun in your face and demands money and valuables or he will shoot you and/or your wife - then come talk to me about it.....
In some areas you can be charged criminally if your animal bites a person on your property, it is not always litigated as a civil case. Breed specific and endangered species violations can overlay an otherwise civil violation and add criminal charges on top.
Old May 5th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Senior Contributor

A friend of mine,a new grandmother,was told by her daughter not to ever use the word NO to Wesley her grandchild,apparently any negative wibes in her opinion damages children.I think this little boy is in for big surprises when he gets older.Our world is filled with NO's
Old May 5th, 2004, 09:45 PM

Daughter and the word "NO"

I'd say that daughter is a few bricks short of a full load.
Old May 5th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

NO!

i had to type more, it wouldn't let me get away with that LOL
Old May 6th, 2004, 07:23 AM
Senior Contributor

It's the new-fangled and politically correct way to bring up sanitized children.
Other words on the no-no list,are dumb,fat,stupid,choclate,cookies etc...
Unfortunately reality will hit this little boy once he steps out into the real world
Having brought up 3 boys,relatively well adjusted even though they got the odd slap on the bum,instilling in them respect for others,including animals was always my goal and on that point I think I succeeded.
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Try being a teacher in this politically "correct" world of raising "well adjusted well mannered children!!" Don't even get me started!! HA!!! The kids now a days are SOOOOOO disrespectful and they GET AWAY WITH IT!!!! Certainly not by me, but Alberta Education (grande ol' gov't!!!) has mandated that we CANNOT fail a kid, so they grow up to realize that even if they put in a half ass job, they will still pass.....WAIT till the REAL world kicks in kiddo!!! Sooo many kids are growing up to be big SUCKS because mommy and daddy don't say no or don't want them to fail or lose at a game...well unfortunately that is not the real world.... In university they told us not to play games like dodge ball or duck duck goose where kids get eliminated out of the game, its not good for their self esteem!! What a load of CRAP!!!!!!!!!! Those kids are going to get their asses kicked in jr. high or sr. high!!!! All thanks to the coddling of mommy and daddy!!! GRRRRRRRRRR And they are too busy to support the school and the teacher...half of them don't know what is going on at school, or don't even really care!!! It's sad!!

We cannot suggest to parents that your child needs help (ie. meds or counselling or whatever), yet we are being asked to be the parent many children don't have. I have NO problem with that, but they need to give us a bit more slack...we ARE professionals and can tell when a kid needs to be held back or needs extra help!! What is wrong with the world today???? It is scary, and that is the reason I personally do not want kids!!! I love to work with them, but I love that I can send them home at 3:00!!!

(I had a rough day yesterday with my students....can ya tell???? I work in a high needs school, lots of immigrants, and lower income students, so there are always tons of issues to deal with!! I'm surprised I get ANY teaching done, with all the mediation and counselling I do during the day!! )

Anyways, that is my vent for the week!! Sorry!!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)