Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old April 29th, 2004, 04:47 AM

food agression.

Kash has been doing very well with her on lead agression in fact it is nearly non existence but now she is beginning to be agressive over food and or me.

This was the situation. Me, kash, tazz and a freind and his two dogs griff and merlin had been for a four and a half hour wander through the countryside and gone back to his house for some dinner anyway kash and merlin had been getting on fine until i gave her a treat and one for all the other dogs too - anyway merl came up to me whilst kasha was in front of me but kash lost it and went for merlin - i got her by her collar she was really going for him and wasnt going to stop and said no very firmly and put her in a room on her own for a time out. After a while i let her back in and she was fine but it really shook me up. I thought it might have been because she was tired from such a long walk.

The second time this has happened i had gone for a walk with my freinds and their two dogs synner and benny I used to live with synner's owner when i first had tazz so they are inseperable when they are out togather .syn really hepled tazz when he was so poorly and sad when i got him he even used to leave food in his bowl for tazz. Syn and benny are used to having a bouncy little puppy around but arent really interested but dont mind her chasing them and being silly. The all ran over to a bit of the near where we were standing and wetre sniffing around ( probably a bit of meat that some peopoe throw out from there back gardens grrrrrrrrrr, ive seen spare rib bones before!!) Anyway we called them to come back and benny ran to get whatever was on the floor and kash just went for him like she thought it was hers even though we were calling them all back. It was a situation that we ahd to break up again - she was not going to stop. well now i dont know what to do how do i break this cycle i really dont want a muzzled dog or an agressive dog of any kind - i thought i had been doing everything right taking her to training and doing everything i can. The strange thing is she ahs never been agressive to tazzer over food in anyway in fact she will let tazz take a chew from her and just trot off to find another one...

This has got me worried as it has happened more than twice im quite stuck as to what to do i dont want to go to training with a puppy who could snap and go for one of the smaller dogs over food...i know this sounds really bad and that im irresponsible but ive never had experience with an agressive pup any thoughts are welcome.
Old April 29th, 2004, 09:02 AM
banned user

Oh man Liz's is really food aggressive. I don't feed anyone around her. Nice puppy turns into monster puppy really quick.
Old April 29th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

What I would suggest is seeing that food is such a big deal for her, use it as a training tool.

When you have other dogs around and you are going to feed or give them a treat make sure you give them commands to do first (should do that anyway)

AND put her on a lead before you do this, give a command to sit and put in a down stay. Give treats to the others FIRST then do something like toss a ball to get them out of your face for a bit.

Then turn to her and fuss her up, telling what good girl she is and give a really special yummie treat for being so patient.

May take you awhile to work on this but I think the more control and attention you have over her with food like this will be helpful. At first you're going to have to keep on lead while you practice this but you can gradually start to feel if you can try her off lead with this manner.

However, when feeding time comes I would just feed in a different area from the other dogs.
Old April 29th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Dogs are not really into sharing, especially anything of "high value" like treats, meat, bones,etc. It's survival of the fittest, and our dogs have all their instincts intact.

The safest thing is not to feed them together. Keep other dog's away from your pup's food.

My dog is wonderful with my cats, very gentle and respectful of them, BUT when she is eating I make sure the cats do not go near her. I don't see this as a problem - just the way it is!

If she only acts this way over certain food items, you shouldn't have any problem with her in obedience school.
Old April 29th, 2004, 10:46 AM

thank you for your help.

i do still take her to training i just worry about an incident like this happening there.

I do make her work for her treats and will make sure others are not near her at the time - you guys are really good - im no expert in dog training so sometimes i just get a bit worried that im causing problems because i dont understand enough - Im sure i'll be learning for a long time!