Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old May 21st, 2007, 01:43 AM

Just realized my cat ate recalled food, what should I do?

Hi all, I've gone through the threads about the recall, but I can't seem to find information about what to do.

When the pet foods were originally recalled, we checked everything that we feed our cats, even treats, and none were included in the recall. But tonight my father gave me an article talking about the recall, and to my surprise Hills Prescription Diet m/d was included. In February of this year, I got this food from my vet for my cat. After feeding her the 4lb bag, I switched away from it to a normal light food. Now besides freaking at the fact that at this price I would have expected more, but on top of it, shouldn't my vet have taken the time to check in her computer and advise people to whom she sold the food?!?!?!?!?!?!?

What do I do now though? My cat hasn't been acting any differently, and there is no indication that she's sick, but should I worry and get her checked out? The worst part is that I actually asked the vet for a diet food because I thought she was gaining too quickly and wanted to PREVENT problems, but instead I ended up feeding my cat melamine... :sad:
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:28 AM
Senior Contributor

A case of bad luck, I'm afraid. Probably the vet doesn't keep records of who bought what.
I'd keep an eye on your cat. If you're really worried, a blood test would rule out kidney damage, which is where any symptoms seem to start.
In general, except for a few special diets (but not weight-loss food), vet food is pretty poor quality. You're better off buying the holistic brands (innova, felidae, orijen, etc.) - some of them have low-fat formulas.
Old May 21st, 2007, 05:34 AM

You might want to call the Vet that sold you the food and ask if they had any of the affected products. It could be that the bag you bought did not have the same date codes that were contaminated.

I buy my dog's Euk F/P from my Vet (it wasn't affected) and my Vet keeps track of all my purchases on her computer and in my dogs' file. Maybe yours does the same???

It might be worth it to have the blood test done, just to make sure!

Good luck

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old May 21st, 2007, 10:58 AM

First, have a read here:
http://www.animalwellnessmagazine.com/art/aV93_62.htm
Quote:
A blood test and urinalysis can assess kidney damage whatever its cause, explains veterinarian Dr. Jean Hofve, a nutritional expert and former advisor to the American Animal Feed Control Officials (AAFCO). A few veterinarians tested all their patients who were eating the recalled foods, whether or not they were sick. All of them even those who seemed perfectly normal had signs of kidney damage on the tests.
If you still have the package, check the lot number & Best Before Date and compare to the recalled lots here:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/petfoodrecall/

If it were me, I'd be on the Vet's doorstep tomorow. I would speak with the Vet, NOT the staff/techs. I would ask lots of questions. I would also insist that blood & urinalysis testing be done AND depending on what kind of answers the Vet had given, I might insist that those tests be done at no charge to me.

If the answers you receive leave ANY DOUBT in your mind, then I believe you should INSIST on the testing. (Make sure that you get printed copies of the test results for your own records.)

I take it that there is more than one cat in your house and that the Hills was intended for just one cat. If there is ANY CHANCE that the other cat(s) also ate that food, then I suggest you include all the cats in whatever decision you make about the no-charge testing.

If you know that any of the cats have had kidney damage, then you will be in a better position to ensure they have the best chance for a full healthy life. Additionally, proper care now will ensure that you are not facing heavy Vet bills down the road.

I'd also suggest that you keep on top of news about pet foods. These recalls have been ONGOING since the first announcement in mid-March, the latest coming out last week. Thanks to the ineptitude/ignorance/whatever of the Canadian media, most people are unaware of the true scope of the problem.

This site provides DAILY coverage of the issue, and also offers free email alerts when foods are recalled: http://www.itchmo.com/
There are also forums there with much more informed discussion than I personally find here at Pets.ca

Last edited by RUSTYcat; May 21st, 2007 at 12:26 PM. Reason: emphasis
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:47 AM

Thanks for your replies. I called Hills today and they confirmed that the food I bought was affected. They're sending me the documents and tomorrow morning I'll call my vet to get my cat tested. I don't understand that my vet didn't take the time to call the people to whom she sold the product to. The day I bought that I was bringing her in for a checkup, so it's included in the bill that's in her file with the vet, it wasn't just a walk-in purchase. I guess the one relief is that she only ate one 4lb bag, it wasn't a long-term diet. I'll keep my fingers crossed

As for the other cat, he lives with my brother, so he wouldn't have eaten her food.
Old May 26th, 2007, 10:50 AM

Please let us know the results of your tests. My fingers are crossed for you. I can just imagine what worry you must be feeling right now. I have 2 cats and would be sick to my stomach to go through what you are. I'm sure everything will be fine..especially if your cat isn't showing any symptoms. I can understand your frustration with the vet. I totally agree that they should have checked ALL food sale records and been in touch with the clients to let them know. They hold a responsibility by selling the food and it's hard to imagine that their computer system wouldn't keep records of sales by category. Also, they should be administering these test for free to those affected by the food they sold. They can claim the expense directly with the manufacturer. Good luck and please let us know the results!
Take care.
Old May 28th, 2007, 08:15 PM
<-- Rayne

God hun, I'm sorry to hear that your cat had contaminated food. I agree with you that your vet should have been on top of that. I truly hope and pray that your little kitty will be okay. If she hasn't shown signs of illness from the product then maybe she only had a small bit but really monitor her before & after she goes to the vet. Poor you You're kitty will be okay, try not to worry yourself too much until you get everything checked out with the vet. Get some rest