Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old April 28th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Green Acres Green Acres is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6
Lucky Rescue you just won yourself an open invitation to our barn. We don't have any animals, small that is, that aren't fixed. My neighbors and I have more problems with irresponsible city cat owners not spaying their cats and dumping them in trashbags out on our country roads than we do with our own cats. As the cities are all to quickly moving into our country areas we also have a huge problem with greenhorns (city folks) moving out here thinking that if you own any kind of acreage you can have all the animals you want and just let them run wild...dogs and cats both. The cats that are dumped make me want to throttle the owners for their cruelty...and the dogs that are abandoned out here saddens me even more so as often times they are eventually shot for attacking livestock as they try to survive out here on their own....just a real tragedy for them all one way or another. I personally hate seeing what the term "barn cat" has now been transposed into meaning. The "barn cats" you are talking about are more than likely NOT actual barn cats. Also we've got 2 cats in their teens and as I don't think we are unique I have to wonder at how someone in here determined that a "barn cat" had a life expectancy of around 5 years/that doesn't seem to be the norm for us. "Barn cat" has become somewhat a cliche' these days I guess and is probably 90% of the time used improperly. Seems most times when I see an ad for someone giving out free kittens they call them "Free Barn Cats" as I'm guessing they are under the misconception that somehow a barn cat requires less attention and care than a normal cat...which of course is just bull. We don't have any "fad" barn cats....our cats ARE barn cats.

The problem we have today with there being an overflux and hence need to put down so many dogs and cats each year isn't because of city people, and it isn't because of us ranchers either, what it IS is a direct result from irresponsible pet owners and there are no geographical boundries to where they happen to live/they can be found everywhere. Most times when we've had visitors they tend to comment on how our animals live better than most people do/they want to come live with us.....LOL.....so lets not generalize and unfairly descriminate against barn cats huh?
  #62  
Old April 28th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Pitcin Pitcin is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10
"if 87 cats and dogs rescued and adopted out since last August means anything"

I think that is fantastic! If you have rescued and adopted out 87 dogs and cats from neglect, abandonment or malnurishment, if you have rescued dogs and cats from homes such as rescuekitties I feel bad for the owners.

I had a kitten once that was not litter trained. I phoned the vet, shelters, anyone I could, to seek advise on how to train him. I made one fatal call to an animal rescue group. I did not know it was a rescue group because they hid under a legit name. The woman I dealt with was ready to come and take my cat home...to put in her garage...until it learned to use the litter. I refused. I had to threaten this woman with harrasement before she left me alone, she was accusing me of all sorts of awful things. My cat, bless his heart, lived to be 8 years old, and passed on 2 months ago due to heart disease, to the day he died he still had accidents. I could have had him put to sleep because he was a "dirty cat", I could have sent him to live in a garage with a crazed woman, but no, I loved him and tolerated his shortcoming in life.

This little story is only menat to represent some of the rescuers bad judgment. Had I handed my cat over, what would his fait have been? I can only assume that he would have lived out his days in a cold garage punished, by a so called animal lover, for his shortcoming.
  #63  
Old April 28th, 2004, 11:06 AM
MBRA518 MBRA518 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Blackstock, Ontario
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b
We are not talking about working farm/ranch dogs.
Yes,if a pup is raised ONLY outdoors,then it will not be to happy being indoors.BUT,they can slowly be brought indoors.She kept this dog outside from the age of 3 months.And it is now 10 years old.
Buy why would you want to slowly bring the dog in if it was happy outside??? your are referring to what YOU want... not the dog - there is a big difference there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b
As for the comment about going to a shelter.A shelter will NOT let you adopt out an animal,especially if it's a dog that will live outside 24/7....So no,they will not be happy to adopt out to rescuekitty.And that I have seen being done at the shelter.A few people tried to adopt.But when they said the dog was going to live outside,they were denied the adoption.

And I would rather have my dogs alone in the house,then alone outside.
Not all shelters are the same... the ones I helped in (all SPCA) did not have that rule... however that was not my comment... my comment was that the dog would be happier with a loving outdoor home. Many of those dogs in shelters everywhere are distroyed every year just because no home can be found and there is not enough space to keep them all - I would personally rather see those dogs go to loving, responsible outdoor homes.

I agree a dog on a short chain 24/7 is cruel... but I don't think it cruel to be on a chain for short periods of time (my mom's dog is because she would not respect the collar fence and she lives near a busy highway), nor to I think it cruel for them to be outside 24/6 loose - be it on a farm or in a good sized contained area (only to be kept from harm). JMO you are welcome to yours... but I think it is wrong to berate a loving animal owner because her views are not yours.
  #64  
Old April 28th, 2004, 11:59 AM
bluequeen bluequeen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
And the barn cats I've seen were anything but "healthy and happy". They were ridden with parasites, having one litter after another, malnourished, injured from fights and all intact. We have trapped, neutered and treated MANY of them.
Like MRBA518 said obviously if you are working to rescue animals then obviously you are going to see the bad cases. I have ridden for 10+ years and seen my fair share of barn cats..and not one of them was how you described it. They were taken care of as family members, fixed, vaccinations..the whole shibang. And as for your other comment about what dogs 'like' regardless it is QUITE POSSIBLE that they choose to be outside. Maybe your animals don't but some do, and on a farm with lots of room to play around..why not? You raise your animals however the heck you want to and rescuekitty will do the same. She is not doing anything wrong so I don't see why you won't just drop it!!

And Mona_b obviously you didn't read her post properly..her dog is not alone outside, he has the other animals to play with as well as her and her family. And why would you rather keep a dog all cooped up in a house by himself when he can be outside playing around..May as well just stick him in a cage if you're going to do that all day.
  #65  
Old April 28th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Luba's Avatar
Luba Luba is offline
Sadie's Chefomatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 7,303
I've been gut busting laughing at all the 'new members' who just so happen to show up to support rescue kitty.

Coincidental? Probably not!

Now one of you made reference as to whether or not I ever had non domesticated animals. And as a matter of fact I spent my summers in the countryside of Nova Scotia with chickens, annoying roosters lol, cows, horses, ducks, a couple of goats and even a few pigs to boot.

I should think I know the difference.

Domestication vs non domestication

I can see the difference
can you see the difference?
__________________
Cats only have nine lives because they stole them from dogs!Teehee
  #66  
Old April 28th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Lucky Rescue Lucky Rescue is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 10,287
Quote:
I've been gut busting laughing at all the 'new members' who just so happen to show up to support rescue kitty.


They must also all live in Utopia if all the barn cats are spayed and neutered, healthy and happy! That would be funny if the reality weren't so sad.
  #67  
Old April 28th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Pitcin Pitcin is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10
"I've been gut busting laughing at all the 'new members' who just so happen to show up to support rescue kitty."


Gotta' start somewhere...why not support a friend.
  #68  
Old April 28th, 2004, 12:39 PM
MBRA518 MBRA518 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Blackstock, Ontario
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luba
I've been gut busting laughing at all the 'new members' who just so happen to show up to support rescue kitty.

Coincidental? Probably not!

Now one of you made reference as to whether or not I ever had non domesticated animals. And as a matter of fact I spent my summers in the countryside of Nova Scotia with chickens, annoying roosters lol, cows, horses, ducks, a couple of goats and even a few pigs to boot.

I should think I know the difference.

Domestication vs non domestication

I can see the difference
can you see the difference?
Well no not much of a coincidence... we all "know" RK from the horses... but that doesn't change my views. I still think that the majority of the posts here to RK were rude, nasty, ignorant and mostly misinformed. I only hope that is not a direct reflection on the people behind the internet handle - but you never know.

That was me mentioning what you consider non domesticated animals... most of which you mentioned were raised for food animals - that's a whole different ball park... I'm referring to large pet animals... ie horses, or anything else you choose to keep as a pet. And if your only experience is having "spend a few summers on a farm" then no - you don't "get it". A horse or pet goat is much different from animals raised on a farm for meat, milk, wool... etc - those animals and their purpose force the owners to not have a close pet relationship with them. Relationships with animals such as horses are as close if not closer than those with dogs and cats - having owned and cared for all of these animals all my life I think I may be in a better position than yourself to "know the difference."
  #69  
Old April 28th, 2004, 12:45 PM
MBRA518 MBRA518 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Blackstock, Ontario
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue


They must also all live in Utopia if all the barn cats are spayed and neutered, healthy and happy! That would be funny if the reality weren't so sad.
Like i said Lucky - your experience is not exactly representative. The large stable next to me is owned by a person heavy into cat rescue, she has about 8 happy outdoor barn cats... as well as a barn full (contained for their protection) of feral cats that were rescued from an industrial area - none accept human contact - and therefore could not be found homes, all are well fed and provided for and will be for the rest of their days - to me that is better than distroying them - which is what would happen at a shelter.
  #70  
Old April 28th, 2004, 01:03 PM
mona_b's Avatar
mona_b mona_b is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hamilton Ont
Posts: 4,620
Hello,I think I know the difference.My aunts cows,chickens,horses and dogs were not raised for meals.They were VERY loved and taken care of.And 2 of my cousins were in 4H at the time.

You people all think these dog/cats have a voice and they tell you they love to be outside 24/7.

Why would I want to slowly bring a dog that was rescued indoors if it was raised outdoors?Because that is me.And I want the dog to be a part of my "pack"..Which is the family.Sorry but there is no difference there...Happy outside?yeah like they really are.That's all they know is to be outside day in and day out.Sorry,there is no difference there.

I tell you,if you tried to adopt a dog here at the shelter/SPCA...YOU will not get that dog if you plan on keeping it outside.They are against it.
__________________
"A dog can express more with his tail in minutes than his owner can express with his tongue in hours."
  #71  
Old April 28th, 2004, 01:07 PM
bluequeen bluequeen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 50
Luba, I don't know how you are with your friends but we stick up for ours..and like MRBA518 said it doesn't change our views on how we feel. With alot of us being horseback riders we see outside animals ALL the TIME!! Not specifically cats and dogs just animals..what are we all cruel for that??

LuckyRescue, I don't think anybody said ALL barn cats were spayed and neutered obviously I am sure there are quite a few who are not..but in our experiences they are and they are also well taken care off..Just because we take care of our animals different then apparently all of you doesn't mean we're stuck in some utopia on how we view the real world..I think both of you need to get off your high horse and maybe give a little bit more respect to someone JUST because they don't do EXACTLY what you do!

Mona_B I'd really like to know when you started speaking to all dogs and cats of this world..Unfortunately unless you are a pet psychic you have no idea what they like and dislike..and like humans all dogs/cats, or whatever type of animals..are different
  #72  
Old April 28th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Pitcin Pitcin is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10
[B]You people all think these dog/cats have a voice and they tell you they love to be outside 24/7.

Ummmmmm???? And the dogs/cats have a voice and they tell us they want in???

And I want the dog to be a part of my "pack"..Which is the family.

B-I-N-G-O "I WANT"

Happy outside?yeah like they really are

Did they "tell" you they weren't?

Come on people...
  #73  
Old April 28th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Green Acres Green Acres is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6
Dear Gut Busting and Mizz Utopia.............

You know with me it's just one of those things where you find a site that interest you, ie fellow good folks who love their animals etc, and even though you've heard it all time and time again for some strange reason one day it just strikes a wrong cord with you and so you feel like you've got to post...and so I have.

I can have an appreciation for the frustration so many surely go through when they work in rescue programs day in and day out...how utterly depressing it must be to see the problem continue and grow and to know that no matter how hard you work there's no end of it in sight...and so I can understand how easy it is to make generalizations and feel justified in doing so....BUT the fact is adamance is by no means an indicant of fact. You tell us about cats that are rescues.....I'm talking about cats and animals we either own ourselves or that our neighbors do....gee which one of us do you think has a better idea about the animals they speak of in this scenario? You with your "educated" guesswork at how they were raised and have spent their lives or those of us who have lived with and personally witnessed the treatment and condition of the animals we speak of?

Utopia? Hmmm...if the town names out here were so significantly historic that might be a nice name chance to consider as I'll be the first to admit that we really do live in a lil slice of heaven....but there's noway the town councils would ever go for it....LOL. Most of us larger land owners have been here since our families settled here after having traveled in for the gold rush and although we do get a certain amount of tourist our population is primarily comprised of only folks we know and have been family friends for in some cases generations.....sans some of the "greenhorns" that I made mention of before/sheesh they are a mixed bag! As such we pretty much all live in each others back pockets so to speak and as many of us still use horses and dogs, and yes cats too(yep those lil barn gremlins we are in such controversy over/gees/lol), for work as much as for our pleasure I'd say it's fair to assume with living such a different type of life style from most who work in rescue situations that our opinions would logically vary somewhat....BUT you have to understand that you can no more assume how things may look to be in your neck of the woods is the same for all over because to do so without any practical real background experience behind you truly is nothing more than simple ignorance. I'm not so blind that I can't see how situations may be different in the world you live in WHICH is why I'm not telling you how it is everywhere.....just here and what is our local experience....so don't you go playing Forest Gump thinking you can tell us how our animals are cared for and be silly enough to assume it won't be commented on. "Utopia" it is not here, and we have our fair share of animal problems which are most commonly involving either wild beast or ferels brought in and dumped from the cities, but for all that no one place is perfect I am happy to embrace the concept of it being a sort of Utopia as it is the best place in the world that I've ever been and shant ever live anyplace else.

Now if we all want to go about with thin skin I suppose I could come back in and spout off about how dare you insult me, and those in living styles like me, by saying I'm a liar...I mean after all if I say how none of our barn cats out here are in the dire straights you say they are, and you insist that those of us who don't see these cats that are supposedly (according to you that is) being so poorly neglected are living in some fantasy world, then one could assume you are essentially stating we are lying....correct? Now the message may have not been intended to come across that way, or it may have...dunno and don't know that I care either way....but the only way for all the tit-for-tat crap to stop will be if people open their minds a bit and can at least grasp the concept that what they personally believe (PERSONALLY BELIEVE) is just that: THEIR PERSONAL BELIEF. You want to substanciate your belief and convince me it's factual then provide me with some kind of tangible proof....and I don't want to hear any clinical stats on how many thousands are put down each year blah blah blah....all that shows is how bad the situation still stands with people refusing to spay and neuter/it has no bearings on specific groups such as barn cats etc. When an animal is dropped off at a shelter anonomously they usually don't come with a diary describing their life story with them/they aren't cabbage patch cats...so what's the deal? Do some of these shelters get farmers walking in their front doors every day telling them about how "barn cat" 1001 needs to be put to sleep because they diodn't bother to spay them etc? Really....do you have any idea just how nuts you sound when you spout off stuff that's so purely a one sided ignorant hypothesis? You want to be able to speak knowledgably about "barn cats", their lives, their owners, etc then you should have first hand experience with them and a lot of it/don't just go and pick and choose through the mess load of BS cliche's that are out there and think you can piece it all together to try and come off as being someone who knows when you don't. I don't mind a difference in opinions.....but I hate charlotons and shams. Our whole existance out here stems from our animals....you want to talk about something you most likely know more about why not lecture me on the pros and cons of blinds versus shades/I am seriously difficient in my knowledge of proper window treatments.....but this crap about how the barn cats are such poorly cared for beast SORRY I can't buy what I know to be horse pucky.
  #74  
Old April 28th, 2004, 01:42 PM
MBRA518 MBRA518 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Blackstock, Ontario
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b
Hello,I think I know the difference.My aunts cows,chickens,horses and dogs were not raised for meals.They were VERY loved and taken care of.And 2 of my cousins were in 4H at the time.

You people all think these dog/cats have a voice and they tell you they love to be outside 24/7.

Why would I want to slowly bring a dog that was rescued indoors if it was raised outdoors?Because that is me.And I want the dog to be a part of my "pack"..Which is the family.Sorry but there is no difference there...Happy outside?yeah like they really are.That's all they know is to be outside day in and day out.Sorry,there is no difference there.

I tell you,if you tried to adopt a dog here at the shelter/SPCA...YOU will not get that dog if you plan on keeping it outside.They are against it.
You did not say a rescued dog before... you just said a dog that didn't want to live in.... That's just my point - YOU want it to live in... maybe the dog wouldn't given the right outdoor circumstances - most dogs can be convinced to be happy in or out... that doesn't mean they would be any more or less happy in the other situation. All animals have a voice if you choose to listen. Animals are allowed to speak when you give them choices... some will chose to live outside with proper shelter.

As for whether or not an animal is happy outside depends on the animal... how do you know your animals are happy inside? My house cat would love to go outside... she tries to escape all the time - but I can't let her out as the area I'm in has a lot of animals around and we are close to a train tack.... is she happy being in... most of the time, but she would like to go out, but I don't let her for her safety... I know that is best for her, but she doesn't.

I find it hard to believe that the SPCA would not adopt a dog to a farm or country home where the dog would live out with proper shelter, care and love - I'm not talking about the barking Brutus on the 6ft chain attached to a dog house in a back yard... but loving homes.... sad really considering how many from those shelters are destroyed due to over population. I think it is appalling that "animal lovers" would rather put down a healthy dog than have it go to a loving home, just because they have different views... because effectively that's what happens... may not be that particular dog... but every home lost is another shelter dog that dies.
  #75  
Old April 28th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Green Acres Green Acres is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6
BlueQueen...LOL....Thanks for giving me the best chuckle I've had all moring! Pet Psychic/I love it!...LOL....Maybe it;s time we moved our operation into the future and see if we can hire one on staff and set up an animal resources center for all our livestock....I can imagine some of the complaints....."they keep using the blue halter when they should KNOW I prefer the red...."....lmao. I'm sorry....I don't let my 2 yar old daughter dictate to me how SHE wants to do things....I think when we get to the point where we give our animals more consideration and personal liberties than our children get that's a bit much isn't it?. Pet Psychic/to funny!
  #76  
Old April 28th, 2004, 01:46 PM
jess-mcbess jess-mcbess is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6
Lucky Rescue, I think it's great that you rescue cats and dogs, and my comments weren't directed at you. I'm sorry for not specifying. I was trying to get my point accross to all the people that don't help/rescue animals, but have such a harsh voice against someone who does and gives them a loving home.
Although I agree with there being many owners that don't "fix" their dogs/cats (which I don't agree with, unless the animal is for breeding) I don't agree with them not practicing safety precautions. We don't need anymore unwanted animals running around in the world getting neglected or abused. I don't think it's fair. I don't however think that RK is one of those "mean" owners. She seems to take great care of her rescued animals, and if they're happy that's all that matters. I rescued a puppy and she prefers to be outside. If she's in she gets anxious and barks and scratches at the door. I don't force her to stay inside or go outside. It's her choice. I have also owned dogs that don't really like going outside except for walks, and doing their business.
Some shelters do let barn people rescue dogs/cats even if they are going to be living outdoors. Not everybody thinks that animals should all live inside.
For those of you I have offended, I'm sorry but I don't think it's fair to be so mean to a loving and caring "mom" just because she does things differently than you. It's like a mom that bottle feeds her baby against a mother who breast feeds. One is slightly better, but you shouldn't look down on someone because of their decision. Oh, and who knows which is better. A bottle feeder will tell you her way, and a breast feeder will tell you different. Just because they're doing things differently doesn't mean that one child is being neglected or not loved does it?
  #77  
Old April 28th, 2004, 02:03 PM
bluequeen bluequeen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Acres
BlueQueen...LOL....Thanks for giving me the best chuckle I've had all moring! Pet Psychic/I love it!...LOL....Maybe it;s time we moved our operation into the future and see if we can hire one on staff and set up an animal resources center for all our livestock....I can imagine some of the complaints....."they keep using the blue halter when they should KNOW I prefer the red...."....lmao. I'm sorry....I don't let my 2 yar old daughter dictate to me how SHE wants to do things....I think when we get to the point where we give our animals more consideration and personal liberties than our children get that's a bit much isn't it?. Pet Psychic/to funny!
Hahaha..thanks to you too..I love the blue halter/red halter...or here's a good one what about rolling in the mud right after a bath...'but she knows better then that..now I'm going to have to ask her why she did that' LMAO!!!!
  #78  
Old April 28th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Susie Q Susie Q is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b

As for the comment about going to a shelter.A shelter will NOT let you adopt out an animal,especially if it's a dog that will live outside 24/7....So no,they will not be happy to adopt out to rescuekitty.And that I have seen being done at the shelter.A few people tried to adopt.But when they said the dog was going to live outside,they were denied the adoption.

And I would rather have my dogs alone in the house,then alone outside.
Actually, this isn't completely true. The barn where I keep my horse, has adopted cats to specifically be barn cats. They've even had the SPCA call the owners too ask if they'd be interested in adopting two more! (which they did)
These cats are spayed and neutered and happy as clams. And as for whoever said that the average barn cats lives approx. 5 years, these cats range between 7 and 15 years old, and show no signs of slowing down. They are all fed regularly and have warm places to go should the weather be less than pleasant.

This is a horse barn, and the horses live out for the majority of the day, but they would probably be just as happy being out 24/7. This is not cruel at all, they are some of the fattest happiest horses I have ever seen. I see no difference between livestock and dogs/cats living outdoors, as someone weakly tried to argue.... As long as they are fed, watered, and have shelter and the right physical health and "attributes" (i.e. coat, etc.) to help deal with the elements, they should be fine.

I myself prefer to keep my dogs indoors, because we don't have a fenced yard, and we have neighbours close by. I however have an open - mind, unlike 95% of this BB, and realize that there are many ways to raise animals to be happy and healthy.

I commend those who have come to the aid of RescueKitty, what are we in public school? Do we all need to gang up on one person to make ourselves feel like only we can be right, and therfore everyone else is borderline retarded?

Everyone who seems to think that "our animals can't tell us that they like it outside, therefore they must be kept inside".... REALLY???? What kind of lame - ass arguement is that?? You didn't talk to them did you? did you sit down with them as puppies/kittens, and have a little discussion with them? because I'm pretty sure that they didn't tell you that they wanted to be stuck inside with you either.

Get off your pedestals, and open your minds, it's quite obvious who the city - people are with the "well, I drove past a farm once, so I must know know what it's like to live/work on a farm, and raise farm animals." THERE ARE MANY WAYS TO RAISE AN ANIMAL, YOURS MIGHT NOT BE THE ONLY WAY, so get over yourselves....
  #79  
Old April 28th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Pitcin Pitcin is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10
Just to add to the 24/7 horse turnout.

I have a 35 year old pony mare that flat out refuses to go into a stall. She will plant her feet and will not budge, once she is inside she is very restless and will pace the entire time she is stalled.

I also have a 9 year old gelding who was put in a stall once...and he came out...all by himself, from a dead standstill he jumped the door. He drew blood on his hind legs and gashed himself just above his eye, yes the vet was called, this all happened because he could not stand to be confined.

Both animals have great winter coats, I blanket them on the cold days, they have shelter, water and free hay all day and night.

Now am I wrong? Should I confine these lovely animals to the stall because I don't like being cold therefore they don't like it either? Or should I stall them and have my gelding continue to gash himself open and have my mare go into a tizzy? (This of course is a no brainer...for most of us anyway).
  #80  
Old April 28th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Luba's Avatar
Luba Luba is offline
Sadie's Chefomatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 7,303
I find it absolutely hillarious that someone would tell their friends
'oh come help me on this mesg board' especially if someone is an adult.
This is more teenage behaviour (Mona u relate lol)

I've have had my share of disagreements with people but I don't need a posse to help me make my OWN opinions known.

Rescuekitty if you find the need to have others accept and support you thats your business. From an outside perspective and I know I"m not alone here..it looks so very desperate and pathetic.

Dogs and cats have been forced over the years to be turned domesticated through breeding. You people some how think with your knowledge or lack thereof that you can suddenly undomesticate pets that have been domesticated for hundreds of years (now thousands actually).

It seems to make people 'feel better ' to have others agree with them. Where I could stand alone, stand proud and strong in my beliefs because they are good and fair and just.

There is strength in numbers yes, but simply because others agree does not make it right.

I can walk around a community and find dozens of people who would take either side. I can go through shelters and find hunting dogs lost/dumped/abused and neglected/sick and injured from living outdoors.
I can find cats so full of ticks and fleas they can barely move...again from living outdoors.

I'm happy there are others that agree with me and take the same stand I do, atleast there is some hope for the lovely souls...there are some that love and cherish them enough to have them part of their family.
__________________
Cats only have nine lives because they stole them from dogs!Teehee
  #81  
Old April 28th, 2004, 03:28 PM
mona_b's Avatar
mona_b mona_b is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hamilton Ont
Posts: 4,620
AMEN Luba...

Yes I can definately relate to the teenage behaviour Luba...LOL

At least my 17 year old daughter doesn't need to call in a posse to fight her battles when she has it out with someone.Or say I'm going to get my mommy.

Notice she has nothing to say now?

Sorry,we are not talking about horses.
__________________
"A dog can express more with his tail in minutes than his owner can express with his tongue in hours."
  #82  
Old April 28th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Missy's Avatar
Missy Missy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 127
All I can say is - WOW

So, let me get this straight - this is a thread that started out about a cat licking earlobes and it came to this? As much as I would rather not continue this thread, I just have to throw my two cents in here and say OMG!

As great as it is to have new members join, I totally agree with Luba. So, you get all of your friends to join up (all on the same day and each posting within minutes of each other....hmmm, glad that I wasn't the only one who was suspicious of that one) and rant and rave because you have a different opinion? Maybe you think you are expressing yourself but it definitely comes off like an attack. This is a forum for responsible pet owners to share advice, opinions, and support - not a place to blast people because they don't support your views.

The nasty and sarcastic comments that you have been throwing at Mona, Chico, LR, Luba and everyone else who disagrees with you is completely unnecessary, uncalled for, and indicates a definite lack of maturity. Any negative comment that they may have had is clearly a result of concern for the well-being and safety of the animals, not petty meanness. I can't speak for those of you who are all new but I can tell you, as an outside observer who had not participated in this thread, that they dedicate their lives to helping pet owners to care for their animals and protect helpless animals who are unable to do it for themselves. Whether or not you agree with their opinion, the least that you can do is give them the much deserved respect for their efforts.

So there. My two cents.
  #83  
Old April 28th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Pitcin Pitcin is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10
Please forgive my ignorance, I thought animals were animals be it horses, cats or dogs, as my memory recalls horses have been mentioned numerous times in this thread. Did I perhaps make a point and you are to above it to take note or even acknowledge it was a point well made?

Let's try it this way then, shall we:

Just to add to the 24/7 cat/dog turnout.

I have a 35 year old cat that flat out refuses to go inside. She will plant her feet and will not budge, once she is inside she is very restless and will pace the entire time she is in.

I also have a 9 year old dog who was put inside once...and he came right back out...all by himself, from a dead standstill he jumped the door. He drew blood on his hind legs and gashed himself just above his eye, yes the vet was called, this all happened because he could not stand to be confined.

Both animals have great winter coats, I blanket them on the cold days, they have shelter, water.

Now am I wrong? Should I confine these lovely animals to the great indoors because I don't like being cold therefore they don't like it either? Or should I stall them and have my dog continue to gash himself open and have my cat go into a tizzy? (This of course is a no brainer...for most of us anyway).
  #84  
Old April 28th, 2004, 03:52 PM
bluequeen bluequeen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luba
I
There is strength in numbers yes, but simply because others agree does not make it right.
Are you listening to what you are saying?? You are right in the sense that just cause others agree doesn't make it right...who gave you the almighty power to say you were the one that was correct..
  #85  
Old April 28th, 2004, 03:55 PM
mona_b's Avatar
mona_b mona_b is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hamilton Ont
Posts: 4,620
Pitcin.
You just changed your 35 year old old pony and your 9 year old gelding to a 35 year old cat and a 9 year old dog.

A 35 year old cat?Nice try......
__________________
"A dog can express more with his tail in minutes than his owner can express with his tongue in hours."
  #86  
Old April 28th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Missy's Avatar
Missy Missy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 127
I think you missed the point - that she does not need to have several of her friends sign up to validate her opinion by jumping in. Luba feels strong and confident in her opinion and so it doesn't matter what other people think. Since I don't remember reading the words 'almighty power' in her message, you might want to pay more attention before you post.
  #87  
Old April 28th, 2004, 04:10 PM
chico2's Avatar
chico2 chico2 is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oakville Ontario
Posts: 26,593
I was wondering where all these people came from all of a sudden and suspected something like this
I am not sure anymore what RK's original question was all about,I think it had to do with her cat having kittens under a piece of sheet-metal,which to me sounded brutal,not even in a barn,but outside in the cold.
Where were all her knowledgable friends when she needed help,why did she have to turn to the Internet
I strongly believe in keeping the cat-population down and since you all spay and neuter yours,you are obviously not part of the problem,you all have happy,healthy,parasitefree cats..good for you.You all have nice warm places provided for your cats/dogs,but RK did not gives the impression that she did.
Also,I resent you knocking people who really do devote their time and money to rescue unwanted animals,many times bringing back to life, cats/dogs on the brink of death because of uncaring morons.
So I say,we all love and care for our animals,be it in different ways.
I also wondered,if you have 10 barn-cats running around chasing mice,how do you know when one is sick?
I know my cats behavior,I know if they are sick needing medical attention and they get it.I was visiting a ranch in Alberta(Pincher Creek)and was horrified at the condition of some of the dogs and cats.
Vet's for barn-cats?that was unheard of,they die,they die,there
were plenty more where they came from.As for the working dogs,when no longer of use to the rancher or hunter,they were shot on the spot.
Well,I hope this is the end of this subject,we'll just agree to disagree,after all Canada is a free country
__________________
"The cruelest animal is the Human animal"
3 kitties,Rocky(r.i.p my boy),Chico,Vinnie
  #88  
Old April 28th, 2004, 04:11 PM
amaruq's Avatar
amaruq amaruq is offline
banned user
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 743
Holy Moly did I miss one!!!!!!! i seen ear sucking and thought nothing of it cause I had a cat that did it and I thought it was no big deal.

Look there is crappy owners all over. If only you all seen my area..you would cry..I do just about every day.

I lived on a farm. When there too many kittens they are put in a pile and some fool took a shotgun...well enough said. Even pups were the same. I seen where the kittens had been stomped by the cows...it was almost cartoonish in the way they were flattened. Pups were wild...they got fed sure...if needed medical help well maybe if we could find them. I hated it all!!!!!!!!!!! I still live with nightmares about those times and those are just the tip of the iceberg.

I'm a vegan...can't stand the thought of eating something I love. I loved playing with the animals..I never understood why it disappeared. (I lived on the farm till I was 11). This is something that grosses me out but by no means does it have to anyone else. I seen too much death in my time...that was enough for me.

My animals are all rescues....each story seems to be worse then the next. my dogs love to play outside but I dare you to knock them off the bed. Better count fingers and toes after. They are dogs and I love the spirit of them (cats too). There is nothing worse then an animal that has had their spirit broken. But remember that cats and dog have been domesticated for thousands of years. Heck even some of the egyptian Mummys have their dogs in the crypts.
  #89  
Old April 28th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Bill & Bob Bill & Bob is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 363
I think what we need here is to take a big lap at the big bowl of calm and perspective. This is the first thread I've seen on here that's turned as nasty as what I see on hockey message boards, and am seeing the same words being used here as I see there...
"What I'm saying is..."
"You're not getting my point..."
"I didn't say that I meant...."
"When did I say that...."
"So let me get this straight.."
And so on and so on. Lots of assumptions, confabulation (for those who don't know, that means filling in parts of stories yourself you didn't get subconciously because the story doesn't make sense without the fill in), misinterpretations, misunderstandings, etc. I'm seeing lots of biting without the more polite warning growl first.

Let's get this straight. We're on the internet folks. On a message board. If we were all sitting in a bar over beers talking about the same thing, acting in a similar manner to each other......As Jim Morrison once said "No one here gets out alive" would likely be the end situation. All you get to see here is the text on the screen. Full stop, end of sentence. You don't know the person. You don't know what they are like. You don't know what they feel they have to say that they think is sufficient to explain themselves or their point of view, because they might be assuming you know more about them than you really do. Or not.
Anyone ever send an email to a friend with a little joke in it, only to have them calling you in a panic saying "Why are you so angry with me?" Emails, message boards, etc. can all be a very dangerous thing in my opinion. And all should be taken with a rather large grain of salt. Or a nice big mellow pill.

I find it hard to believe that anyone, and I mean anyone who has posted in this thread is actually intentionally or negligently harming their animals. I also doubt that everyone, and I mean everyone who posted in this thread is "the perfect pet owner". I find it hard to believe that everyone who posted in this thread took the opportunity to explain themselves absolutely and completely without excluding any particular detail, thus everyone is making assumptions.

If you want this board to turn into a wrestling match, have at it. It's the internet folks. Take it for what it is.
  #90  
Old April 28th, 2004, 07:04 PM
chico2's Avatar
chico2 chico2 is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oakville Ontario
Posts: 26,593
Here,here Bob I was on a political Forum once,boy,talk about crazy...if we were all that outspoken in private,there would be a political uprising in Canada
I do believe they are all out milking their cows now though,meow~~(just a friendly barb,no offense meant) Oh no,the hockey-game is on
__________________
"The cruelest animal is the Human animal"
3 kitties,Rocky(r.i.p my boy),Chico,Vinnie
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 9.09%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 AM.