Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old May 15th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

GRRR!! i trust not the rep!

so i had to get Roland some new hypoallergenic wet food yesterday and went in to the vet. looked at royal canin i know, and the medi cal that the vet prescribed and the rc has a lot less junk in it. so being a bit concerned about the venison byproduct on the label (rc) i spoke to the vet tec and told her of my concerns. she said they adressed the same concerns with the rep who assured her its not the cr@p but just cuts of meat that they dont sell. huh!!! Roland nearly choked on a piece of bone in his wet food this morning. he managed to get it out of the roof of his mouth and chew it up but i went through his food and found another piece. washed it and put it on the kitchen window to take back to the naive vet tech and show her but sometime when i was getting dressed Roland the little bugger got up on the windowsill and ate it!!!
anyway i am going to write to them and give them hell and im going to go back to the sweet girl at the vet and tell her how misguided they are!
and then im going to try some solid gold wet tuna stuff (i think its the solid gold or maybe its the califonia natural) that has only really tuna in it, unfortunately it also has menadione in it. i will be writing to them about that too cause its one of the very few wet foods that only has one protein source that i can find here!!!
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Ragdoll Mom

You know I don't even know what to say anymore, I too switched the cats at one point during the recall panic to Techni-cal wet food (also a Royal Canin, Medi-cal product) I have a zip lock full of hard bone fragments that I found all over the floor and in the bowls, seriously I have a baggie with the bottom full and they only were on the stuff for 3 weeks. I actually thought that Royal Canin was one of the better products, how wrong I was. I am absolutly mortified that my female might have a food allergy to her new food (she out of the blue has a huge patch of hair missing from her cheek) I am feeding Orijen with Wellness wet, makes me sick if she is allergic and has to go on special food, don't trust any of the major companies anymore.
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:36 PM

I dont even try with the vets anymore. I simply tell them I'm VERY happy with the food I use right now and there is no way they are going to convince me to switch to their brands. And I leave it at that. They believe those foods are good and not being a vet, in their eyes, I have no credit to stand on, so the argument goes nowhere.
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:45 PM

its so hard cause i really dont know how much option i have as to a hyper allergenic food. the pet food store lady said they have raw. so thats an option but i still want him to have kibble as a filler and i still dont know what hes allergic to if anything in the kibble i have tried :sad:
Old May 16th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

The food has bone peices in it? And thats cooked bone. Wow, i would SOOOOO be calling them up! Can you post a picture of the peices? I'm curious about their size.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:38 AM

Scott, he ate the bone after i cleaned it off and put it on the kitchen windowsill to take back to the vet, sneaky bugger. it was about half the size of my little fingernail, i thought maybe it was one of his teeth cause it was about that shape but after looking at it and seeing the marrow and thinking about the size being way too big to be an 8 month old kitten tooth i figured it was one of their "human grade" none bone, hoof etc bye-products that the rep had so specifically addressed as a concern to the vet tech.
i am writing to them right now.
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Boss-lady!

Eek! What a horrible thing to find in ANY food, let alone one meant to be fed for medical reasons.

Human-grade, huh? So that means their venison is farmed? Sorry, but I've known enough animal control officers and game wardens to know that road kill often ends up being sold-to pet food companies.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:56 AM

i just emailed them and will hopefully get a response from them soon.
im mad as hell. aside from that it doesnt have much in it as far as junk is concerned. no vit k, no gluten, should be a good food if they were using a decent protein source that didnt include bone! i will post what they respond.