Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old May 15th, 2007, 06:50 PM

First time raw, didnt go so well...

I bought a chicken quarter leg to give to Louie for his birthday. Figured it would be a nice treat. I defrosted it and gave it to him in his bowl. He sniffed it and looked at me like "Ok, we're's my real dinner?" So I coaxed him to taking a bite and he did, then spit it out. So I chopped off some pieces, thinking "Well, its his first time with this, maybe he just doesnt know how to eat something solid like that." So I gave it to him, even mixed some of his kibble in with it, and he ate around the chicken. Tickey seemed interested so I gave him a chunk, and he took it... then spit it out!

I got chicken because it was only a dollar for the whole quarter, and I know that if they have never had raw meat before, something else like beef could be too rich for them and could come out bad the other end lol. That, and they seem to like the canned food that has chicken in it (I suppliment their Evo with Merrick) so I figured the real thing would be a hit! Not.

Do they just not like the taste of raw chicken? or did I do something wrong?
Old May 15th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Honest Contributor

oh no worries, a few dogs a) don't take to the diet right away or b) don't like chicken. raw meat has very little smell, you might want to take the skin off and lightly sear that leg to give it some delicious flavor, that usually gets the dog going "oh! it's food! yummay!" or try turkey, or pork, or even beef... just a little at first can go a long way

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

What Techno said! The other thing, you want to not get in the habit of offering "better" foods to intice them. You can create a fussy dog that way. Put out a meal. If they refuse to eat it. Pick it up after 10min. Offer again at next meal time. After a few days, they'll eat if they're hungry. And no this wont hurt them.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_B View Post
What Techno said! The other thing, you want to not get in the habit of offering "better" foods to intice them. You can create a fussy dog that way. Put out a meal. If they refuse to eat it. Pick it up after 10min. Offer again at next meal time. After a few days, they'll eat if they're hungry. And no this wont hurt them.
Actually I'm quicker - if they dont eat their food right away, in the first minute or so, I pick it up and put the whole bowl in the fridge and thats what they get for the following meal. I've only had to do this once though because Louie was on an antibiotic that upset his stomach, so he got picky for a few days. I usually dont have time to sit and watch the bowl for ten minutes, so they know they have to eat when I say its meal time. I just did more this time because this was Louie's first time ever seeing a raw chicken leg, and thought maybe he didnt know what to make of it. I wrapped up what he didnt eat and put it in the freezer, so I guess I'll try again another time.

Last edited by sissani; May 15th, 2007 at 08:26 PM.
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Learning fast

Missy will not touch chicken, she's not fussy and will eat what ever goes down, except chicken. She takes a sniff and walks away. Sometimes they just simply wont eat it. At the time I thought she may have a chewing problem but pork shoulder put me straight on that point
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll View Post
you might want to take the skin off and lightly sear that leg to give it some delicious flavor, that usually gets the dog going "oh! it's food! yummay!"
If I sear it, I can only give them the meat right? Not the bones...?
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

no, you can give the whole thing. With searing, you only want to lightly sear it, not cook the whole thing. Remove the skin, get a hot pan ready, and just touch the meat to the pan for a few seconds on each side.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938