Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old May 4th, 2007, 10:33 AM

Hardy shade plants

anyone have suggestions for plants to put around our above-ground pool? They need to take shade since most of the pool wall blocks the sun, and they also need to withstand chlorine from the pool. I was thinking of planting lots of Hostas since they can take a lot, but I would like to have a few other plants of different shapes and colours.

Any tips?
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Furball Farmer

I have a shade flower bed at the back of our trailer which doesn't get any direct sun at all here's what I planted in it:
Hostas, monkshood, mint, bleeding heart (white and pink) lily of the valley, achillea,sedum, and anemone.
I also have lilies in there as an experiment, but because of the lack of sun they don't actually flower until about august.
The color variety of these plants is great since they all flower, and many of them come in more than one color. Plus when planted all together they range in various height and size so they give you a nice looking display.

Hope this helps, and if you need more information find out what planting zone you are in and do a search on the net, you'd be surprised at the selection you could have.
Old May 4th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Young at Heart

Astilbe might do well there too. You might also consider Solomon's Seal, Toad Lily, some Columbine do well in part shade but if you want a really good ground cover - try Bugle Weed - it loves the shade and spreads rapidly.

GOod luck!
Old May 4th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

If you can get a hold of these, I can attest that they are a VERY hardy and extremely inexpensive plant, however, you have to keep up with them because they can get very invasive. But they are very pretty. I planted a ton here and cleared a bunch out about a month ago. I could send you some.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/5782/
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:55 PM

I like impatients...
Old May 4th, 2007, 06:07 PM

My yard is very shady but i'm still figuring it out. Hostas are great, they come in different sizes and colors. Ferns are nice, but not sure how they would do w/ the chlorine. I think I have that same thing jesse's mommy pointed out, only mine are green. I can't get rid of it... If you want a shrub, try rhododendron/azalea's, holly or boxwood. There are some grasses that would probably do ok. Japanese sedge grass i think? Lots of ground covers are good in shade. Some others I like are Heuchera (come in different colors and most have flowers), epimedium, polemonium (Jacob's ladder) and bamboo.
Old May 4th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Kristin, the plants we have are green on the bottom and purple on the top. If you want to get rid of them, make sure you pull them out by the root. I'm not kidding when I say they can be very invasive. They started taking over our birds of paradise. But they are so pretty and I love them, but if I get lazy, phew, I cause myself so much extra work. They definitely need to be thinned out on a regular basis.

I do know that they are definitely hardy because my family has always had them in upstate Pennsylvania which is more similar to the weather there in Canada than it is here in Florida.
Old May 4th, 2007, 06:24 PM

Thanks, I'll see if I can get at all the roots... I don't hate it but it is spreading all over. The mint is invasive too, but does smell nice! Plus, you can eat it or use it in drinks (such as Mojitos!).

I do like impatiens as well. Another annual flower for shade is begonia. They come in a lot of colors and can have different flower types. Some have really big leaves too. Annuals are good for filling up those blank spots while you wait for the perennials to come in, and also have longer flowering times.
Old May 4th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Oh, Kristin another thing, if you get a hold of the root it should come out pretty easy, but if the dirt seems to be a bit "hard", just wet it down a bit and pull it out. This is one of those plants that you can literally break off and shove in the ground and it'll root, but to break it off you actually have to take it and "snap" it so the root should be pretty sturdy. Hopefully that helps and I didn't ramble too much.
Old May 4th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I think a nice layer of taller ferns, ostrich or something like that, with a layer of hosta, a little lower, but green, not variegated.....with some dwarf dead nettle (white or pink flowered) at the front. Would make a rather lush tropical look with the ferns especially.

Cindy
Old May 4th, 2007, 10:36 PM
cat slave

you'd be good with perennials. Some shrubs maybe, Hostas are good for shade too and they make flowers too. Or covers.
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:50 PM
-

Bishop's weed also known as goutweed or ground elder (aegopodium podagraria) is also good as a filler in both shade or sun. It is very hardy but you have to contain it though because it's invasive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground-elder
Old May 5th, 2007, 07:36 AM

Bishops weed, I had some of that too. Well, i'm sure I still have it. It is nice for lightening up an area that is shady but it is invasive and very hard to get rid of. Don't put it anywhere where it can take over other plants. The root system gets extremely dense. If you leave a piece of root in the ground, it'll eventually sprout...

Thanks for the tips jesse's mommy!
Old May 6th, 2007, 05:09 PM

thanks for all your ideas. Some of the plants I have heard of and some I have not. My mom always had huge flowerbeds so I am fairly familiar with different variaties, but my main concern was the chemicals from the pool water. I need something cheep, that is very low maintainance, which is why I will probably use mostly Hostas, I love how they get big and bushy. But I also want something different here and there for colour. I have had Astilbies in the past, like them too. I will check my local garden center (s) here and see what they have that is difficult to ruin .

They will get some sun late in the day, so I guess a half-shade plant would do well there too.

I will let you know what I decided, and maybe post a pic when it is all done (now it is just dirt )
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:06 AM

Good luck! If you haven't heard of these before, look around for them (Heuchera, also called Coral bells). They look really nice next to my hostas, esp the purple-leafed ones:
http://www.theprimrosepath.com/listings/heuchera1.htm
They seem pretty hardy, too, at least, I haven't managed to kill any of them, lol!
For a different colored fern (purple/silvery), try Japanese painted fern, which also goes together well with the hostas.

Here's the Jacob's ladder:
http://springhillnursery.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_71023
Not sure how hardy it is, but it survived the winter in my yard and is now blooming, and looks great!

I have some dwarf bamboo that seems to be spreading (oops, think I may have put it in the wrong spot for that!). Mine made it through the Midwest winter fine.
http://www.bamboos.com/dwarf%20bamboo.html
I think I have this one: Pleioblastus viridistriatus

Of course, hostas themselves come in different colors and sizes. Can't wait to see your pics!
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:43 AM

mint can be very invasive. My dad once got an old square kitchen sink, sunk it in the ground, filled it with soil and planted the mint in it.

we ended up with nice bushy mint patch that didn;t take over the whole garden.

my job wash picking mint and making mint sauce when we had roast lamb for sunday lunch