Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old May 1st, 2007, 07:37 PM
Performance Spaniels

Searing-baking for smell enticement Q

After a long time of giving up on miss Cider, I pulled some riblettes out of the freezer.. Was mainly meat, not too much bone, toothbrush rather than kibble for dinner. Rather than searing briefly to entice her, I threw it in the oven with our dinner briefly.

I was wondering how long is too long.. how long before the bone begins to change properties and become no longer decent? I'd liek to slowly reduce and let her eventually have raw (which she turns her nose up at still). But she jumped on tonight's riblette. I just don't want to overdo it, as it was I forgot about it while making some of our meal, and was paro about it. Was in 7-10 minutes, when I'd be plannign on 5. Oops.
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:08 PM
Learning fast

Not what you want to hear but I don't think any amount of time in the oven is acceptable, searing means the heat only touches the meat for a few seconds, where as oven bakeing heats the whole item through (bones and all), even in 5 minutes.
Size and density of the bone would change the times but thats irrelevant.
Was it frozen when you put it in the oven?, was it still cold when you took it back out (like defrosted) if the bone portion has not gone past room temperature you would be all right but IMO it's not worth the risk.

Last edited by x.l.r.8; May 1st, 2007 at 11:11 PM.
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:22 PM
Honest Contributor

i bake their chunks of bone-in pork roasts all the time (ribs attached to back bones) in my toaster oven for about 8 to 9 minutes, they love it and the bone is not cooked, the meat is mostly raw - whatever it takes for them to eat it

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:21 AM
Performance Spaniels

TY Techno..

Well searing would be in the frying pan.. and I'm really tired of attempting to do that. Sticks to the pan unless you add an oil, and I don't really care to smell it in all honesty.

It was still internally pretty raw when she got it, and she liked it a load better than anytime I seared it.

It went into the oven frozen..
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:23 AM
Agility Addict

Whether or not they can handle it depends on the dog IMO... It they bolt rather than take the time to chew than obviously its a no go (but I don't think Cider does that LOL). And also whether their tummy can handle it. Our last dog ate all kinds of cooked bones regularly and only had a problem in her senior years - she had to be limited because it gave her the runs.
Dodger will vomit if any kind of cooked bone enters his system (not something I gave him - he's been given cooked lamb bones by the GP's when I'm not looking - and I get to clean up the mess at 3AM)
Anyway, it would certainly be my choice not to bake them because I do think they dry out quickly but if Cider can handle it, its worth a shot !
Old May 3rd, 2007, 08:36 PM
Performance Spaniels

I baked for 5 minutes tonight, was defiantly much more raw that the other night, took her longer to get into it, but she chewed on it the whole time it took me to prepare the family's dinner. Bone looked no different than the other day felt no different either, but I was less paro with it being in the over less. She seemed to like it more than she did when I used to try to pan fry it lightly. Not sure why but it's less mess and ick to me.. I'll just make sure to set a timer for anything I stick in for her to keep it on the as rare as possible side.
Old May 4th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

As long as the bone isnt cooked, do what you have to, but personally, I would never ever feed a cooked bone. Its one of the very first things you learn when starting raw. No cooked bones. EVER. Most problems that vets have with dogs and bones getting stuck or whatever, involve cooked bones. Its just a huge no no to me.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938