Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 17th, 2004, 12:10 PM

Unhappy taming two parakeets

I bought two "wild" parakeets from a pet store about 3 or 4 months ago. Ive tried everything to tame them and nothing has worked. Now i have separated them because ive heard that it is easier to tame a parakeet if they are alone. Will this cause too much stress for my birds? I plan to "reunite" them as soon as they are tamed unless they are acting too stressed. Thanks for your help.
Old April 17th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Taming adult wild parakeets, especially two who have bonded with each other, is VERY difficult. Separating them often does not help, unless they are completely out of each other's hearing.

If you want a really tame pet, I suggest you leave these two together, and get a baby bird to lavish attention on. By the way, don't know if you are aware, but parakeets are one of the very best talking birds. Another great choice for a fun pet is a handfed baby lovebird. Any baby you raise alone will need LOTS of attention from you though!

Keep the wild birds in a very large cage, with lots of toys and just enjoy watching them. They are always busy and very entertaining!
Old April 17th, 2004, 05:24 PM

A "pair of keets"

Parakeets are loving little birds and do well if you get them young enough. These two don't sound like good canidates for being dependent on you for their attention.
I would-as has been suggested - start with a nestling and go from there.
A friend of mine has a floor to ceiling cage in her living room and 8 feet long x 4 feet wide. It is a walk in bird cage and a stunning accessory to her decorating motif.
It has trees, lights a waterfall, very well appointed for the birds and her two Siamese think it is great to watch their own TV 24/7. The cat's do not bother the birds and the birds seem oblivious to the cat's stares.