Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old April 22nd, 2007, 11:21 AM
Boss-lady!

It's time to start seriously thinking....

about what to do with my yard! It needs a major overhaul for a number of reasons and will probably take a few years to accomplish, but it's sure nice to dream about in the meantime.

I'll get out there this afternoon and finally finish the spring tidy-up, and I just learned that my little dogwood tree that I thought was slowing dying off hasn't been doing very well because you're supposed to trim it back to about 12" high in the spring. So, it's gonna get trimmed today, too, along with the trees in the back. My lilac tree has lots of buds ready to burst out, and my violets springing up pretty well, too. My neighbour's crocuses and irises are looking wonderful-I'm planning on finally getting a good selection of bulbs in this fall.

But my biggest project is fencing in the back yard. I'd love to be able to just open the door for the dogs and let them run outside and play without having to be on a leash. The yard is only fenced on 2 sides right now, and Bronny will take off if not safely leashed, so....it's past time, I think, to fence at least part of the yard completely.

Here's what it looks like now:

The thick blue line along the one side and the back is the existing fence. The driveway/garage location makes fencing the rest of the yard kind of a problem. Right now, with only one car here, I park up by the front of the house so I don't see a problem with fencing off access to the garage but it's causing quite a debate with hubby!

Here's what is most likely going to be done this year-just the side yard fenced in for the dogs:

The red would be the new fence-only about 4 sections of chain link fencing needed, no gates. There's a side door off the kitchen that would let us go in and out. Not too bad a solution, but I'd like the whole yard fenced. Here's where the debates start .

This is my ideal yard plan:

Can you guess why hubby objects? Yep, I'd like to see the garage and all the asphalt gone! In all seriousness, the garage is unusable as it currently is-the flooring is shot, it has a pronounced lean to one side, there's no power to it anymore and several generations of feral cats lived and pottied in it so it smells awful. (Nothing against the cats, they had to be somewhere but they have left the garage in fearful shape). Oh, and before we bought the house, apparently some kids used to break in the back window and use the back part of it for a party spot. They did more damage than the cats for sure.

So it would be cheaper to have it torn down than to rehab it. We can agree on that much-it's just that he'd prefer to rebuild it complete with power and water and heat out there, so he'd have a workshop. I agree that that would be nice but $40k to build a guy-land is not in the budget.

I think this will be the eventual compromise, in a year or two. Then I can plan gardens at the front, and the dogs can have the back-that way, we're all happy!

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old April 22nd, 2007, 07:58 PM
Learning fast

If your going to go the chain link then you could always sink tubes in the ground (plastic drain fits real snugg) and put the posts in the tube, so when the time comes you can just slide out the posts and replace elsewhere. That way you can start with the ideal plan and change it as you go, reusing the posts all the way. If you knock down the garage you can make the base for the now one and have a hard standing and he can build as time/money allows leaving you with the whole garden in the mean time