Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 17th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Unhappy Horror over for this year....

I know the subject of"hunting"is a sensitive one on this board,with pros and cons,but....
I just read a column written by a Canadian currently living in the UK.In Europe pictures of cruelty,blood and gore is seldom censored in the news.
I seldom look at pictures describing any cruelty to animals,but this man needed no picture to describe what he had seen.He tells about his feeling of shame,watching our seals being clubbed and enduring unspeakable cruelty,one especially grabbed his attention,where a seal still alive,with one eye out of it's socket,blood pouring out of his mouth,still crying like a baby,as the"hunter"started skinning him alive...
I've heard all the excuses,about the hunters needing to feed their children and that the approx.$1.300 they each make is a boost to the economy.
I can reluctantly understand the"culling"of certain species,done in a humane way,but the"seal-hunt"every year goes beyond cruelty and it makes me sick.Not because the seals are cute,like the hunters like to point out,I would feel the same way were they Alligators or any living creature..
In this day and age with all the resources available,surely there has to be a more humane way to kill an animal
The rest of the world has every right to condemn us for this yearly practise,I am just glad it's over for this year,the remaining seals can breath a sigh of relief.
I know what the excuses if any will be forthcoming,the English fox-hunt,Spanish bull-fight and other cruel use of animals,but the annual seal-hunt takes the cake.
Old April 17th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Having watched large herds of deer starve to death, I am all for hunting. But what they do to baby seals makes me want to puke. There is a difference between hunting humanely to feed a family and save the herd, but nothing should be hunted so some rich woman can have a nice new coat!
Old April 17th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Lavenderrott,the biggest market for the seal-pelts are Russia and China and we all know who is making the big money and it's not the"hunters".
I just had to vent,because reading the article(stupidly)left me with a very sick,sad feeling
I need a morning smile!!!
Old April 17th, 2004, 08:07 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

always have one for you Anita
Attached Images

Old April 17th, 2004, 08:16 AM
banned user

I'm woth you Anita! Its disgusting how cruel the human species can be.

I still say everyone should read R.D. Lawrence books and wolves and how he explains prey to preditor ratio and how we as human have set it off balance.
Old April 17th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's Luba,together with Amaruqs avatar(I have a thing for that face!!),I feel better..
Old April 17th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Amaruq,I got another one of RD.Lawrence yesterday,just titled"Wolves",again more of a school-book,with lots of beautiful pics...But lots to learn..
Old April 17th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Senior Contributor

I just saw the first Gold-Finch of the spring at my finch-feeder,it was worth another great big smile and happiness-rush
Old April 17th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Anita I hate to tell you but I've had them all year ....

na na na booo booo
Old April 17th, 2004, 12:06 PM

Cruelty to any animal

Well, I am going to stick my nose into this conversation and if I irritate someone (Hunter or not) so be it.
I am not against hunting for the right reason as long as the death is quick and humane.
As for clubbing seals or skinnning them alive if I were to catch someone doing it there would really be a mess left behind and it would not be the seals.
Ending a life is one thing and even as a rescurer of many years I have had to end the life of animals -even in the wild - who were sick, injured and in a couple of cases threatening the life of someone.
Another vicious thing is dog fighting and the people who do this should be stopped one way or another.
Back to seal clubbing it is not in my mind - and that is the only one that counts on this issue-forgivable to beat any living thing to death. If you have to or want to end the life do it without suffering to the animal. I personally hope there is a special place in a remote corner of hell for all animal abusers and those who inflict pain and suffering on any living thing.
Ending life is one thing but causing inhuman suffering and unbearable pain is just beyond forgiveness.
Old April 17th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Woodbyter,you have my vote
I guess Canada does not care what the rest of the world says,but we should
I as a Canadian,have a right to protest something that sullys my country to the rest of the Western world,our wishy-washy government should put a stop to this outrage.
The seals,if they need to be slaughtered for profit,could easily be shot between the eyes,they just lay there and wait to be butchered,it's not as if they were a running target like the deer.
Oh well,it's a burning issue with me and I'll quit before I get sick again

Luba,I have not seen one Finch all winter,lots of others though,that's why I got soooo excited seeing one today,it does not take much to get me excited,when I saw the first Robin,I just about cried,that's how much I love spring....must be my age
Old April 19th, 2004, 09:30 AM

My 2 cents-I have to agree with LavenderRott these seals should not be hunted for furs in the manner so some rich snob overseas can where a fur coat, Being First Nations myself there are humane ways to hunt and provide food for your family or community. The reasons for herds of deer dying is depletion of their natural habitat causing them to starve when winters are hard.