Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge

Old April 17th, 2007, 07:41 AM

Sarge's story

I have had the pleasure of being the mommy to a Bullmastiff. He was born 12/4/2005. We got him when he was 9weeks old, and let me tell you instantly fell in love. It was no different than the day they put my biological children in my arms. Except they didn't weigh 22 lbs at 9weeks . He was so much fun to watch grow up. Anyone who has ever had a Bully, knows they like to get into EVERYTHING. By the time he was a year old all of my daughters barbies were missing hands and feet and faces, My dining room table and chairs legs are scarred and scratched beyond belief. He LOVED the trash too....It didnt matter whos it was iether, ours, the neighbors,or the people on the corner whos house we walked past daily. He even made the long journey with us from the United States to Germany, where my husband's job (army) has us living at the moment. At 8months old he weighed 77 lbs, but he knew we had a secret. We would wait for dad to go to bed then he would gently sneak into the bed with me and daddy quietly as to not wake dad, cause dad would make him get down, he then layed across my legs and that is how we slept. He learned how to open the doors in my house i.e. bedrooms, pantry, closets,bathroom. I came home one day and discovered that he got into ALL the potato chips and bread in the pantry. Guess he wanted a snack, but he knew he shouldnt have done that cause as soon as he heard that door open he ran down the hallway opened my bedroom door jumped up on my bed and "pretended" to be asleep. Well after that how could he be in trouble right? Also just a couple of months ago I decided it was time to start potty training my 2yr old son, so I went to the store bought a little potty chair. Every day I noticed there was pee in it, I was soooo excited I told my son what a big boy he was and that he used the potty all by himself....welllll that wasn't entirely true. While watching t.v. one night my husband and I saw Sarge lift his leg and peed right in the potty chair, not on the wall or carpet directly in the potty chair. I ran to get the camera but unfortunatley I never got the chance to capture that moment. I knew he was smart but who could have imagined that right? Well April 15th was the saddest day. At 16 months old weighing in at 110 lbs Sarge passed away in my bathroom. He had been sick for 2 days and I had rushed him to the vet on 2 seperate occassions that weekend. He died from the most common reason I have been reading, a chicken bone had been lodged in his intestine which caused the intestine to rupture and the toxins in his waste went into his system and fatefully he had a massive heart attack. The sad thing is that I NEVER gave him chicken with the bone in it. So I suppose he may have gotten it from one of my smaller children or maybe out of the trash or outside somewhere. I dont know but I wish I did. The vet I sought his treatment with was very negligent in the care he gave, and now my baby is gone. I have found it very hard to remove his toys and water and food dish, I have still yet to clean up the last mess he made Sat with his food because it is the last one he will ever make. I also am reluctant to mop the floors because then the puppy tracks will fade, because he LOVED to track or eat on my floors as soon as the were mopped. But what I wouldnt give to clean up puppy pee or have a huge mess of food to clean up. I miss hearing that roaring thunder coming down the hallway when we would come home, and my bed feels so empty at night. I just want him back. I know he is at peace and he was cremated and his ashes scattered so he will always be free, but I miss him so and I will forever. Someday I will own another Bullmastiff, or better yet someday another Bullmastiff will own me, but right now, I am going to cry when I need to and laugh at the funny moments over the last 14 months. He was a great friend and to know him was to love him. He will never be forgotten nor will I ever stop wishing that there was something more I could have done for him. Rest in Peace my sweet love.....I love you baby

Name:  SARGE.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  3.6 KB
Old April 17th, 2007, 08:39 AM

I am so sorry to hear of your loss....no words can take the pain you are feeling away, hopefully you will soon be able to smile and recall just the good times.

Run free sweet Sarge....

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old April 17th, 2007, 09:38 AM

Oh I am so so sorry. Your story has brought me to tears and you describe him with such love.
I know your heart is breaking right now and this is the most difficult thing to go through. I hope you can get through this and be comforted by all of the wonderful memories you have of Sarge.

I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you right now..

Sarge
Old April 17th, 2007, 01:34 PM
-

My deepest condolences to you and your family. Run free at the bridge sweet Sarge.