Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 9th, 2007, 11:35 AM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Orijen Dog Food

Hi, just wondering if anyone feeds their dogs Orijen? Dazy's been on it for a while now, we just bought her third bag of it, and she seems to be doing well on it. It contains a whole lot of good stuff. It's the large breed puppy formula. She was super flakey before we switched her from Nutro Natural Choice, but it's cleared up. It's much more expensive, but she went from 4 cups a day on Nutro to 3 cups a day of Orijen, but hardly eats it all, she may actually only eat 2 cups a day of kibble. (plus lots of good quality treats for training and other snacks such as raw veggies and fruit)

Another question - at what age would you say you should switch them to an adult formula? I am wondering what everyone says, the back of the bag says to feed this large breed puppy formula until she is 12 - 14 months old, my vet says 10 months old, called another random vet, he said 6 months old, the breeder says right after she was spayed, I get so much contradicting info. She is spayed and not at all over weight, she is still growing, almost 7 months old, and very active, I'd hate to do it too soon.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old April 9th, 2007, 11:57 AM

Glad to hear of a puppy doing well on Orijen. When I get another puppy in the future I sure would like to try it on Orijen puppy formula. Meanwhile, I've had my 6 year old golden retriever on Orijen Adult for 6 weeks after having been on Nutro Lamb and Rice. He loves it and the improvements have been remarkable in coat and skin condition and energy level. I feed him 2 cups a day (divided between breakfast and dinner) with a squirt of salmon oil plus give Innova Evo bones as reward and training treats. Eliminating grain from his diet seems to do well for him.

Can't give you any expert advice about when to start adult formula. With any dog I've had, I usually split the difference from what the vet said (always an early age) and what most dog food bags say (usually much later) and began adult formulas around 9-10 months of age. I'll be interested to hear what others have to say about it.
Old April 9th, 2007, 12:36 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

I switched her mostly cuz of the skin issues, she was so flakey, and we are in Calgary where it is super dry! Plus according to the Nutro bag, at 4 months, she was eating 4 cups a day, too much food for a small belly! Less in, less out!!!! Works out well for all of us. We give her mostly grain free treats as well. She seems to be fuller on it, she doesn't eat like it's her last meal anymore. My only issue/caution is that it's very high in protien, too much of it goes right thru her!!! Other wise we love it.

Old April 9th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

I'd say switch them when they hit their adult weight. If you'r not sure what that is, Id say 1.5-2 years of age.

What kinda doggy we talking here?

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old April 9th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

We made the change to Orijen as well and are quite happy so far! It is new though and somewhat difficult to get. I have been speaking to the pet store close to me to see if they can carry it! Winston's coat is really much softer...poops are really good now! and he likes it! I am not sure what to tell you for the food switch...my boy was a large puppy! and I cant really remember when we made that switch! Glad to hear you like the food!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 9th, 2007, 02:06 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Female Golden Retriever, she's about 55lbs now, at almost 7 months. Her build is tall and thin. Why, here's a picture of her from 3 weeks ago....
Attached Images

Old April 9th, 2007, 02:10 PM

She looks very nice.

Reason is, most thinking says to limit protein levels in large breed dogs to grow them slower. Around 18-25% protein until they're an adult.

But I dont really consder Goldens Large breeds, but thats just me.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

Old April 9th, 2007, 02:20 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Orijen has a large breed puppy formula and a regular puppy formula, the one Dazy is on is 70% protien, which is alot, but when I contacted the manufacturers they told me it's designed for large breed growing puppies. My vet said it was too high a % as well, but he also tried to sell me Medical which is $70 a bag for food that is mostly corn.

I thought Goldens were large breed when we first got her, but after a few trips to the dog park, I'd say they are in the middle of the pack, there are some awesome huge dog breeds out there. HUGE!

Old April 9th, 2007, 02:45 PM

hehe, its not 70% protein, its 42%. Its 70% meat

I can honestly say I'm not sure about the high vs low protein for large breed pups. Sooooo many bullmastiff breeders I know say low protein. But that doesnt mean they're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Girl View Post
Orijen has a large breed puppy formula and a regular puppy formula, the one Dazy is on is 70% protien, which is alot, but when I contacted the manufacturers they told me it's designed for large breed growing puppies. My vet said it was too high a % as well, but he also tried to sell me Medical which is $70 a bag for food that is mostly corn.

I thought Goldens were large breed when we first got her, but after a few trips to the dog park, I'd say they are in the middle of the pack, there are some awesome huge dog breeds out there. HUGE!

Old April 9th, 2007, 02:59 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Right, sorry.

Old April 9th, 2007, 03:25 PM

The point is not to restrict protein levels, rather to restrict calcium and calories. High protein has not been shown to have a bad effect on development, but calcium and overfeeding have.

At her age and her breed, it's less of a concern, IMO.
Old April 10th, 2007, 04:42 PM

Hi Ford Girl - I have been feeding Orijen to my two dogs for about 8 months. I started when it first came out - as soon as it was available here in Winnipeg.

One of my dogs had a sensitive tummy and the other has allergies. This food has made a world of difference to both of them.

Oh - and I just found a local petstore here that sells it $5 cheaper a bag - plus they have a buy 12 bags get the 13th free - it pays to shop around I guess!

I was trying to remember when I switched to adult food - I think it may have been a year old???

Dazy is a beautiful dog!