Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 8th, 2007, 10:59 AM

Question cat - blood on outside of stool

Hi, I am new to this forum, but yes, I know that my cat may or may not need a Vet. Her problem is new, only 3 occurrences over 3 days. I would like some input on what I should be asking/expecting from the Vet if the problem continues.

My 12 year old female cat has passed blood on her stool. The first part of the stool is normal and the end is a little soft and the blood is on the outside of that part. Just a small amount and it is bright red. The stool itself is a normal color. I change her cat food regularly, but she had not eaten any of those brands that have been recalled. She is now eating a very good brand, holistic type. Sometimes before, she had dry stools but was not constipated. She has never had a blood problem before this new food, which does not have animal by products, corn wheat, or soy. She is an indoor cat. Her weight is stable and she does not seem sick in any other way. What do you think? Thanks.
Old April 8th, 2007, 11:55 AM
~Cat Servent~

Well make a vet appt right away and get her in as soon as possible, don't wait. If it is serious, timing is everything. Make sure to take a stool sample with you when you go (the vet may use that to determine what is going on-it's ok if it has litter on it). I have had this once or twice with my cats but usually only once, and with an unusually large stool and it doesn't happen again. I think also that frequent diet changes are very hard on a cats system, so if you have found a quality food, stick with it. There are many things this could be and only a vet could tell you. Hopefully it's nothing serious and your kitty has many more happy healthy years with you.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Yeah I agree, I would bring her to see a vet.
Old April 10th, 2007, 05:05 PM

If the blood is on the surface of the stool only, then it might be from a rectal tear near the anus, or from a hemorrhoid inside the rectum so your cat might just have had a hard time pushing it out. If the blood was mixed in with the stool or black instead of red, then it might have been from bleeding inside the gastric system or the colon which could be more serious. In any case I agree you should pay a visist to the vet just in case, especially if it happens more than once. (I am not a vet, but a critical care nurse, and this is how we diagnose rectal bleeding in people...so this is my opinion but a vet would be better to ask of course). Good luck with this, and hope it's not anything overly concerning.