Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old April 5th, 2007, 08:43 AM

do cats need variety?

we have been giving our kitty Performatrin kitten kibble since we got her - the same stuff they were giving in the shelter we got her from, as I didn;t want to change her diet along with all the other upheavals of that week (she had gone from original home to a neighbour, then to the local shelter when the neighbour's husband had a severe allergic reaction to her and her sibling, then to our house!). We give her a little wet food (also performatrin) on the weekends as a treat.

DH is feeling sorry for her on this boring diet and things we should give bits of human food for a change and a treat. I think I should stick to prepared pet foods (as long as they haven;t been recalled!).

What do you think? Could she have the occasional bit of cooked, unspiced meat or shrimp? (I cook a lot of curries etc but would never give her spicy food! ).

She has helped herself to bits of cheddar cheese that fell on the floor, and got into the milk bag yesterday (don;t ask). There seem to be no ill effects but I have read that dairy products aren;t good for cats.

My mom;s cat used to like the occasional bit of potato chip - regular flavour only, she would flick a paw in disgust at all others.

Please advise. TIA.
Old April 5th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Senior Contributor

most cats need more water in their diet, and a great way to get it is by feeding some wet food daily. I have 2 cats, both get kibble daily, BUT each also gets 1/4 can of wet food as a meal. Also, I frequently give my cats fish (haddock, tuna, salmon, tilapia, etc), chicken, pork, beef, etc... not alot, just a bit of good meat when it's available. (I feed cooked meats - no breading, no spices, just plain and cooled off)

I have given my cats a bit of cheese here and there (mild mozarella), but skip the milk. Potato chips are not recommended either.

My cats really love Merrick brand canned foods and Wellness brand.
Old April 5th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I don't know whether cats need variety, but mine like variety. In both cans and dry food, I make sure I switch between different brands of dry and canned to keep them happy. As for people food, I give them ham, turkey, chicken or beef, whatever I've cooked for dinner, they're happy to sample. Tiny bits of cheese once in a while too.

Cindy
Old April 5th, 2007, 01:03 PM
-

I feed the same as both jessie76 and clm.
Old April 5th, 2007, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the advice. I was planning to skip the potato chips and the milk was a feline raid, not anyone giving it to her on purpose LOL.

I;m sure she'll enjoy the plain bits of meat etc But I have to make sure she doesn't think it's a licence to beg. I can't stand pets begging at meal time!
Old April 5th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree dont know if they need it but i like to give our kitten variety,she gets solid gold wet and innova dry,then i might go back to solid gold dry,we also let her munch on people food once in a while,a little cheese here and there,and for sure if we have turkey or chicken she gets some,.and she also loves popcorn,and licks off your spoon if we have ice cream(no choclate)