Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old April 4th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Update and pic

Well its been three weeks now and Bruce is doing great. Two weeks of nothing but chicken, and on his third week he is now eating pork and some liver for his dinners.

I have been feeding him a chicken quarter bone-in in the morning and 3/4 lb of boneless pork for dinner, does this sound like enough food for a day or sould i up it? Also he did not take well to beef seemed to upset his stomache so i put him on the pork. Is beef harder to digest than chicken or pork?

Thanks for all your help!!!
Attached Images

Old April 4th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hi John B! Bruce is such a handsome boy! I am sorry I am not familiar with the RAW Diet but I am sure one of our other forum members will be able to help you for sure! Good Luck!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 4th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Honest Contributor

beautiful boy!

Quote:
I have been feeding him a chicken quarter bone-in in the morning and 3/4 lb of boneless pork for dinner, does this sound like enough food for a day or sould i up it? Also he did not take well to beef seemed to upset his stomache so i put him on the pork. Is beef harder to digest than chicken or pork?
First, how much does your boy weigh, how old is he, what is his level of energy and exercise? he doesn't look like he needs to lose weight... i am assuming the chicken leg doesn't weigh more than a small pound so yes it might be OK in terms of food quantity, or it might not be enough - your dog looks big

beef is not harder to digest than pork, it's just different. Which part of the beef did you give him? only meat, or with bones? how much fat? it can take a long slow introduction, say 1 small piece of beef with his pork dinner, then a few days later two pieces of beef and less pork, etc.

you can feed pork ribs and neck too, those are edible bones

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old April 4th, 2007, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the compliments!!

Technodoll, he is 9 years old should be about 95lbs, he is a little light right now as he had an intestinal infection in the fall and lost some weight.

I run him pretty hard 3 or 4 times a week, other than that he is pretty much a couch potato. The beef i tried was chopmeat 80%. Some came back up, and it didnt seem to sit well with him.

Thanks again, John
Old April 4th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Honest Contributor

well, applying the general 2 to 2.5% rule, your boy should be eating about 2 to 2.5 lbs of bone-in meat per day (with organs and other good stuff thrown in during the week). So i think you are not feeding him enough and he won't put any weight on unless you up his daily food amount. How about two chicken quarters for breakfast, and the pork at night? just a suggestion

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:43 AM

Yea, he is only getting about 1.5lbs a day, so i will start giving him halves for breakfast. Thanks for the advice.
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:07 AM

first of all he's beautiful! are there any suppliments we should feed with a RAW diet? i am afraid of all store bought food now
Old April 5th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Learning fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by debkeversole View Post
first of all he's beautiful! are there any suppliments we should feed with a RAW diet? i am afraid of all store bought food now
Yes............................And No?
It all depends on the needs of the dogs and what you intend to feed. If your going on just raw meat and bone and organ, then you need to pretty sure you have some variety (hence the frankinprey model), if you know you are going to be low in one area (farm raised animals) then you should think about supplimenting, I use eggs, would they be a suppliment?, also Omega 3's if no fish available cheap.
Glucosamine ect. for Missy as she has a pre-existing condition, Riley gets nothing except a good meal.
Some swear by probiotics, some stay well away. There are some good reads if you scroll down the list, there is a topic that many have included their favourite sites and they go into suppliments.
You can find raw items rich in the suppliment you intend to feed (duck feet for example) but it's really finding out what your puppy needs, if it can't be obtained in the raw diet, time to add it in.
Other than raising the animals yourself you have little control on how the meat is farmed so you have to make an educated decission.
Hope that helps
Old April 5th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Senior Contributor

What a handsom fellow...and I think he knows it too
Old April 6th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

He's a good looking boy.and big.
Old April 6th, 2007, 01:23 AM

debkeversole, I think you should ask your question in a new thread...

JohnB, you're feeding raw right? Not cooked? (just making sure because cooked bones can be deadly)
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:33 AM

Thanks everyone for the compliments!

Prin, ya he only gets raw.
Old April 6th, 2007, 08:14 PM

Phew! And he is a really handsome guy! Good luck!