Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge

Old April 1st, 2007, 11:46 AM

Blackjack, Lucky, and Raven

Over the last year parvo has been bad in our county, even in our own yard. March of last year the first litter of my dog Foxy contracted Parvovirus from someone bringing it in the house, or my sister bringing in stray dogs to show off. Raven fell ill first. My mother dismissed the thoughts of anything but from day one a voice in my head said "Get her to a vet, she has parvo." Sadly my mother didnt listen to me or that little voice until it was to late. Raven was very ill. She couldnt keep down water and was having blood in her diareah, if not all blood and no diareah. I was with her all night. I watched her suffer without aid. The next day we took her to the vet, the day after she died.

Almost a year later, January of this year, Parvovirus somehow came back into the house. I couldnt understand how, since I had bleched down the entire area that Raven was in and most of the house. The only place I didnt tend to was the back porch where my sister keeps her german shepard/border collie mix. I can only think that the dog out there is a carrier. Either way the virus got back in the house. In september Foxy had given birth to three pups, two who had died at only a day and four days old from health problems, which my mother said come from their conception being only 6 months after Foxy had her first litter. The only surviver of that litter was my little boy, Lucky. He was hyper and loving, always at my side or on my lap. He became ill pretty fast. He hadnt gotten to the diareah stage, only vomiting. I knew from the first time he threw up it was parvo. We got him to the vet as fast as we could. And he still passed on after two days of doing better, over the weekend no less.

And finally, just this month, our baby Blackjack fell ill with this disease. He was born to Foxy's daughter from her first litter, Coco. She had four pups, two not any bigger than my palm, the first and smallest passing only hours after birth, and the third born passing only a day later. Princess and Blackjack survived and were healthy. They were born the day before Christmas. And... then again... the horrible virus was brought in somehow. Blackjack fell ill only last monday. We got him to the vet on Wednesday when he started to get to where I could tell what he had come down with. He had only started vomiting on Wednesday. We were in the vets office for 5 hours, the vet was rude and uncaring, and threatened to make us take him home to watch him die. She had us transport him to the emergancy clinic for night care, because it would be critical he had someone watching him for the entire night. We picked him up thursday morning. He gave my mother and I the stink eye, for taking him to the vets again, and when he saw my dad he cheered up, lifted his head, and wagged his tail. We took him to our other vets, and they took him thursday evening. My father called friday morning, he was fine, and called every two hours after that to check on him. Blackjack was doing fine, not vomiting or having diareah. Weekend came, and this morning we get a call saying he died. I cant help but think that if they had spent more time watching him on the weekend he would still be here and getting better. My mother finds it okay to pass the blame to me and yell at me constantly when I did everything I could. I have been doing my best to learn the symptoms of illnesses to be a Veternarian. Their passing has been painful for all of us, and I cant help but blame myself for thier conditions. But that is natural. Goodbye my children I will miss you greatly.
Old April 1st, 2007, 04:04 PM
Senior Contributor

That is alot of dead dogs, you need to get all of your animals spayed or neutered. Unless you are a professional breeder you should not be breeding your dogs. You are putting your animals at risk, you'll save yourself alot of heartache if you just get them all fixed. Tell your parents.

You will find that pets.ca is a VERY pro spay and neuter website, and you will get a strong reaction from members who read about your pets.

Sorry that you lost your dogs, but it can be prevented.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old April 1st, 2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacer View Post
That is alot of dead dogs, you need to get all of your animals spayed or neutered. Unless you are a professional breeder you should not be breeding your dogs. You are putting your animals at risk, you'll save yourself alot of heartache if you just get them all fixed. Tell your parents.

You will find that pets.ca is a VERY pro spay and neuter website, and you will get a strong reaction from members who read about your pets.

I know, I told my mom when she got her income tax to get em fixed, she refused and tended to our brats of cousins. I told her when Raven first fell ill to go to the vet, she ignored me. My mom is pretty money hungry, so odds are Id have to try to find a job and get them fixed myself, and there are VERY few jobs here that I can get into considering I dont have a high school diploma. I dropped out to take care of my mom when she had her stroke and her pacemaker/difibulator put in. And now that my dad just had one put in thanks to my sister and her boyfriend, I cant really leave the house and have peace of mind. My mom doesnt do anything to tend to anything but her money greed. Last job I had I blacked out at due to some menstrul problems, took her six months to get me an appointment for a gyn, my sister asks, she jumps. My sister's boyfriend works so my mom gets money by being my sisters little taxi cab. She says shes going to get Princess' shot boosters, like she was supposed to for Princess and Blackjack last month, but I doubt she will. As for being a pro breeder, She pretty much is, Shes been breeding animals and helping with cats and dogs birth compications since she was my age-ish, and I myself hope to get a GED to go to college to be a vet, since my county honestly lacks good vet hospitals.

The one we took Blackjack to initially had the snootiest stuck up vet I have ever met. You definatly dont talk down to your clients, you dont threaten them, and you certainly dont treat them like theyre inferior. Thats what she did to us. Im a sweet well behaved girl, I have never wanted to hit anyone in my life. The only time Ive ever hurt anyone was when my sister went to kick me, I cuaght her foot, and she tried to kick me with the other when I had hold of the one still, and she fell back on a rose bush. The vet made me want to deck her so bad. The vet who treated Lucky mis-diagnosed him at first, then my sisters dog, a mut, I dont know what breed he was, but he diagnosed him with Parvo without a test, She took him to another vet, they said it was poisoning. So... yeah... we seriously lack good vet hospitals. Bah sorry to rant, still dealing with my mom blaming me for them getting sick when i bleached down my room despite my pnuemonia prone-ness and spent hours scrubbing the floor, walls, and ceiling and she has yet to bleach down the house from when Raven was sick. And now I must go for the fumes are bugging my throat and lungs again, and I have another room to finish before I get to the hallway.
Old April 24th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Mum to the pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacer View Post

I agree completely, sound like a puppy mill not a proper breeding facility, breeders take care of their animals, give them the proper shots and health checks, they also schedule the whelping, and have the money to ensure the health and safety of their animals. Maybe you should report her to the proper authorities, sorry probably not what you wanted to hear, but spaying and neutering are obviously needed in this situation, so are the proper shots to prevent parvo in the first place. Sorry for your losses.