Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old April 6th, 2004, 06:19 PM

Beagle help please!!

Hi! My hubby just brought home a beagle cross (don't know what he's mixed with) & so far, he seems great. He's a year old and is somewhat trained and is doing great with our family.

Problem is, hubby basically got the dog to travel with him on the road. He works in the oilfield and so was planning on having "Winston" travel with him, and then when hubby was working on site, just letting the dog run free and play 'til they were done for the day.

Since he's been home though, I've been doing more internet research which basically says that Beagles need to be kept on a leash otherwise they take off following squirrels, birds or whatever. So now my hubby is upset that maybe he won't be able to take him on the road.

I'm hoping though that since he's a cross, that Winston just taking off won't necessarily be the case.

Does anyone have any experience with Beagles or Beagle cross that they might be able to provide some help?

Any insight would be most appreciated!!!!!

Thanks!!
Old April 8th, 2004, 02:35 PM

Did Hubby think this thing through all the way? I can't think of any dog that I would want to let run free in an unfamiliar area (unfamiliar to the dog). Who knows what wild animals he might run into or what diseases they may have? I'm sure the dog would be having a great time, until he gets rabies or ripped up by a weasel or something. Oilfields are usually out in the middle of wild land.

If Hubby is dead set on traveling with a dog he will need to take a portable doghouse, for protection from the sun; lots of water and water and food dishes; and stake the dog out on a very long lead. My experience with oilfields in Texas is that they are hot during the summer and have very little if any shade. Hubby should also invest in an animal health insurance policy so that any emergencies can be handled at any clinic wherever he is and carry a copy of Doggy's medical record with him.
Old August 9th, 2004, 01:25 PM

I'm pretty sure that any dog given the privilage to roam free will be prone to "running off" while someone's back is turned. Think about it as a child. You wouldn't take a 5 year old to a work site and allow the child to roam about freely. The child could get into something, or wander off and get lost. A dog is no different.

As for a beagle, I can tell you that they're very prone to wandering off. They're also not very good at coming back when they're called. The more you "chase" them, the more they seem to think they're leading you to whatever quarry they're tracking.
Old August 9th, 2004, 02:09 PM
banned user

I live in an oilfield county and many of these guys have their dogs travel with them. In the wide open spaces it is easy to spot your dog if the dog wanders a bit too far. Most of them have water under the truck (where the dogs like to recline in the shade), and it seems to be a habit that they even have ice chests for them to recline in or on if they get too hot!
With all due respect to those who thought this a bad idea, it is part of the oilfield life out here and a very common practice. These guys work long hours and value the company of their "helpers" (as they like to call the dog lol) every bit as much as they would a human best friend tagging along. The routine becomes very familiar to these dogs and they seldom wander off. Every now and then a "stray" will show up on location and is always taken in by the oilfield guys- who then call all of the oilfield companies in the area to say they found someone's "helper" or "partner". So yes, sometimes they wander off, usually their first time out. But usually they stay close, and after being trained to do so that is not a problem.
You should worry about the beagle, though. I've had one. They will take off when they pick up on a scent and nothing you do will stop them. It's not the dog's fault, it is what they were bred to do. This is a poor choice for an oilfield partner. Unfortunately, you didn't know that at the time.
Most of the folks out here favor blue and red heelers for their oilfield dogs. I think they tend to stay with the "herd". But I've seen plenty a mutt in the back of those trucks. Just never a beagle.
Hopefully whatever breed this beagle was crossed with will be the dominant personality in the dog, if your husband still chooses to take it along. Unfortunately, the only way to find out is the hard way, when the dog dashes off.
Old August 9th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

The original post was April and person never came back.
Old August 9th, 2004, 04:15 PM
banned user

Oh YEAH Ms. Smartie pants???

Well....well just because I didn't notice the date of the original posting doesn't mean that...that.....

(doesn't mean that I don't feel like a real dork right now....)

*Giggles*
Old August 9th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Dork award coming up....................lol
Attached Images

Old August 9th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Sometimes a post will hit home and you get all excited and start typing. Been there, done that. Someone always catches you!
Old August 9th, 2004, 05:55 PM
banned user

Yep, I'm bad about that. If it shows up on "new posts", I assume it is brand spankin new! But usually it means someone just newly replied or asked for an update.

Bah.