Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old March 24th, 2007, 11:24 PM
chronically insane.

I'm a vegetarian.. how can i do BARF without well.. barfing?

I just switched my cats to Felidae but I really want to try this whole 'barf' thing just to see if my cats like it. Thing is I'm a vegetarian.. and like I'm against buying certain brands and i've read lots of stuff about factory farms adn such.

umm so basically what brands can i use that are like free range non tortured things? im mainly looking for non-red meat because red meat just tends to gross me out beyond belief.

i'm just unsure of what i'm doing ^^ when i went to a specialty pet store today one of the ladys was very helpful and talked to me and my mom about BARF and all natural foods and stuff.
Old March 24th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Honest Contributor

well first you could call it SARF (species appropriate raw food) and then purchase meat-only frozen patties from your petstore... you thaw and serve, it's pretty much odorless and not at all messy, you don't even need to touch anything with your hands i know it's hard but nature designed your kitties to be obligate carnivores and by feeding them a SARF diet your are really optimizing their health and well-being - good momma!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old March 25th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

ok, first thing, get over the i cant feed it cause its gross mentality. Your cats are not vegetarians, so why hold them back from red meat because you find it gross? You're not the one who's eating it, so suck it up

Next, check out this site, on how to get cats started. It can be a long process with them, so you have to have patience.

http://www.rawfedcats.org/practicleguide.htm

Good luck

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old March 25th, 2007, 08:36 AM

You could feed them natures variety pre-made raw diets if you wanted. Alot of people are against feeding pre-made raw, but my dogs did extremely well on it. Its pricey for dogs, but for small animals like cats its not too bad.

http://naturesvariety.com/content.la...4697pHk18D446E
Old March 25th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Mom to a Hairy Little Son

I'm a vegetarian too, and have been one for 15 years. Before I started feeding raw, I had never bought or even touched raw meat!

Techno's suggestion of pre-made patties is exactly what I do - and it's great. It's easy to deal with and after a short time, I wasn't grossed out at all. (you barely have to touch it!)

I just had to get over my own issues with raw meat, and realize that while I did handle it (minimally), I didn't have to eat it.

I know it would be better if I could do Sarf by myself, but pre-made is a giant step in the right direction.

If I can do it, I bet you could too!
Old March 25th, 2007, 11:00 AM
chronically insane.

Thanks! Do I have to worry about anything like e.coli or salmonela (sorry cant spell it) ? I know alot of meat stuff is not all natural and i don't want to end up feeding my cat something that turns out to be all germy or contaminated >_<
Old March 25th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Senior Contributor

I've been a vegetarian for all but 2 years of my life, and started homecooking for my dogs about 2 years ago. After a few very embarrassing chats with my butcher and a couple of weeks of totally paranoid kitchen cleaning, it was fine. I just kept telling myself it was tofu made to look like meat (which is a bit harder with organs, but....)

Why not start with the pre-made raw like others suggested and take that time to research and get comfortable with the idea of meat, then see if you want to start doing it yourself.

As for your sourcing of meat, I think there are ways to try and be the most ethical consumer of meat possible, especially if you're only feeding cats, as the cost will be much smaller. Find locally produced, free range meat. Talk to different butchers in your area about where their products are coming from, maybe find other raw feeders and see about sourcing meat directly from a farm who's practices you okay with.
Old March 25th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Mom to a Hairy Little Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
Thanks! Do I have to worry about anything like e.coli or salmonela (sorry cant spell it) ? I know alot of meat stuff is not all natural and i don't want to end up feeding my cat something that turns out to be all germy or contaminated >_<
Nope. Dogs and cats have different digestive systems that us people. Their large and small intestines are much shorter, therefore their gut transit time is much faster than ours. This enables them to pass e.coli and salmonella through their systems without any ill effects.

As for you, just make sure you wash your hands after handling any meat. Don't forget to disinfect your countertop.

Good Luck