Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Movies - T.V. - Videos

Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:29 PM
Kitty Consort

Movies With Impact

It's great to see films that just entertain us. Laughs, action, fantasy, dramas. An escape from the stresses of daily worries is one of the prime reason in seeing films.
Other movies are designed to scare and shock, and many people like these too.

Of all the movies we see over the years, most are enjoyed, but more or less quickly forgotten.

Some films just impact us greatly though, deeply moving or thought- provoking. They're uniquely memorable for the way they affected us.

These are often documentaries or movies based on true life events, but can be fiction too.
And of course.. a film that's well presented and well acted is bound to reach us far better than a good story poorly done.

What films are ones that stand out for you as unforgettable films?

An Inconvenient Truth, A Beautiful Mind, and Boys Dont Cry are a few that really stand out for me.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:37 PM

The Day After Tomorrow and an Inconvenient truth hit me hard... The day I watched an Inconvenient truth was super stormy too, and we ended up losing power for 2 days... That really drove it in, IMO.. And I saw The Day After Tomorrow before Al Gore's and again after, and after was a lot scarier because so much of it matched up with what Scary Gore said..

As Good as it Gets and Elizabeth- for opposite reasons... Elizabeth is about self protection and strength in independence, while As Good as it Gets is about interdependence and opening up to people...

The Million Dollar Hotel- written by Bono of U2.. WEIRD movie, but it really makes you appreciate what you have...

The Notebook- because everybody wants that...

Cheesy movie, but 28 Days with Sandra Bullock.. It's like therapy in a movie.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I deffinatel agreewith the Bous Don't Cry listing. Also, Crash, and as sick and intense as it is, KIDS. That movies was crushing. Disgusting yes, but also intensely sad. Same goes for American History X.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:33 PM

The Mission
Grave of the Fireflies
The Lion King

Um, I'll have to think of some others. I don't see many movies! But I highly, highly recommend The Mission. I cry every time I watch it.

Same with Grave of the Fireflies. Just don't let your kids watch it until you've seen it first. It doesn't have cussing or sex, but it's so, so sad. (Tale of two Japanese WWII orphans.) Not for little kids.
Old March 24th, 2007, 12:48 AM

Oh, yeah, Crash was powerful too..