Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old April 5th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Senior Contributor

what a handful ......H E L P

Well I brought Buddy home and I am just exhausted.......

He is a very sweet boy and at 9 months he sits gives a paw and seems ready to learn but hey what do I know I have never trained a dog.

My main concern is cats ........the damn lady at SPCA said he would be just fine " he is still a puppy he will learn easily" HA

I know this is just day two but my cats are frantic Buddy chases them then seems to lunge and bark at them. I am so scared that he will hurt one that I have kept him on a leash almost constantly so I can control him however I'm sure that's not right.

Do I let him go and let nature take it's course? My friend says it's cause he's a pup and is overly curious he is 9 months old and I think never seen a cat!! Lady at SPCA lied to me said he had been with the cats and seemed ok. I wonder if she showed him through the glass and not actually in the room with him. Do I need to let him get hurt by one to learn?

Does anyone know a good site for dog traing I can look at for some basics?

My beau is starting to think this was a bad idea Buddy just wants to play play play is friendly with every one.

He slept in the room with me door closed to all cats . when I did my regular wake up at 2 am he was snuggled in bed with me.....SHHHHHHHHH dont tell anyone beau will kill me.....lol But it was so cute he loves to snuggle

I love this guy and want things to work out but need basic tips on..........

Keeping him away from counter top and table he is so big that his chin rests on our kitchen table as we found out while serving buffet dinner last night.
and other little things.

I have so many questions. I have never had a pup before!!!!! Bandit was 4 when I adopted him so I am so new to all this .

One good benifit .........excersise.....boy oh boy am I gonna loose weight tryin to keep up to this bundle of energy
Old April 5th, 2004, 08:40 AM
Senior Contributor

There is an excellent book called Dog Training for Dummies that might help you out.

If he is lunging and barking at the cats, then I would say he wants to play with them. I haven't seen him do it though, so I am trying to read body language I can't see. Is the hair on his neck up or down? Tail wagging or not?

He is a pup and new to your home. Tethering him to you will stop him from doing a host of things that you don't want him to do.

Check around and see if there is someplace you can get him into some basic obedience classes. From the sound of things, he might enjoy agility. That would burn off some of that energy!
Old April 5th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes I think it seems like he wants to play I never noticed if hair was up or down what do each mean?

Maybe he really wants to play you can tell thats all he wants from Ursa but she has no interest.......next week for easter bil comming with his dog she will play for hours with him I can hardly wait.

His tail does wag though I will definitly get the book and look into classes.....what do you mean agility....is this a type of class? Any idea on price ranges for classes so I know if they are over priced or not?

Teathering him to me? Sorry ignorant here does that mean keeping him close to me with the leash?

lol@myself I feel so dumb and I thought I knew alot about dogs only to have Buddy teach me ......I KNOW NOTHING.......LMAO
Old April 5th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Senior Contributor

When the hair on the scruff of the neck is standing up, it usually means that the dog is agitated.

Yes, tethering him to you means like you are doing with the leash.

Chase is 10, so I am not sure how much classes will run. I think they are running about $100 to $125 for a 6 week course, meeting once a week. But I live in Michigan, so I really have no idea how much they would be in Canada.

Agility is where they do all of the jumping, running through tunnels and the weave poles. You are guarenteed to loose a couple of pounds doing this!

I thought I knew a lot about dogs too. Then I joined an online rottweiler forum and I learn something new every day!
Old April 5th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Iggette...It sounds like your house is in total turmoil, it's probably to be expected the first day,but you love the puppy,so it's a very good start
I could not imagine bringing a dog into my cat-household,I'm waaay to old for that kind of excitement

How are the cats reacting? How many cats do you have?
Ursa seems ok though? I know cats can do damage to dogs,but as long as he is not angrily chasing the cats,maybe a little scratch on the nose will keep him away...Good Luck girl!!
I hope he does not have to return to the shelter
Old April 5th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Senior Contributor

I have 8 cats chico and NO i don't want to take him back when I adopt it's for life. We will get this turmoil calmed if it kills me .....lol

I'm 41 and quite out of shape as Buddy has shown me .

My cats are just in a state of panick I think maybe he is just looking for someone to play with I wish it wasn't so damn cold out I would have him out all day.

A trip to the pet store is in order to get a kong, toys and doggy frizbee,

Ursa is pretty good with him she has told him to bug off on several occasions she is to old for him . He just wants a play partner

My son is comming home this week that will be great he will love buddy he is 24 and full of energy as well ......lol
Old April 5th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Do I let him go and let nature take it's course?
Do NOT do this! It could result in serious injuries for both cats and dog, and set up a long lasting problem.

Keep the dog on leash, or confined behind a gate and teach him to "Leave it"!

Put a gate on the door of a room that has all the cat stuff in it, so they can go there when they want to.
Old April 5th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Senior Contributor

I have done that LR they're food water and litter are in my puter room upstairs and is blocked off i have just set up a baby gate so he cannot go upstairs.....boy oh boy I hope he gives up on the cats I love this guy but I love my cats too and don't want them to get hurt but we can't live like this indefinitly I wish he would just get a quick swat then learn his lesson and stay his distance
Old April 5th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I agree with LR someone could get hurt and 8 cats wowsers!!

He'll need to in time get used to them all....he's excited and free in his opinion and now will try to figure out his way in this 'world of cats and dogs and people"

So, I say give him space to run and play in the yard...but when he comes in try to keep him calmer ,, though he is a puppy!

Keep him on a tether close to you for now, and when he's really excited give him a fun toy or bone and let him go to the cage to chew it.
Congratulations on this baby and lets get some great pics soon!

OF THE WHOLE GANG

Old April 5th, 2004, 01:15 PM
banned user

Do I dare tell you this????

Stop reading if you don't want to know ok?

But my dogs do chase the cats (Remeber they both are handicapped) When I see this I either stomp my foot or I yell "Leave it". Cats have learned too to be careful around them. It has never beena serious bite or anything..just more bedlam then anything else.

Time is on your side!
Old April 5th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Senior Contributor

My Missy is a beagle mix. Try telling a hunting dog not to chase a fast moving cat! HAH!

And I was all over that too until... little Sassy bopped Missy on the nose when she was sleeping! It is all in fun though, Missy has never layed a tooth on the cat.
Old April 5th, 2004, 02:39 PM

Igette,

They do adjust! Honest!

I brought Oliver home at 8 weeks (he is now 8 1/2) months and he loves the cat and would never hurt her, but, much to her dismay, he sometimes thinks of her as a giant squeak toy! He wants to play with her all the time and does playful pouncing and chasing (he will back off when I yell at him or if she gets really ticked). As well, she can always get up her post to get away or into the storage room with the cat door (he is now too big to folllow...). It doesn't help that one of my parents' cats encourages him by loving the rough and tumble play!

Nadia is now getting her boundaries with him established and life is settling back down to normal. Since Buddy is already Oliver's age, once he gets settled into his new home and the excitement wears off, all should be well!

Best of luck to you and congrats!! I am so glad you finally found your new dog!

Michelle
Old April 6th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks all of you for your input. I guess I am just a paronoid mom. Buddy seems to be slowly adjusting although his eyes are on the cats the second they walk into the room. I think eventually he may be good with them, like you say he is just a pup and is learning. The cats all miss their cuddles and starting comming out one by one last night as they seem sure that I will protect them although they are very cautious indeed

Took a whole roll of pics but have to do a second to get all the cats will develope them tommorrow so you can see just how big this puppy is
Old April 6th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Iggette...I am sooo looking forward to see pics of your cats and doggies...
8 cats OMG
I have 3 sets of friends who actually all have 5 cats(HS)together they have 15...
Your house must be an awful lot of fun,I hope Buddy will be good to the kitties,he's probably just wondering what kind of funny looking doggies they are